September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Joseph D'port - Ohio

I am a Republican, but McCain continues to misrepresent Obama. I have had it. I am for truthfulness and integrity. McCain has failed me and I am all for Obama now. At least I can be proud of Obama's precision in handling and communicating his positions – he is very presidential. I will vote Obama.

September 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  2. matt

i hope your so proud of me looking away from obama the entire debate. i claim im a hero. but i cant look obama in the face. plus i blink alot when talking. hmmmmmm could i be full of crap.

September 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  3. ElieH

I hated the fact that John McCain did not look at Barack Obama and he kept saying Obama doesn't get it! What doesn't he get? But overall it was a great debate and it was a tie on McCain's soil.

September 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  4. WeBoDave

Barack Obama is more qualified to be Commander in Chief and it was evident in this debate. Senator McCain's comments about seeing Putin as KGB and North Koreans as three inches shorter than South Koreans portray again his tone deaf, one dimensional stereotypes that he will bring with him if he ever became President. He seems even more of a war monger than W. He talks often about how he knows how to do things yet gives no specifics as to how we would accomplish them. Senator McCain can't even explain what constitutes victory in Iraq nor what specific strategy he would employ to turn the tide in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

September 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  5. Jim-undecided from AZ

John, you lost my vote tonight.

September 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  6. AUC

Can't wait until Thursday when Joe Biden and Sarah Palin debate; or will she be needed back in Alaska in case "Putin rears his head and sees her from Russia"!! Or maybe she'll be needed in Washington to help her running mate screw up stuff. What a joke!!

September 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  7. Baze

McCain just relies on an old world to validate his readiness for the new. Whenever cornered, he relies on stump speeches and "experience". He's ready for the Joint Chiefs, not the POTUS

September 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  8. matt

i look like suspect on the first 48. squirming arounnd like the Turtle I look like

September 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  9. RM

Yes you did!
    You told great stories. Great lies great lies. Pakistan wasn't a failed state.

September 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  10. RapidRay

McCain did not comment on the impending doom that Sarah Palin will face next week at the Vice Presidential debate Thursday.

“Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

September 27, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  11. vic

I am a registered democrat planning to vote for McCain. I would like to see McCain refute more of Obama's comments that he knows are incorrect.

I liked the way he (McCain) did not get ruffled. One note: I would like to see him look into the camera as he is speaking since he is speaking mostly to us – it is easier to make a connection with what he is saying – when you talk with someone you like to look at them – I like to see someone looking at me – better connection.

I feel that McCain has our best interests in mind but Obama has his interests and those closest to him (yes – even those he has tried to pretend are not close to him anymore) in mind before us.

September 27, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  12. OSWALD MATILYA

i was watching the debate and iam very pleased by senator john mc cain`s ability to reply to all questions against him, i wish him all the best aand i know he will be the next president of the united state of america.

September 27, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  13. Fazio

John McCain seemed tired, and at times, disoriented during tonight's debate.

I think the poll numbers correctly show that Obama was more Presidential this evening.

And after the debate... Where was Sarah Palin? It looks like the GOP did not want her to speak to the reporters and give her views. Ouch. That is not a sign of confidence.

Obama 08

September 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  14. CA Dem

Yes, McCain made me realize that Obama is the MAN to get the job done as President....WE do not need another Bush Puppet!!

September 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  15. FL GOP

I thought that Obama behaved awkwardly tonight, almost like he did in his interview with O'Riley at Fox. I expected him to be better than he was...like offering something more than his standard canned commentary. McCain does seem to be more poised and aware of the dynamics...better on his feet, so to speak. I really liked McCain's idea on a spending freeze. However, McCain's experience is his halmark and it was evident tonight. I will be supporting the more experienced McCain for the Presidency.

September 27, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  16. Michael for AZ

I just watched the debate and Obama made McCain look like Nixon. I thought Obama was relaxed while McCain look flustered at times. I felt Obama won the debate, but of course Fox viewers from their text poll had McCain winning by a large margin. Fox is fair and balanced? What debate were they watching?

September 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  17. Arsene

Obama shut me off tonight for my vote for MCCain. he convinced me tonight that he can handle not only the ecomomy but also the security of the United States.

September 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  18. David

John McCain reminded me of a grumpy old codger yelling at the TV.

What really stood out was that McCain seems to think there's nothing wrong with the economy that banning earmarks can't solve. He's been in Congress too long–it's left him with a very tiny worldview, mixing Cold War belligerence with Inside-the-Beltway lack of understanding of what real folks are going through.

September 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  19. emily

gag.

September 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  20. jerry

You just cant believe a word McCain says he tries to be on both side of every issue and it is him that just don't get it

September 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  21. ron

what an idiot. Has he seen the polls?

September 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  22. MF

Obama people need to get across the punch lines to him. He threw in a couple but he needs more that other people will remember. Mccain has not learned anything from having a knee-jerk reaction. He just stated that he will freeze all goverment expense to cut cost. You cannot do that. And what is this whole nonsence about earmarks: folks these are how some important programs are funded like that 300 million dollars John Mccain will give away for development of a better powered electric car.
    Also some of the govermental aids projects are just earmarks. You cannot get rid of these.
    Mccain will want you to believe that Obama is naive to sit down with a foreign leader – it is not presidential. But it is so presidential to say, 'I looked at Putin's eyes and what I see is KGB'. How will Mccain sit in a NATO meeting with this KGB guy. Hypocritical at its best. Actually worse.
    Obama is definitely more presidential than Mccain.

September 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  23. Slash

McCain, you made me proud-proud that I'm on Barack Obama's side.

Senator, please keep your long and off-topic stories about the good ol' days to Family Guy. Obama offered realistic, detailed plans for our future-and offered them with a level of professionalism and cordiality that you lacked tonight.

I think it's clear which candidate is more presidential now.

September 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  24. Teresa, Georgia

Senator McCain underestimated Senator Obama who took strong command over all issues discussed. Senator Obama was the underdog but he won this one hands down.

September 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  25. C.Mckenzie

John McCain proved tonight that he has a temper issue, he made childish remarks, and constantly tried to make excuses as to why things didn't go as planned. He didn't answer every question, and he rambled on and on telling these tedious stories, and trying to show sympathy for the american people. Clearly its not working, and I dont even think he believes himself when he says he will make things better. Bottom line....... he is just like bush! This country doesnt need anymore lies, or same policy that has done nothing but hurt us tremendously.

I Vote Barack 2008!!!!!!!

September 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |