September 27th, 2008

Obama and Biden together again following debate

ALT TEXT

Sens. Barack Obama and Joe Biden campaigned together in North Carolina on Saturday.(AP Photo)

GREENSBORO, North Carolina (CNN) – A rare occurrence compared to the McCain-Palin ticket: Barack Obama and Joe Biden flew to North Carolina Saturday morning for their first joint rally since August 31. Both took the opportunity to hit John McCain for his Friday night debate performance, hammering the Arizona senator for failing to address middle class issues.

“The truth is,” Obama said, “through ninety minutes of debating, John McCain had a lot to say about me, but he had nothing to say about you. He didn't even say the words "middle class." Didn’t say the words “working people.”"

Obama discussed the bailout package that lawmakers hope to pass this weekend before markets open on Monday, laying out his proposals and reiterating the need for strict oversight.

“This administration started off by asking for a blank check to solve this problem,” said Obama. “It is unacceptable to expect the American people to hand this administration or any Administration a $700 billion without any conditions attached, without any oversight when a lack of oversight in Washington and on Wall Street is exactly what got us into this mess in the first place.”

The Illinois senator mocked McCain for stealing the Democrats’ lines, laughing, “You gotta come up with your own stuff!”

“He's been grabbing our signs, using our slogans,” said Obama. “The other day he said, I think, we need to ‘turn the page.’ It's like, come on, John! I've been saying that for – how long have I been saying that? Pretty soon I'm going to have to start saying I'm a maverick!”

For his part, Biden praised his running mate’s performance at the debate saying it proved Obama has shown better judgment than McCain.

“Look at the policy, the foreign policy and the national security policy, the focus of last night’s debate,” said Biden. “This was supposed to be John McCain’s turf and Barack Obama owned it last night.”

The McCain campaign responded to Obama’s charges on the economy by pointing to a July vote on a budget resolution that would have rolled back tax cuts on those making less than $41,500.

“If he was honest, Barack Obama knows he was unable to debate the merits of supporting higher taxes on the middle class, and bloated government spending during a looming economic crisis,” said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds, “it simply proved indefensible last night.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. ohio

maverick!!!!!!!!!!! lol john you are a maverick??????????!!!!!! get a life john little late

September 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. Roger

Actually every election has been about changing. Don't be so arrogant Obama.

September 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Don Sheffield

I suspect the reason Sen. McCain did not look at Sen. Obama,
    is to keep his infamous temper under control He probably was
    afraid he might start raising his voice and losing his "cool"

September 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. Struggling, single mom in Greensboro, NC

I was there today and it was awesome to see the turnout for Obama. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were people participating, listening and not being led blindly to the slaughter. I took my daughter and as we stood there waiting I told her that in 20 yrs. this would all be a part of history and she will be able to say she was there for it.
    After the debate last night my choice could not be any clearer. I pray that others heard what I did; McCain said nothing new and continuously referred to his own record. In 26 yrs he could have made a real difference for folks like me and he didn't. My family cannot afford 4 more years of these types of policies. My daughter will be going to college in 8 yrs. and I don't want to be struggling still just to not have something get shut off because everything keeps going up except my salary.

September 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  5. anyonmous

mccain will not be the 44 president of the united state

September 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  6. PMSing over McCain/Palin

I hope the american people wake up and see that McWar is all about war. How many will we be in IF he gets office!!! I smell DRAFT and for those of you voting for him because of Palin being a woman, let it be your kids and grandkids that go first to these wars. Better think!!

September 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. Reagan

I LOVED the way McCain completely ignored O'bama last night. He spoke of him as if he wasn't even there.

That showed me that McCain wouldn't even dignify himself to acknowledge this heartbeat away from federal prison Democrat who stole the primaries from the clearest choice HRC.

I hope Americans continue to follow McCains lead and turn your backs to these socialists trying to hijack America.

MCCAIN YOU MAKE ME PROUD!

September 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. Richard

Where is all the Republican outrage? They tell us that you have to wear a lapel pin to be a patriot. Obama is obviously a patriot. McCain is obviously not a patriot according to them.

McCain was incredibly rude all debate. He never once looked at Obama. McCAIN IS SUCH AN ELITIST!!! Why aren't Republicans screaming about him???

September 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  9. Palin 2012

Molly,
    where the hell do you get your news from ??
    McCain is no where close to DC.
    His camp is on the phones with republicans, but no democrats, so much for working across the isle..

September 27, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  10. Skunk Meat Anyone?

BREAKING NEWS!!!

The McGimmick camp just announced Palin will not participate in Thursday's VP debate due to a minor accident. It was learned that Palin slipped and twisted her ankle and will be out of commission for several days. They are however sending in Romney to stand in for Palin while she recovers. They are clearing the change in debate participants with the Election Committee and are confident their request will be accepted.

More Gimmicky News at 10!

September 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Irene, CA

MaCain wants to continue the Iraq war, Why? What are we doing there? If I understand correctly he is willing to start another war at any time.
    Preconditions? What’s wrong with talking with world leaders and make friends around the world. And nobody can denied that McCain is living in the past. Old tactics: lye, smear empty promises.
    We need the new leader with vision and wiliness to save our great country and gain respect all over the word again.
    For me obama/ biden is the only choice.
    McCain is a Liar and liar can’t be trusted

September 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  12. Marc PDX

Capital Hill is melting down now over the financial crisis. McCain has gone to the Hill after all as a result. Obama really should come back up from NC and participate too. After all either McCain or Obama is going to inherit the results of what's happening today. And they both have a vested interest in how it turns out. Would only take an hour to fly up from NC.

September 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Enlightened Voter

I used to think bad about all Republicans however I have talked to soooo many and seen sooo many on these blogs switching that it is nice to know there are open minded, enlightened people out there. For the ones that still think mccain and especially palin would make good leaders is that how you feel deep down inside or is it that you really don't wanna vote for the black man despite the fact that he is poised, eloquent, extremely knowledge, possesses brilliant judgement and is loved by the world?

September 27, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. Steve

Hey Molly,

You should really read the other articles on this website. MCCAIN IS NOT GOING TO CAPITOL HILL TODAY. So, whaat do you have to say to that??!!

Obama/Biden – 08

September 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Steve

Close to 20,000 of us showed up for this rally and it was great! Here's hoping NC votes Obama!

September 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. joe

I cannot not believe what I am hearing regarding the Bailout plan, The Democrats want to increase taxes on wallstreet funds, they want to shift any profits that might come to go to a corrupt oranization called ACORN, whcih members have gone to jail. This is unbeliveiable. They are playing with politics with our country. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. Are the American people really going to turn over the congress and presidency to these loons? OMG

September 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. me in md

McCain also started using "let me be clear" in the debate last night. The phrase "imitation the sincerest form of admiration" comes to mind after watching the debate. McCain and his camp truly admire Obama – they have been imitating him since the RNC.

September 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. surprised?????disgusted!!!!

testing testing to see if cnn posts my comment

September 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. Dr. Roy

Wow! A lot of O-Blah-Ma-phites out there. Let's peel the onion about the debate. First, when Jim (or was it John – Obama got confused a few times) Lehrer asked a question, Obama would jump right in with an answer. Usually, it was not the answer to the question, but a restatement of the same lines we have heard before. Who cares about the 90-odd billion the Iraqi government has? Our government spends that much in 3-4 days (if we include Saturdays and Sundays.) McCain gave Obama a lesson on diplomacy. A lot of diplomacy is conducted behind the scenes; I doubt the next President will ever meet with the leaders of Iran, North Korea or Cuba. How many times did Obama say "you're right" to McCain? How many times did McCain say "Obama doesn't understand" or "You don't understand?" NObama should have picked Hillary as VP – too bad – he would be 10 points ahead of McCain if he had. Also, NOBODY has the right to say that McCain was lying when he said that he would take care of the veterns. McCain was a POW, is a veteran, and still suffers from the wounds inflicted. NObama is NOT a veteran, so how can he know how a veteran feels?!!!! (He needs the puppet master Biden.)

September 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  20. Democrat voting for McCain

McCain 2008 and Hillary 2012.

September 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  21. 4 Obama

CONGRATULATIONS Sen. Obama for the excellent performance on last nights debate.

By standing side by side with Sen. McCain and engaging him in a debate made you stand out and shine with seriousness, honesty and intelligence.

September 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. It Works Both Ways

Oh, who cares that Senator McCain never looked Obama in the eyes during the debate!

McCain owes him NO respect!

Obama referred to Senator McCain as "Tom" and "Jim," never referring to him as Senator!

...talk about respect...

September 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. Pamela

Funny, Obama -don't forget they stole your flags after the convention.

Read the article on Palin on Atlantic monthly and watch the interview with Katie Couricon any net work including Huffingtonpost.

Those who are still thinking of voting for McGrandpa, take a serious look at sad sad sarah pathetic Palin.

If you like McCain, we can give him a medal of honour by president Obama.

September 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. georgia

And why didn't McSame-NoShame zoom back to DC following the debate ???? Did the situation lose it's urgency or was his blue leotard with the red cape & "S" on the chest still in the dry cleaners ???
    This guy is a hoot on one hand with all his self importance & illusions .On the other hand it's frightening because it's the same tactic delivery that started the bailout trend (KEATING 5 of which McCain hand a hand in pulling off in 1990) & gave us the last 7 1/2 years of decline as a nation.
    No Way ,No How ,No McCain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |