September 27th, 2008

Palin takes questions during cheesesteak run

Sarah Palin and her daughter Willow ordered cheesestakes in South Philadelphia Saturday.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Sarah Palin partook in an established political ritual on Saturday night when she headed to Tony Luke's in south Philadelphia to order a pair of cheesesteaks with whiz and onions.

But as the kitchen sizzled and orders were barked out, Palin found herself talking politics, calling McCain's debate performance "awesome" and taking questions from a voter about the hunt for terrorists in Pakistan.

While waiting in line with her daughter Willow to place her order, a reporter asked Palin if she watched Friday's debate, and what her impressions were.

"I did, I did," she said. "McCain did awesome. He was great. He was absolutely on his game."

Palin added that she is ready to debate Joe Biden next Thursday in St. Louis.

"I am," she said. "Look forward to it. Look forward to getting to speak to Americans through that debate, absolutely."

The governor got a more serious interrogation moments later when Temple graduate student Michael Rovito approached her to inquire about Pakistan.

"How about the Pakistan situation?," asked Rovito, who said he was not a Palin supporter. "What's your thoughts about that?"

"In Pakistan?," she asked, looking surprised.

"What's going on over there, like Waziristan?"

"It's working with [Pakistani president] Zardari to make sure that we're all working together to stop the guys from coming in over the border," she told him. "And we'll go from there."

Rovito wasn't finished. "Waziristan is blowing up!," he said.

"Yeah it is," Palin said, "and the economy there is blowing up too."

"So we do cross border, like from Afghanistan to Pakistan you think?," Rovito asked.

"If that's what we have to do stop the terrorists from coming any further in, absolutely, we should," Palin responded, before moving on to greet other voters.

Palin ordered the two sandwiches, but the managers refused to let her pay, so she slipped a bill into their tip jar. She did not chow down at the restaurant, opting instead to take the food with her in the motorcade.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

HUH?

September 27, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  2. Doug

"McCain did awesome." Eloquent. And why does she always refer to him as simply..."McCain?"

September 27, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. Disappointed republican

Please stop the madness. Just drop her and pick up Lieberman, please?

September 27, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. David

She makes Cheney look like a dove and Bush look like a genius.

September 27, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Hopeful

Countdown to the debate...looking forward to Oct 2.

September 27, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. R Wolf

Please, America, it would be tragic enough if McShame becomes President, but, really, does anyone want this woman second in line for the job?

September 27, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  7. Deb, Allentown,PA

Hopefully she won't curse under her breath during the debate like McCain did.

September 27, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. georgia independent

So, she can order a "cheesesteake and whiz" and apparently wants to talk to the American public. Hope she looks up where Pakistan is... wonder if she thinks it's in DC?

I can't wait for the debate...

September 27, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. No Other choice

Wow, clueless.

September 27, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  10. Tony in Michigan

Yea! What she said!!?????

September 27, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  11. alex

AS REPUB...IM VOTING FOR SOMEONE THAT I NEVRE THOUGHT I WOULD....OBAMA..YES OBAMA..PALIN IS A JOKE. SHE SCARES ME.

September 27, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  12. proud texan

hand her a pre-written speech and she can deliver... but please don't let her speak her mind. She has not a clue to what is going on outside of Alaska.

September 27, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. fred

so she agree's with Obama

September 27, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  14. Tonsley

Tubular!

September 27, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  15. George

So much for McCain's statement during the debate to not invade a sovereign nation.

September 27, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  16. Linda

Isn't the hope that the terrorists come in (to Afghanistan) so that we can take care of them efficiently.

Love the economy statement about a tribal region where Pakistan central government has questionable power.

Can't wait for Thursday.

September 27, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  17. kelley james

This lady remind me of my mum. you can love her but who would trust her to run the country. She appears she doesn't know much about what going on in Pakistan.

September 27, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  18. Jessica

Oh, give me a break.

September 27, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  19. Brian loves Palin

She is fantastic. All she has to do is listen to Biden for the 90 minute debate and the country will learn just why Barack and Biden are a scary pick.

Questions Barack and Biden can't answer:

So what are you going to do for us to help our economy?

Answer: Well I am not going to go into Iraq and repeat what Bush has done the last 8 years.

More specifically Barack and Biden what can you do for the American people besides increase their taxes and increase government and increase regulation?

Well I wouldn't have gone into Iraq and repeat what Bush has done the last 8 years.

More specifically what are you going to do for the American people?

I don't know, am I suppose to? My team just said to live in the past and that we don't need to worry about the future?

Barack what programs will you cut?

Well I wouldn't have gone into Iraq and I wouldn't do what Bush has done for 8 years?

Ok more specifically what are you really going to do for us going forward?

I don't know, I am only a Monday morning quarterback that loves to talk about the past and haven't got a clue how to manage anything that has to do with real problems facing Americans in the present of the future.

Doesn't matter guys, I just have to be a Monday morning quarterback and look cute and I should win.

God help us all when Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barack Obama, and Biden turn our country into a Socialist state.

Goodbye smart businessmen we will miss your business. I understand why you left? The excessive taxes and regulation probably had a lot to do with it right?

McCain\Palin and Hillary supporters 2008

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  20. tanya

isn't she primitive ???????

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  21. Aaron B

I'm sitting here wondering if she thinks Waziristan is its own sovereign country.....probably does

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. Thor

we have to work together to make sure that we're working together to stop the bad guys and such as that need to be stopped.

Words flow from her mouth like a symphony.

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  23. MK

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if she has been replaced by Thursday.

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for her, and I loathe her politics.

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. ITS ABOUT TIME

What!? Is she crazy? "awesome"... "awesome"??!! No wonder they didn't want her on TV last night.

That student had to be a McCain plant.. 1st – who walks up on the VP pick and asks about Pakistain? She hasn't answered hardly any questions in public so why would she answer yours. 2nd – what kind of answer was that? it was like she was practicing a book report.

Lastly – wasn't she supposed to pay for the sandwiches? politicians aren't supposed to accept gifts (big or small).

Just sayin....

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. Christopher Clarke

agree wth you disappointed Republican. Lieberman would be a better choice

September 27, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |