September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Keith

McCain definitely makes me feel proud to vote for Barack Obama on November 4th. Thanks John!

September 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  2. Stacy from Loudoun County, Virginia

John, you should have respect for your opponent and look at him in the eyes. That is shameful.

September 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  3. Wayne in CA

i can see why he wanted to dodge this debate...Obama is unflappable..cool..Presidential...

September 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  4. Dr. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

IN YOUR HALLUCINATIONS BUD !!!

YOU ARE A SMALL COWARDLY SLUG THAT COULDN'T

EVEN LOOK YOUR COM EDITOR IN THE EYE, SAME AS

YOU COULDN'T BRING YOURSELF TO VOTE FOR A MLK

HOLIDAY. YOU ARE EVERYTHING WE NO LONGER WISH TO BE.

September 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  5. Susan

NO You DIDNOT.

September 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  6. Tom Eyemdaman

McCain didn't emphasize enough the tragedy he's trying to avert in the new "rescue" bill. Instead of government fronting the money, we should be granting loans to these companies.

Barack proved himself to be well-spoken but inexperienced. In this time of adversity, experience is needed – experience of reform. Barack has no experience with reform – NONE.

September 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  7. Double Talk Express

Wheels are coming off the express Johnny.
    Tonight was supposed to be in the McCain wheelhouse...McShame came across as confused, bitter, grumpy old man.
    Get ready to spin Keating Five....can't run from that, McLiar.

September 27, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  8. emily

my "gag" comment is referring to McCain's fake and cheesey comments. FLDem, I agree. I am overwhelmingly in favor of Obama. I can't wait to have someone who is real, competent and ready to fix our nation. If only he could haev come 8 years sooner.

September 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  9. Sherri

And for all the women voting for McWar I say send your kids and grandkids first!!!

September 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  10. Trang, Fremont, CA

Well, I am a supporter of Obama, however, I think McCain handled himself well in this debate after the chaos in his campaign.

Obama, despite his ums and uhs that was criticized by many, has policies are way much better for America, so I am still voting for him.

September 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  11. KW

NO, Mr. McCain, you did NOT show me you are qualified to be my commander-in-chief!! However, you did show your rude, arrogant and bullied temperment. If you think by talking over your opponent (during his turn), showing disrespect , not once looking at him, is a sign of a good leader...you are wrong!!! It will be my first time voting and i have no affilliation with any party....so, you could say, my vote is up in an air.
    I am sure, especially, after tonight's debates my mind is set. Barack OBAMA 08!!!!!!!
    PS..BIG mistake selecting Sarah Palin

September 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  12. jackie, california

Better to be in agreement with Bush sometimes over the past 8 years than Rev. Wright for the past 20 years. Obama should watch who he points his finger at.

September 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  13. Gary Chandler in Canada

Do YOU know, does McCain know that each American owes China twice as much as $2000 per Citizen Wall Street bail out to Communist China? You also owe Russia big time money and McCain wants to kick those countries out of the G8!
    << Obama and/or Lehrer should have brought this stance of McCain's up!
    McCain said 500,000,000 Billion to China, Obama had the correct figure 1,300,000,000 to China!
    Why would you want a man who attempted suicide to run your country?

September 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  14. ObamaDebateWinner

I'm looking forward to Biden and Barbie next week. :)

September 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  15. John

Sen. McCain, you surely make me sick.

And I am proud. Proud to support Barack Obama!

September 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  16. David Goldman for OBAMA

WE WILL BE PROUD WHEN OBAMA IS SWORN

IN AS PRESIDENT & YOU GOT TO THAT NURSING

HOME FOR GREEDY BIGOTS. COULDN'T LOOK

THE MAN IN THE EYE, YOU COWARDLY BIGOT.

September 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  17. Double Talk Express

Oh and John - try to get a suit that fits reasonably well for the next debate; might want to avoid looking like an oompa loompa....just saying....

September 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  18. FrankSmith

Yes, Senator- thank you for making me proud of the 20's. But you offered nothing about the 21st century and beyond! Here, I learned alot from Obama, not you. Thank you for confirming my decision about voting for Obama as the next President that will move this nation forward!

September 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  19. Strykar

John McCain made me feel much better about supporting him. He was considerably more mature, reserved and appealing.

Obama honestly has no real answers and continued to party-bash in a crucial time when we need cooperation amongst our lawmakers. He came across as a spoiled child several times.

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  20. L Rivera

McCain, you did real well tonight. Congratulations.

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  21. dixonru

I thought the debate was pretty good. Both guys did well, however, I think McCain lives in the past. This is a new day, we have many new problems and we need solutions. Also, I do not trust McCain's judgement as evidenced by his vice president choice.

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  22. Former Republican for OBAMA

NOTHING ABOUT YOU MAKES ME PROUD.

COULDN'T LOOK THE MAN IN THE EYE.

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  23. docluvfun

Mccain was presidental, obama acted like being in a bar trying to hook up with a chic trying to impress her even she does not believe him

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  24. BMartin, Duluth, MN

Tonight's debate definitely decided it for me. It's Obama. McCain = a word to the wise. You need to talk of the future and not the past, look people in the eye = and LISTEN to what the other guy is saying. Maybe just once you could say" On that point Barack and I agree" instead of smirking.!

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  25. usedtobeme

McCain needs to get his anger under control. He tried to smile through the irritation but those muscle twitches at the jaw line say more than words.

September 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |