September 27th, 2008

Palin takes questions during cheesesteak run

Sarah Palin and her daughter Willow ordered cheesestakes in South Philadelphia Saturday.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Sarah Palin partook in an established political ritual on Saturday night when she headed to Tony Luke's in south Philadelphia to order a pair of cheesesteaks with whiz and onions.

But as the kitchen sizzled and orders were barked out, Palin found herself talking politics, calling McCain's debate performance "awesome" and taking questions from a voter about the hunt for terrorists in Pakistan.

While waiting in line with her daughter Willow to place her order, a reporter asked Palin if she watched Friday's debate, and what her impressions were.

"I did, I did," she said. "McCain did awesome. He was great. He was absolutely on his game."

Palin added that she is ready to debate Joe Biden next Thursday in St. Louis.

"I am," she said. "Look forward to it. Look forward to getting to speak to Americans through that debate, absolutely."

The governor got a more serious interrogation moments later when Temple graduate student Michael Rovito approached her to inquire about Pakistan.

"How about the Pakistan situation?," asked Rovito, who said he was not a Palin supporter. "What's your thoughts about that?"

"In Pakistan?," she asked, looking surprised.

"What's going on over there, like Waziristan?"

"It's working with [Pakistani president] Zardari to make sure that we're all working together to stop the guys from coming in over the border," she told him. "And we'll go from there."

Rovito wasn't finished. "Waziristan is blowing up!," he said.

"Yeah it is," Palin said, "and the economy there is blowing up too."

"So we do cross border, like from Afghanistan to Pakistan you think?," Rovito asked.

"If that's what we have to do stop the terrorists from coming any further in, absolutely, we should," Palin responded, before moving on to greet other voters.

Palin ordered the two sandwiches, but the managers refused to let her pay, so she slipped a bill into their tip jar. She did not chow down at the restaurant, opting instead to take the food with her in the motorcade.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Brenda

I am hoping Sarah Palin walks all over Joe Biden. I have heard and seen enough of BO's mockery and lies. I have changed my mind on who I am voting for – this year it will be Senator McCain!

September 27, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  2. Werner

I can't believe he chose her as a running mate! Did she graduate from high school??

September 27, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  3. Lily

She couldn't find Pakistan on a map, much less figure out how to solve the problems there.

September 27, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  4. Paul from Pennsylvania

Interesting what Gov. Palin said of the situation in Waziristan:

What saddens me in her statement is her cavalier reference to ruthless terrorists as "the guys." She does not seem to me to have any grip on the seriousness of the security situation that this nation faces. She is said to be a quick study, and perhaps those claims are true, but so far she has not said or done a thing to allay my concerns at the prospect of her becoming our vice president.

September 27, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  5. Robe

Gov. Palin sounds like an has been cheerleader. She knows nothing about domestic nor foreign affairs. She is a disgrace to women everywhere. I understand her desire to be Vice President, but she does not possess the knowledge, intelligence, nor character to hold the position.

The entire population of the world is watching. I'm sure they are wondering what the American people of thinking to put forth such an obvious unqualified candidate. The American standing within the world is already at an all time low, and with Palin running for a position that she is not equipped to handle, will not increase their opinion of the U.S.

We have Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin lying and getting caught, but continue to lie. If they manage to steal their way into the White House, we can definitely kiss our Allies goodbye. Our reputation and credibility as a Super Power will be non-existent.

September 27, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  6. saeed sh.

o brian!!!! o brian who loves palin!!! get a girlfriend and stop being turned on by a married woman.

September 27, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  7. Lynn

McCain-Palin 2008
    She will do great in the debate with Biden. Wishing her well.

September 27, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Lucy

Please leave this lady alone. she going to make a great VP for the republican party. She represents the value of the conservations party(women).

I am sure she will do just fine. she needs more time to get used to the public.

September 27, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  9. Chees Steak Wiz

The Republican party is leaving a mess for Obama and are already looking at 2012. Is there another explanation?

September 27, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. Jeff from PA

Well – the expectations for her cannot be any lower – if she even survives Thurs – it will be a miraculous victory – which says a lot about our political system...

September 27, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  11. ms jackson

This woman you just plan stupid... My 5th grader forms better sentences than her.. If we the USA allow his McCain and Palin ticket to run our highest office, then that just proves that a White person would allow us to fail as a nation than to vote in a Black man. It will forever divide the USA. WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN PLEASE VOTE OBAMA -BIDEN

September 27, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  12. Bulldog

Do now will McCain also call Palin dangerous her announcement that she will send in our military into Pakistan? He called Obama names so let's hear it, Palin should be no different. Or am I just being sexist?

September 27, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. Pat in Illinois

Hey left-wing Obama-bots – your day is coming, NOVEMBER 5th. You people just don't get it. This is the same situation as with Kerry, as with Gore. The GOP was slightly behind at the start of the debates (which really means a tie given more independents tend..correctly...to vote REPUBLICAN).

The public will gradually start waking up bit by bit and FIGURE OUT OBAMA IS A HOUSE OF CARDS WITH NO EXPERIENCE AND TIES TO RADICAL PEOPLE.

You all are smoking crack and snortin' coke like NOBAMA if you think your guy has a liberal lib-tard's chance in heck of getting in MCCAIN's Whitehouse.

September 27, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. ethan

If palin made such a comment is that not a complete contradiction to what mccain said about pakistan? To roughly paraphrase, Mccain said it was irresponsible for Obama to talk about going into Pakistan and than we need to do other things in regard to that country? Was it not Obama who explicitly said that if Osama Bin Rotten (my term for him, sorry) was in Pakistan that we should seek him there?

So Palins thoughts are in line with Obama on this? Am I wrong on this topic? I think that for some of this worlds' situations Obama/Biden/Palin/McCain might have similiarities and only present it in different contexts. No presidential nominee will take a anti-war stand for fear of losing the majority of americans; while I feel that Obama is closest to wanting to end the Iraq war, I don't believe he will actually say how much of a mistake he truly feels it is that we went there.

Rather than flame McCain/Palin, I am trying to be a bit more patient and listen between the hostile nature of politics. When you read certain peoples' comments on CNN/FOX etc it reeks of stubborn self-rightousness rather than having any sort of intellectual curiousity or possibly admiting to being wrong? This ain't a college football game, I think its ridiculous to root and cheer for Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin like they are the next American Idol.

After the next president is elected, we still as a nation have to come together to solve our issues. Which unfortunately I thought would happen after 9/11 but it seems that people are more concerned being individually safe or even worse, being 'right' rather than viewing our nation as having a common dream. Maybe I am too optimistic that our country can reach its full potential.

September 27, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. Billy the Mountain

Not sure what tradition she is keeping by going to Tony Lukes. Maybe the folks at Pat's told her to go away because they wouldn't put her picture on the wall. Looking forward to her night under the lights against Joe. I need to head up to Philly . All of this cheesesteak talk has got me droolin'.

September 27, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  16. SARAH SCREECH A SPEECH

Some observations:

1. Apparently Failin' Palin did not get the memo to suspend the campaign since she spent time bashing Obama.

2. Now I know why it took you 5 years and 6 six schools to finally get that degree in journalism. Something, you appeared to have missed, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

3. She learned another new word "recuse" in addition to "impactful" in the "cone of silence" and just repeats the same canned answer!

4. "Folksy" is code for stupid, i.e. "I'll try to find ya some, and bring 'em to ya". Well this be her answer to Russia?(YIKES!)

5. Failin' Palin is a "breath of fresh air" alright, every time she opens her mouth, the rush of air from her head is strong enough to cause a breeze!

6. Here’s the deal Sarah, you cannot charm the American people with you wit, if you only have half of one.

7. Forget answering the 3 A.M. call, I am not sure this 2008 human version of “Chatty Cathy” can even find the phone, especially without those highly prized and fashion forward spectacles!

8. And I thought my gene pool was shallow, compared to this woman, I am in the deep end of the pool!

Even this writer, who has been known to be a bit snarky on blogs(I consider it a badge of honor), is a human being and as such, you are so pathetic in these interviews, and your total lack of knowledge on anything(other than “field dressing a moose“) is so appalling, you ALMOST illicit a human reaction of pity.

Not to worry tho‘, I have b!)#h-slapped myself and I’m over it!

September 27, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  17. Robert

I cannot believe that many AMERICANS can even think of considering such an ill informed person as Gov. Palin to possibly be president of our great country.

I know of many intelligent republicans, male and female that Senator McCain could have chosen as a running mate. God help the USA if McCain is elected and God forbid Gov. Palin becomes president.

President Bush is Bull Headed and listens to no one, but Gov. Palin makes G.W. look like Einstien.

Robert

September 27, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  18. Jeff

Palin is a right wing ya hoo. McCain is a senile old fool. Biden is a hypocrite. Obama is an egomaniac with a messianic complex; just looking at him makes me want to puke. If this is the best America has to offer I fear for our future.

September 27, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  19. Jason in Juneau

The debate with Biden on Thursday is going to be a wake up call to the GOP. This is a nation where in theory anyone can run for office. It doesn't mean they are qualified.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008/2012

September 27, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. Zigler

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps. And I believe that our education, like, such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for our children."

September 27, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  21. KC

I guess she agrees with Obama and disagrees with McCain.

September 27, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  22. Pam

Did she ever get back to Couric? How Pathetic!

September 27, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |