September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Nija

McCain is very condescending. I am glad Obama put him in his place tonight.

September 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  2. Why I'm Proud!

THE PRIDE CAME FROM KNOWING THAT SENATOR OBAMA IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, AND McCAIN'S SLUGGISH DEBATE PERFORMANCE DROVE THAT POINT HOME!!!

September 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  3. PJ Cones

Senator McCain,

Before tonight's debate I was one of the undecided Independents that I know has become very important in this race. However, Mr. President after you performance I know that you are the man I will vote for. You made me proud,

PJ Cones

September 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  4. A NATION OF WINERS for OBAMA

YOU ARE ALL THE LIES THAT HURT THIS NATION.

HARD TO LOOK A MAN IN THE EYE, WHEN YOU

KNOW YOU ARE LYING YOUR HEAD OFF.

September 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  5. NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN!!!

You lost John. Senator Obama won hands down.

September 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  6. Holden Litgo

I, too, am even more confident in my choice of Barack Obama for President.

September 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  7. Larry, CA

John McCain indeed looked presidential. I have already voted for him and he will be our next President. We do not need gimmicks from in-experienced Barack. He is fake and he looked fake tonight.

September 27, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  8. dvdxtreme

I am an Obama supporter and I believe McCain did a good job on this debate. McCain looked very knowledgeable on the foreign policies issues, but Obama did not look weak either but Obama was too defensive from time to time. On the economy McCain did not look as good as Obama, he wasn't clear on what exactly he would like to accomplish in order to help main street on this current economic crisis.

My final verdict on this debate is that it was a tie. I pretty much believe that after next week's debate between Biden and Palin. The eleccion campaign will come to a close. Who ever wins the VP debate will win the presidency.

September 27, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  9. Gary Chandler in Canada

mav·er·ick n.
    An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.
    One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.
    Synonyms – nonconformist, independent, loner.

September 27, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  10. Ann

After this debate, I am definitely voting for McCain. I am a democrat; but I will vote republican for the first time in my life.

September 27, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  11. Madeupmymindtonight

This debate showed me who would be a better leader for this country and it is Obama. McCain showed that he had more travel experience than Obama but his inability to communicate in a diplomatic way was further demonstrated tonight. His character over the last 2 weeks and then his unwillingness to not even look at Obama was just a total turnoff. Senator McCain you should retire your days or done.

September 27, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  12. barbara in pa

He also made me feel better about supporting Barack Obama!

September 27, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  13. first time voter support McCain

Mc Cain you make me proud you're a true american, I will support you even when you have everything and everybody againts you . I will vote for you in november

September 27, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  14. thea schlosser /author about fibromyalgia

I am very proud of you senator MC CAIN .
    You showed who can run our country with dignity and strengt .

September 27, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  15. Monique

OBAMA won the debate

September 27, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  16. a southern bell for OBAMA

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING AS COWARDLY OR

AS DESPICABLE AS MCBUSH DURING THE DEBATE.

HE COULDN'T EVEN LOOK OBAMA IN THE EYE.

THAT BIGOT SHOULD BE SHUNNED BY ALL DECENT SOCIETY.

September 27, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  17. Mike, CA

Where was John McBush's flag pin? I guess he is unpatriotic. Imagine is Obama had not worn one. Sly FOX News would've had a field day.

September 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  18. ObamaBiden08

i am sorry Mccain you couldn't even look Obama in the eye and you used the same lines you been using the past 18months-nothing new same ole mcCain. I am still trying to figure out what mccain meant when he said the South koreans are 3 inches smaller than the north Koreans-did anyone know where mcShame was going????

September 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  19. aliou FL John Mckeating five

Obama 08 William Bennet Says: Obama Was the nice guy and the traight talker with the American people.

McCain was a sheriff, a shooter, but not a president.

Obama pinned McCain on most of the economic and even foreign policy issues, where McCain had nothing to do but cheap shots with no substance.

McCain was out living in the 17th century. Obama represented the future. Cool, calm and composed.

September 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  20. Richie

Yes, you made me and all of my friends very proud to vote for Barack Obama.

Obama/Biden 08

September 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  21. Summer

You must be kidding!

September 27, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  22. Diesel

Yes, John McCain, you showed the American people who is qualified to be Commander-in Chief....and from what I heard tonight, it clearly isn't you.....

September 27, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  23. Baze

McCain scored big on one point that might get him some points. Not meeting with Iran: OBAMA HAS TO SHOW MORE STRINGENCY TOWARD IRAN. Ahmedinijad, or whatever the hell his name is, is a serious threat to Jews, and they will not be for obama if he does not wholly reject Ahmedinawhatever.

September 27, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  24. 12 HOUSES to 0

MCSLEAZO PROVED HIMSELF TO BE A SLEAZY

BIGOT ONCE AGAIN. HE COULDN'T EVEN LOOK

BARACK IN THE EYE. HE WAS A CONDESCENDING MAGGOT.

September 27, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  25. Marsha

I am so proud to vote for Barack Obama. It was very presidential tonight. I can't wait to vote for him in November.

Obama/Biden 08