September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. S. Boatman

Obama Gets My Vote! I Have Never Had A Problem Looking Someone In The Eyes When I Talk To Them Or About Them! Mccain Just Lacked The Ability To Face His Opponant And He Did Poorly!

September 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  2. Marc PDX

You did just fine, John. I had to laugh when Senator Obama repeatedly answered Jim Lehrer's question about what "you'd cut from the budget as a result of the financial crisis" with places where he would actually increase spending. He just couldn't find a way to accept that things will have to be cut. Funny now, but if he gets elected it probably won't be funny for long.

September 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  3. Community Organizer in Illinois

Decisons are hard. Debates are hard.

September 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  4. Ron from Baltimore

Sen. McCain, you have certainly not made the country as a whole proud this week. At one time, you were our living war hero, "straight talk" and all. You have lost ownership of the honor those memories once held. McShame, McSeethe, McNot.

September 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  5. Chuck n Bama

Senator McCain schooled Mr. Obama in every way.

Obama is a socialist and will run this country into the ground.

September 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  6. MikeNJ

FLDem...you're an idiot....maybe you should start listening to what each candidate....Obama is full of empty promises....he has no substance to any of his proposals.....I always love to hear how he opposed the war 6 years ago.....Was he in the Senate then....I didn't think so...I love how he says we're in an economic crisis that's worse than the depression yet when he can do something about it he says"call me if you need me"..... if McCain is so wrong why did Obama say he agreed with him more than 10 times during the debate....wake up.... Obama is not ready to lead....He talks a good game and that's it...I would never entrust the safety of my family to that type of person

September 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  7. CFH

Obama made me proud tonight.

McCain came across as a tired old man with tired old ideas.

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  8. Mooseintheheadlights

I will 2nd that Fl Dem .
    He sure had a time with his temper and he looks like a ghost .

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  9. sjp

person to person, eye to eye, fact to fact. it was supposed to be mccains night and his strength topic, anything less than a decisive win means it became obama's night and it was very obvious there was no decisive win.

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  10. BeccaS

Obama gets points from me in only one area of the foreign policy debate. It was smart to connect our current relationship with Russia and our need for energy independence. Unfortunately, he didn't have me for long. Apparently, the only goal he was willing to throw under the bus in the face of worsening economic conditions was the timetable for his energy policy. Something about that just doesn't seem intellectually honest. Either energy is a high priority or it isn't. Because energy independence underpins any future economic stability for this country, it has to be a top priority, if not THE top priority, even above early childhood education. I mean, let's be honest, how much good is preschool if our childrens' safety isn't secured first?

Otherwise, McCain owned the foreign policy debate. McCain is right. An American president should not sit down with the leadership of a rogue state without precondition. It legitimizes extreme views as something worthy of high level discussion. Of course, I do not consider the president of Spain in that light, but the fact that it bothers the president of Spain that President Bush has not done so is extremely revealing of how these presidential meetings are seen in the eyes of the world.

The biggest gaffe Obama made was concerning Pakistan. I don't understand why this hasn't been seized upon by the pundits. McCain was absolutely right that you do not publicly challenge a new president with a shaky base of support, whose cooperation is definitely needed, with threats of border incursions. The fact that Obama has gone on the record with such statements just highlights his foreign policy inexperience. More importantly, Pakistan isn't just any country. It is a nuclear power. We need their cooperation, not just in flushing out Al Qaeda, but with nuclear nonproliferation. Huge, COLOSSAL mistake!

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  11. Carl

Same here.

I have to say, we need to move forward and in a postive direction.

Go BO 2008

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  12. Alicia

Made me proud actually honored to vote Obama

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  13. Scy

You didn't, John. You were sad, old, out of touch, and you have chosen a VP running mate about whom even conservatives are terrified. No, John. You made us sick.

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  14. Formerly for McCain, until this disaster

I used to be behind John McCain. Now, I cant remember why. He looked petty and poorly prepared and he came across as a liar.

McCain seemed irritated. I don't want an angry man with a bad temper with his finger on the nuclear trigger!

September 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  15. John Wright

I agree with Barack

"John is absolutely right!"

McCain/Palin

September 27, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  16. Drudge

OKAY EVERYBODY

DRUDGEREPORT IS HOLDING A POLL ON WHO WON THE DEBATE. SO FAR IT"S 67% FOR MCCAIN and 31% FOR OBAMA...LET"S GO OVER AND FARK IT!

September 27, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  17. linda

September 27, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  18. suzyku

McCain has NOT made me proud throughout this entire campaign. He's sold his integrity and NOT put country first! His judgment is non existent and he proves that by his VP pick and "pretending" to be presidential. He has become a very bad joke, I only hope it's not on this country!

September 27, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  19. tg

amen

September 27, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  20. Aiman Abed

As an engineer, I always value experience, however listening to McCain and Obama over and over; I do not feel the value of experience in politics. After all, Sadam Husain was a president for more than 20 years, what the experience did for him.

September 27, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  21. tonyinlargo

The three (3) main things that are not good for us about the Republican nominees for President and Vice President, John McCain and Sarah Palin are:
    • The same camp, i.e. the Republican Party, would provide the Advisors for a McCain-Palin administration as that which provided advisors to the present disastrous Bush administration.
    • These advisors would be led by the man who, himself, has accepted having voted 90 % of the time with the Bush administration.
    • This administration would have as the back-up for the office of the Presidency the least knowledgeable and worst prepared Vice-President in the history of the United States at a time when we could ill afford such a scenario.

It seems to me that Sarah Palin’s catapult into the Governor’s Office in Alaska was probably by default. I know people in the County in which I live who are better prepared to be Vice President of the United States than she is. If congressman Rangel got flack for saying it, then I’ll say it: Sarah Palin is “disabled”. I will admit that she’s got “a lot of spunk”, but she’s also as ignorant as can be.

The problem with John McCain is that he’s bullheaded and wants “victory” in Iraq much like the victory pronounced by Bush on the aircraft carrier. He wants instant victory. That will never happen. We will be fighting the war against terror and the Islamic extremists for decades to come. That is the reason why we must fight it differently than the way we are fighting it now. We must fight it smarter. That means that, just like a long distance runner, we must pace ourselves. The Islamic extremists are obsessed with killing us “the infidels” and imposing their government-religion on us as well. We must first understand this enemy who is already using our democratic weaknesses to make inroads towards the achievement of its goal. As we get to know this enemy, we must fight it by exploiting its weaknesses. We must also draw a line as to what we are going to accept of Muslim countries from now on. I believe that we have a system of reciprocity with regards to Visas with nations around the world. In that same light we should consider the entry and acceptance of legitimate, peaceful Muslims with treaties of reciprocity, with and by Muslim countries to accept entry in to their countries of Bibles and Torahs and construction of Christian Churches or Synagogues. That is not allowed now.

John McCain has stated that he would have fired the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for the failure of Lehman Brothers, Merryl Lynch and AIG. He has also stated however, that he is “always in favor of less regulation”. I guess maybe the best way to describe this is that, John McCain is “politically Bi-Polar”. Let no one be confused with regards to the Billions of Dollars that “were lost” by these companies. The money didn’t disappear into thin air, nor was it burned, shredded or destroyed. That money was hoarded into the pockets of people who sold houses, and the pockets of the realtors who made huge profits on commissions by selling to others whom they very well knew would not be able to pay back the loans. The relevant issue here is that the lack of regulations for the Banking and Mortgage Industries opened the door for this debacle. That lack of regulation is what John McCain and the Republican Party stand for. Make no mistake a bout it.

At this point in the political history of our country, I’m almost to the point of conviction that Republicans really have an agenda against Social Security because it was a Democratic President who introduced it into our way of life. I’m to the point of believing that Republicans wish to wipe it off our history books because they consider it a thorn in their side. If behind the scenes they can do anything to hobble it, they will, “to prove” that it was “a bad idea to begin with”. Republicans and their political money backers will sell the chicken coup for the right price and leave us hanging.

McCain and Palin say they are for less taxes. What they fail to see is that the war in Iraq and the construction of schools and roads and other infrastructure in Iraq is paid with our tax dollars, while our infrastructure is ignored. They also fail to understand that taxes are the glue and the fabric that help hold our country together and they are at the core of the economic and financial relationship among states and between states and the Federal Government. We should never be for less regulation, but rather we should look to improve the quality of the regulations. Likewise, we should always strive to make more efficient use of our taxes and not reduce them when we have a growing population to whom we can provide more and better services.

Finally, someone should explain the difference to Sarah Palin between a deficit and a surplus. It is rumored that when informed and asked by an advisor in the state Cabinet as to what to do with a $20 Million Dollar deficit that Alaska had, she ordered to have it : “Distributed it amongst the needy”. (mind you that’s just a rumor and joke, but I wouldn’t put it past her).

September 27, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  22. dave

Barack Hussein Obama sure made me feel better about voting for John McCain.

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  23. Wayne

The guy can't look at a person with whom he is having a debate? Is he 90 years old or 12?!?!?!? McCain is INSANE!!!!!

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  24. ALLAN USA

OBAMA LOOKS LIKE STUDENT IN FRONT OF PROFESSOR.

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  25. tg

I was very proud of Barack Obama and I fell at ease with his leadership.

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |