September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. melissa

Let's see...first of all...I am a white woman, 35 years old. conservative, always republican, and I am voting for OBAMA!! I voted for G W Bush, and was never so disappointed in another human being in my entire life...he gives republicans a bad name! I am so turned off by his LIES, the total "skull in bones" B.S. and the rich getting richer while our men are dying in Iraq, while he himself dodged Vietnam, UUUGH! If MCCAIN agrees with Bush, it's a no brainer, he needs to Go!! Obama is going to save the economy, and that is why he gets my vote, THE MAN IS BRILLIANT!! So intelligent, thoughtful, precise, calm, and confident, OBAMA ROCKS!!

September 27, 2008 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  2. CHRISTian

John McCain,

I am very proud of the Nephilim/Illuminati Warrior you have become & I'm sure all of your Nephilim/Illuminati friends & family are too including of course, "The Prince" ! Your training was well demonstrated tonight.. The Force is strong with you. I am eagerly awaiting your reception of the baton from our current Nephilim/Illuminati Knight in the White House so that you solely can continue to push "The Agenda" forward as planned. Even though we only really need "4 more years" to transition to" the Big Event", I believe you have demonstrated strong enough faith to occupy the Presidential position for "another 8" ! I hope that I will be counted worthy enough to continue to positively participate. Thank you.

CHRI$Tian Verde in Liberty Farms, California, USA

This "Country First!"

September 27, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  3. dd

I was a Barak backer but now I'm positive that I was mistaken. It was nice thinking, for a while, that Obama could carry the country. Experience still trumps a good slogan.

September 27, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  4. John in DC

Ditto to FLDem

September 27, 2008 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  5. braggingrights

Mcain was miserable! I thought he gonna have a severe stroke! Palin could have taken over and porclaim she can she Russia from her Bathroom!. Mcain is just pathetic!!!

September 27, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  6. Jasmine

You didn't make me proud. You conducted yourself like an Angry, irratic, grumpy old man.

September 27, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  7. FreeMind26

Yes he did, he showed America that Barack Obama is more qualified. He argued that he was more qualified to handle the crisis while he was planning to cancel the debate he was having for the "grave danger of the nation"!!!

September 27, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  8. khanate

Why did McCain fail to look Obama in the eye? As obama spoke, his line of sight was about 70% on McCain and 30% on the audience and Lehrer. McCain looked at best, like the second string on a high school debate team. His speech was filled with uh, um, uh. I can not tolerate, um, uh, because it usually means you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I can never trust anyone who won't make eye contact with me.
    It is easy for us to post here on the internet, but nothing beats looking at someone straight into the soul.
    The V.P. debate will be a slaughter.

September 27, 2008 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  9. lia

I was not certain of who to vote for, but after watching tonight, it's Barack Obama. We need "real" change, and he's the man bold enough to make them, yet has the dignity and grace to reach out and form consenss. Unlike McCain who picked a candidate to try and convince voters he's interested in change. If change means selecting a person with NO real world experience, has to be shielded from press, has no opinions of her own (only the same talking points given to her). It's cleary a move to "sway" a segment of voters and not someone who can seriously run the greatest country in the world....it's a joke!

September 27, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  10. Fabian

The "Pakistan was a failed state" remark was a serious misstep for a self-proclaimed foreign policy aficionado.

September 27, 2008 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  11. jm

To be real,i think obama did anice job,i am an independent and am leaning towards to obama.looks like mccain want to start war with russia and iran and yet we cant win iraq war.what ahell is he intending to put america.i will vote obama.

September 27, 2008 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  12. Penn State Student

John McCain certainly made me feel proud. He's an outstanding man with a record to be proud of.

I thought Obama stammered through and maybe thought he was still in debate school because he just didn't come across to our group watching tonight that he was anywhere but ready for this level of command. Almost to the point that I felt O'Bama was a student of the U of M and McCain was the Professor who was explaining why this student is getting a bad grade.

About the only thing that I can agree on with O'Bama is that he agrees very much with John McCain.

The clear and defining moment for me to throw my vote to McCain was when O'Bama spoke about invading Pakistan to try and wrangle in Osama Bin Laden. That would cause three wars and in my opinion frightening to even consider.

September 27, 2008 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  13. LaVon K Hummel

No John McCain did not make me proud , His performance at the debate was childish. Should he not be wiser giving all his great exsperiance. My goodness who really has to ask who proved them selfs to be ready to be this countrys President. Obama is so great. and McCain looked snoty and petty. but some how they will take sour puss McCain and make him look like he is John Wayne + Einstein roll into one. they sold Sarah Palin. Well untill they let her take questions. (well sure. don,t cha know. well heck yeah!)

September 27, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  14. Ben Mokay

McCain I thought was very rude, made a funny face acting like an old mad man.
    The biggest thing he also did was which I find strange is that he never looked at Obama to acknowledge him, not once.
    Why does McCain only talks about war, really who CARES???
    We are loosing our jobs and home here do something about that, talk about it.
    OBAMA 08

September 27, 2008 04:21 am at 4:21 am |
  15. John in KY

I can think of (1) person you made proud! Sara Palin you just had to throw a bit of praise her way! but she, like you haven't impressed many VOTERS or the News Media. you have shown the American voter just how much you care about this country by putting her in position to become "Commander in Chief" with no experience at all!!
    and at the same time try to tear down OBAMA for lack of experience.

OBAMA-BIDEN

September 27, 2008 04:21 am at 4:21 am |
  16. Jen

I am not American, but I am here and the result if this election will effect me and my future. I am most curious to know why is there a minimum age for president and not a maximum? It seems to me that we should somewhat certain that the person who is in office would remain there and be fit to run until their term is up. McCain is 2 years younger than the average life expectancy of an American male, this is a very scary thought to me indeed. Someone please explain the reason why there is no maximum age? It seems only right, most people will not get hire over the age of 65 in this country. Why is it that the most important job in the country would welcome this? I mean no respect to the aging population, however, I believe 72 years old is quite old for this task. If this country does not repair itself in the upcoming months and next few years ... I fear that like all great empires have done in the past, it will come crashing down. I sincerely hope that people will realize that voting with emotion is selfish, and thoughtless. Whether it be hate, just because one loves a certain person's fashion style or because they answered a question in a witty and humorous way – is non-rational. I am hoping that people will wake-up, realize that America's decision will not only affect those who live here, here and tomorrow, but also the rest of the world. Because there are other countries lining up to takes it's place, and from what I see ... the choices are not so great. It will not be Sweden, England nor Canada, but China, Russia are among those who will take the reigns. I hope Obama does win, if he doesn't I truly believe we are all in trouble, a hole too large to dig out of ... ever.

September 27, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  17. Sharon Washington

Where is Sarah Palin, why didn't she address the media after the debates about the candidates view, that man j. g. is he going to take her place.She was terrible with Katie other day, so I will say he might try to be vp. .

September 27, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  18. John, FL

The media's predisposition to cover the two main political parties is unconstitutional.

September 27, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  19. Mark - California

Obama was perpared tonight this man is truly our next President. The Republicans and going to try and spin this McCain's way but all of the polls and I do mean all of the polls I've seen tonight gave Obama a clear victory (CNN, ABCnews, Politico, MSNBC, Gallup and even Fox, yes I did type fox.)

September 27, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  20. Brian

I second FL Dem's comment!

September 27, 2008 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  21. Proud I am!!!

Yes Mr. McCain you made me proud tonight. Proud that I will cast my vote for our next President Barack Obama. Thank you!!!

September 27, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  22. Proud

Yes Mr. McCain you made me proud!! Proud that I'm supporting Obama, thank you.

September 27, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  23. Jim

How can he be 'proud' of the things he said in this debate? He basically said he isn't willing to sit down with leaders of other countries, and if I heard him correctly, he advocated going to war with Iran, Afghanistan and Russia on top of wanting to continue the current war in Iraq.

I wish someone had asked McCain whether he advocates a military draft. Where does he thinks the troops will come from to fight wars in 4 countries?

September 27, 2008 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  24. Krist

I was bothered by McCain's lack of looking at Obama during the debate. It took him quite awhile in before he looked at Obama – and then looked at him only one other time I saw. That is not very polite or diplomatic in my opinion.

September 27, 2008 04:34 am at 4:34 am |
  25. Ken

Being a Hillary Clinton supporter that is voting for McCain/Palin, I found that OBAMA IS NOT READY TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY!

McCain showed that he had the strength, experience, knowledge and talents to lead our country back from the mess that Bush and this 110th did less than nothing congress, which by the way has the lowest approval rating in history.

And this "less than do nothing" congress wants to give Bush a $700 billion dollar check, when the majority of the American people do not want to bail out the big banks on Wall Street.

McCain/Palin 2008