September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Andy Dufresne

I noticed the following things which are not all THAT important but kinda stood out to me.

1. McCain would NEVER look at Obama and appeared to have his jaw clenched the entire night.

2. After all the flack Obama took for not wearing a flag pin I wonder why McCain refused to wear one tonight.

3. McCain kept repeating laugh lines from his speeches but there was no laughter as the audience had promised to be quiet.

4. NEITHER of the men would commit to ANYTHING involving the near Trillion Dollar bail out.

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  2. MOTHERSHIP

McCain is an idiot. I agree with FLDem. He wasn't going to debate now he comes at the last minute, McCain to the rescue at the bailout meeting. Dude may as well not have went. He was ineffective and mute. Is that all there is???? Give me Obama any day.

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  3. RedFred

Oh, uh, well, uh, oh, let me explain, I agree with Senator McCain that he most effectively demonstrated his command of the issues with many pointed comments and very few generalizations. Obama on the other hand relies on generalities to make his stand. McCain knows the devil is in the details, and that comes from the kind of experience that only McCain has. Obama showed his freshman status over and over. By the way, if Obama is proposing an $800 Billion increase in Government spending on top of agreeing to the $ 700 Billion bail out plan, he could have at least identified a few programs he might have to cut back on. At least McCain is planning to cut back on government spending and in light of the bailout plan, that's going to be critical. I think Obama would agree that McCain is right on that point too. The general public’s opinion is the only one that really matters – I believe they will agree with me that McCain, by a very significant margin is the overall winner tonight.

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  4. Marc PDX

Obama keeps re-voting the decision to go to Iraq rather than how to address what we do from here. The next president will need to deal with the present not the past. A wise man once said "you can waste an awful lot of time and energy trying to create a better yesterday". Time to look forward and decide how to deal with the situations (and there are more than one) on the ground.

BTW, Dems, did you take note that Obama is going to increase the number of troops in Afghanistan if he gets elected? Does that mean he is going to be Owarah? I guess a vote for Obama is a reaffirmation of more war. Just something to think about...

September 27, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  5. Nossy

Obama is the man. McCain drop out houourably and we will respect you.

September 27, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  6. ever

it is amazing how mccain can lie and get away with it because he is old.wow!

September 27, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  7. Gary Chandler in Canada

Google all of the latest and most violence, INCREASING violence in Iraq. They will want more money soon and idiot McCain Palin and Petreus will call for Whirlwind OR Riptide... MORE GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD!!!

September 27, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  8. one nation under god!!!!

McCain pimp slapped obama.Onama look confused ams flustered.He even look in the aidienve for help/Obama looked highly coached where McCaom calm and compord.The fact that the liberal media and so called umdecided boters wenr for obama shows me he won ,I found myself actually feeling pitty for obama.And did you see the anger in obamas eyes.I knew McCain would win but not this but not this bad.obama has to be worried

September 27, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  9. Punahou

does he ever understand the poverty, sinking living standard in this country? forgot to mention his 13+ foreign made cars, countless houses

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  10. Joan

Clearly, Obama showed he's absolutely ready. Obama looked more confident and far more knowledgable about foreign affairs as well as economy.

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  11. James

McCain is the stronger of these two men. The only one that can be an effective Comander in Cheif!

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  12. Pete

I actually wound up liking both guys more... I feel better if either one becomes president now than before the debate. I think both candidates moved closer to the middle for the debate. I just hope they stay there.

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  13. FL4OB

Obama made me proud tonight by extending proper eye contact and acting as a statesman. He agreed to disagree, which is a sign of a true presidential leadership.

McCain avoided eye contact and appeared angry at times, showing a lack of proper temperment.

Obama/Biden '08
    Hands down!

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  14. Limon, CO

He didn't make me proud, and I'm still not his "friend."

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  15. Hobart

McCain never looking at Barack was unusually rude. It was very unprofessional and unpresidential.

McCain's condescending remarks about Barack's "naivity" were absolutely disgusting and I couldn't help but wonder if there was not a touch of latent racism in it.

On the points, it was probably a draw, but on style: McCain acted like a childish little jerk and Obama was a perfect mixture of strength and grace.

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  16. Will

Nope

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  17. Meko

Yeah John McCain, you totally make me want to work harder for Obama. What kind of man doesn't have the guts to even look his opponent in the face. Some maverick??

Obama 08

September 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  18. JW

"You're absolutely right", FLDem.

A little bit of debate humor

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  19. Ellen

Republicans did not like him in 2000 why is he so great now!!

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  20. Ted

Proud to be an Obama supporter, yes.

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  21. LEST

At least I know that I am proud to be a democrat. What about you Mr. Mc? Can you say the same?

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  22. West Virginians For Obama

McCain was angry and hostile. Obama was diplomatic and confident. Any questions regarding Obama's command of foreign policy can now be put to rest. He displayed a better grasp of foreign relations than McCain.

Obama/McCain 2008

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  23. Nossy

Obama is the man. McCain drop out honourably and we will respect you.

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  24. Gary Chandler in Canada

Obama was the only one who pointed out the a BIG factor in Afghan, the billion dollar poppy business!!!!!!!

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  25. IndCollegeVoter

I certainly know who I am voting for after this debate. John McCain gave all of us a clear image of who belongs in the White House. Obama's lack of competence was so apparent to the educated eye, that it would take the uneducated to continue to follow in his revolution.

September 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |