September 26th, 2008

Schneider: This is getting complicated

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) - McCain is saying that if you meet without preconditions you are legitimizing them.

Obama, on the other hand, said he would not impose preconditions, but he would insist on preparation.

It's a very complicated argument.

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. KenB, MI

whats not complicated in politics...we, the united states, cannot continue failed isolation political practices...Reagan cowboy strategy does not work in the 21st century.

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  2. Pamela

Obama has not changed his position he has always said he would meet with Iran., People never take time to listen and read what Obama says. It is not complicated. I feel Obama explained it again and did a great job.

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. tillman

911 IS MC CAIN'S SO CALLED PLAYING CARD.

OBAMA TRUMPS MC CAIN!

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  4. V. Sheldon

McCain's argument is medieval. Not talking to them is just isolation. We cannot afford it. Obama is showing a flexibility we need in foreign policy. How is that complicated?

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  5. Scoti

What exactly are these preconditions that McCain is talking about? I wish he would give more specifics on what's going on now, instead of relaxing on what happened in the past. I don't like the non-answers from McCain.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  6. Carmella Moore-Devine

John McCain is gaining my vote. I was undecided until now.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  7. fred

McCain clearly won that when he said, you'll sit down with the president of Iran and he'll say I will destroy Iran and you'll say Oh no you won't. and that will be the entire talk. (probably not the exact quote, but it was to that effect.)

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  8. Mark

Well Obama would at least wear the American Flag pin if he met with anyone, it is shining proud tonight, where is McCain's?

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  9. Bethany Gonzalez Moreno

I am really disappointed in Obama right now. He is my candidate and I wish he would just say what everybody already knows and what I KNOW he believes. The rest of the world doesn't respect us because of our "bullying" foreign policy. How can we gather allies around us to enforce policies that punish rogue regimes, if the world doesn't respect us?

How can we censor Russia for going into Georgia, when we invaded Iraq for very little reason. It looks so hypocritical. We need respect.
    Oh my God, he just said it!!! GO OBAMA!

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. changing times

It's clear that the posters here has never really read Obama's positions. This is not new. He's explained this distinction during the primaries

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. Mitch

McCain is Bush is Republican. If you're not for us, you're against us and don't deserve to be recognized. Fairly arrogant.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. Another Republican for Obama

McCain isn't a Republican, he isn't a Democrat, he's just an unaffiliated liar. I'm sick of his outright lying.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  13. Georgian

Preconditions and preparations are two different things..No one should be talking about Barack flip/flopping with as much flip/flopping as McCain has done in the last few weeks. Give Me a Break!!!

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |