September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. C.D.

I have learned through the years that whoever the press likes the most gets the best positive coverage. Mr. Obama called Senator McCain, Tom and Jim and nowhere have I seen where these mistakes are mentioned. Had the Arizona Senator called Obama by a wrong name I am sure he would have been called senile. Please, I hope others saw through the stuttering and stumbling that Mr. Obama did as well. In my humble opinion the experience and confidence shown by John McCain truly made him shine. I certainly believe in John McCain and hope the American people can see who is the TRUE patriot here and support the Mavericks in this election. I have always considered myself an Independent and vote for whomever I felt the best person for the job, in this time of confusion, I go with McCain.

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  2. terri in MT

mccain was so unappealing tonight, not only in his answers, but also his body language. i cannot imagine a man like that leading this nation. Obama has such a broad view of the needs of the ordinary person in america to the needs of the role of the US in our world. He is the man we need leading our country!

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  3. Mia and Mike

Here here FLDem! This debate clearly showed that Obama is more than qualified and better equipped to lead. To think that we were once on the defense for supporting this guy.

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  4. Smith

The polls speak for themselves...McCain lost the debate.

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  5. Baked Alaska

Senator McCain did do his supporters proud - because some of them were worried he wouldn't show up or worse. He will have to do better however, to compensate for his VP's failings.
    Someone please tell this man that talking to a group with which you don't agree does not lend credability to or legitimize their views or actions. If that were true, Senator, your favorite president would not have talked to Gorbachev.

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  6. John Smith

Yes, Senator- thank you for making me proud of the 20's. But you offered nothing about the 21st century and beyond! Here, I learned alot from Obama, not you. Thank you for confirming my decision about voting for Obama as the next President that will move this nation forward!

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  7. cen

To me neither one of them is a winner if you are a Democrat of coarse Obama win....BUT if you are a Republican McCain wins...I turned off my TV?????

September 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  8. Atlian

So Palin has more experience than Obama? WOW. I'd like to see her on stage talking foreign policy with Obama. The "inexpereinced" candidate was awesome tonight! I am so impressed.

September 27, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  9. Penny MacKat

Watched the debate....I thought McCain came out slightly ahead...he seemed to have Obama defending himself during the whole debate. I especially liked McCain's thoughts about our policies overseas. He was far stronger than Obama on that issue.
    Both men had some good ideas on the economy...we really need to start thinking positively...we can get through all of this with a lot of hard work. I'm not sure the bail out is the way to go...I especially do not want to see any CEO's getting rewards from this.
    McCain did the right thing by doing the debate....he's a strong man.

September 27, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  10. MD Dem

DITTO! Obama all the way!

September 27, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  11. tigerc

Watching the audience reaction meter at the bottom of the screen it seemed like Obama had a decisive win of independent voters and I was amazed to see republicans far more positive toward Obama versus democrats in favor of anything McCain stated.

So I have to ask – where is the final score of this audience meter? It ran through the whole debate and it seems that McCain was slightly above flat line at best with dems... slightly higher with independents... but Obama had moments where he carried all three lines 2+ points obove 0.

Where is the final result?

September 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  12. Sophia

You made me proud to be a democrat and to support Obama-
    Your condescending attitude McCain is very much the same as the Bush administration.

How dare you say you will take care of the veterans. You voted against more help to our veterans.

And I see where you walk off a capitol hill meeting about why the
    POWS/MIA records are sealed.

September 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  13. TXInd

I was kind of hoping that the "Bomb Iran" song wasn't part of the global expertise debate. I was ashamed it was aired outside of this country, and that he didn't even try to deny it.

September 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  14. NObama

I was on the fence until tonight. McCain clearly showed that Obama is naive about foreign policy.
    I also didn't care for how on several times during the debate Obama couldn't keep his mouth shut when McCain when he was trying to make a point.

September 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  15. Alexander

Barack Obama certainly made me feel better about my support for John McCain.

September 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  16. ginger

Yeah me too.

September 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  17. Firsttimevoter

How many soldiers does McCain want dead before he gives us the green light to go home.

September 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  18. aliou FL John Mckeating five

I remember Keating five. Does this crisis remind you of the bank keating run to the ground? Does this remind you of the bank john McCain junior run to the ground just 2 months ago?

September 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  19. Meku

O-U-T O-F T-O-U-C-H !

September 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  20. Wendy in NC

Coming out with that snarky ad minutes after the debate shows me just what a low life McCain really is. Obama has always said he'll give credit when it's due – to anyone. So for him to say John was right on a couple of things, then went on to elaborate what he would do differently, was simple courtesy coming from a genuinely polite man. McCain's slithering campaign immediately released the "you were right, John" ad. So there's your proof that this entire Straight Talk Express is more like the Snake Oil Express.

September 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  21. Scott

Any doubts I had about Obama's ability to be Commander-in-Chief are gone. Obama acted very presidential, gave McCain his due respect in areas where he agreed with McCain, and was strong yet still respectful when he disagreed. Obama is extremely level-headed and did not seem to get angry or lose his cool, yet did not let himself get stepped on. McCain behaved like a spoiled child, and continually referred to himself.

September 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  22. IND voter

Um no he didnt

September 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  23. VA Democrat

McCain proved yet again he is just a Washington insider, doesn't have any new initiatives for the future, tends to gloat on his past laurels. He has had his time. We need to move into the future with a new leader, one with vigor and fresh ideas, one that will restore the confidence of the World in America and that's Barack Obama. He will be a great President after 8 years of right-wing, no good policies of George Bush.

September 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  24. Jason

Dido

September 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  25. An American

You could not make the day 1. It was Mr. Obama who was in the need of the situation with having any preconditions.

September 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |