September 26th, 2008

Schneider: McCain scores points on experience

CNN

Watch: Sen. McCain outlines differences between his plan for the presidency and Sen. Obama's plan.

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) - McCain, in talking about Afghanistan and Pakistan, is drawing on his vast experience for the first time in this debate, and it really sounds very convincing.

1. Katie

I would just like to say that I am a 13 year old watching the election, and I would really like to hear a debate rather than a sermon from McCain. I'm tired of hearing preaching about what he did; I want to hear what he is going to do.

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  2. Lisa

It's time for him to retire. Old and forgetful!!!!!

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  3. Gabiel B.

The Liberal Moment

Obama just illustrated that that intelligence prevails. Ignorance is not a bliss no more.

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  4. Marleydog

Maybe McCain should learn the language of the Middle East. The US has no business there and will never solve the issues that exist in the region. Maybe McCain should focus on the issues in the US and spend the10 billion a month in the US rather than in the Middle East. The US would be free of the resources in the Middle East if he spent that money developing alternate resources in the US, and therefore, less a prey for the Middle East predators. How stupid does McCain believe the people of the US are?

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  5. DIANE

McCain is giving his road speech about the mother and the braclet. I thought this was supposed to be a debate.

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  6. anhea

His "experience" has been part of creating the problems we have today. A fresh outlook that involves diplomacy and global perspective would be a welcome change.

McCain's experience has contributed to a rigidity in his thinking and a lack of ability to learn and grow in new dimensions of political thought. He isn't a maverick as much as he might like to tout.

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  7. Sean

what the hell you mean by "cheap" shot?!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a great shot and was real!

September 26, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  8. Carole

I think that the score keeping on the side of your screen was done by biased people and the scores were very distracting for the average American watching this debate. Therefore, I have turned my TV to Fox news.

September 26, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  9. Wendy

Why does'nt John McCain make eye contact with Obama?...its all I seem to notice...he will not look Obama in the eye...I find it very disconcerting to have a debate or even a conversation with someone who will not look at you.

September 26, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. bj

I think all he wants to talk about is war. I hope I never have to see my grandchildren have to go and they are getting close to that age. Especially where we are not wanted

September 26, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. Scoti

Bill, I don't think you know what you're talking about. McCain's argument is weak, at best.

September 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  12. Jeffrey

Dominique is right on target. Bad experiance is worse than none at all.

September 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Ruben

Obama keeps defending himself. He lost

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. Jeremy Schank

One thing that has completely urked me from the start of this whole "debate"... John McCain has yet to acknowledge the reaching out of Obama to have an actual debate. McCain has shown that he is smug and has not even looked in the direction of Obama since the start of this debate. He has shown his elitist attitude and I emplore that all people realize that if he cannot look at a Presidential competitor straight in the eye... how can he look the American public or even other political figures around the world straight in the eye?

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. ABrown

McCain keeps saying to Obama "You don't understand..." – but Obama is proving to McCain that he does understand and McCain is still stuck in the past!

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  16. Jennifer - ohio

I feel Sen. McCain has all the expirence to run a country and Obama is no were near ready to run a county ..I myself being in the militray for 10 years have been to more counties then the Sen. Obama...

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  17. PA Democrat

McCain's experience is one year of experience 26 times over, not 26 years.

McCain has does not have the depth of knowledge to lead, but does have the ability to spread fear.

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  18. texas voter

Schneider, you are in the tank for McCain, I guess all old guys stick together.

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  19. slusk

How about the fact that McCain does not UNDERSTAND that he is just like Bush. He wants to continue the policies of the current administration, if you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you have always got!!!!

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  20. Joy

It seems that every time McCain's in a tight spot he decides to tell a story, a very long one at that. Why does McCain get the opportunity to speak and talk so long, its tiresome

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  21. ME IN FL

Experience is experience, that is why Obama is stuttering so much. He lacks it, McCain is talking with knowledge, Obama doesn't have it.

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  22. Kris K from RM,CA

No I do not think so. We need to focus on the economy now and use diplomacy work for us on international fronts. THat is what Obama stands for and can do for us. THat is not McCain's plan...he is wrong. The five former Secectary of States agree that is the way to go for AMerica. To expand diplomacy to get things done...not war. It is expensive, takes lives,and guess what we are not winnibg.

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  23. Janice

Someone needs to make the point that we pay a lot of money to Pakistan for their military with the expectation that they are to support the effort of pushing out the Taliban and Al Qaeda. I don't agree that we should invade the sovereignty of Pakistan but we should expect Pakistan to hold up their side of the bargain and, if not, withhold or eliminate the money we continue to send to their military. Speaks to accountability, don't you think?

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. wendy

McCain is a cheap shot ......

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. Mark

CNN, time to put Schneider out to pasture.

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |