September 28th, 2008

Biden goes home to prep for debate

Sens. Obama and Biden head to a Detroit rally Sunday.
Sens. Obama and Biden head to a Detroit rally Sunday.

DETROIT (CNN) – Following a rally in Detroit with Barack Obama Sunday afternoon, Joe Biden will return home to Wilmington, Delaware to prepare for his Thursday night debate with Sarah Palin.

The Delaware senator’s schedule is blank until he flies to St. Louis for the debate, though he will head to Washington to vote on the bailout package when the vote is scheduled in the Senate.

Spokesman David Wade says the only preparation Biden has done up to this point is reading and talking to a wide range of colleagues, among them senators Hillary Clinton, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein.

Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm will fly to Wilmington this week to play the role of Palin in sparring sessions with Biden. In a recent interview on NBC’s Today Show she said, “I want to beat him up a little bit, so he does well.”

Biden never talks directly about Palin on the stump, only in the context of the Republican ticket as a whole. He regularly tells audiences he doesn't know anything about her.

"I’m not being a wise guy," Biden told a laughing crowd Friday in Wisconsin, "I don’t know. I’m assuming she agrees with [McCain's] position. I’m being deadly earnest. I don’t know. I don’t know."

Biden will fly back to Delaware after the debate for his son Beau's deployment to Iraq on Friday as part of a Delaware National Guard unit. Beau Biden is Delaware’s attorney general. Palin's eldest son, Track, is also serving in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. pickled herring

Sasquatch versus Lurch. Ought to be a good debate.

September 28, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Really

I thought Sarah was caribou Barbie.

What is there to prepare for?

Bring back Hillary Clinton. These guys are a joke.

Biden of decades of insider experience in Washington DC actually NEEDS to prepare to debate a woman who is new to politics and has never been on the national stage?

OMG

September 28, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Barb

Joe she claims that she is a maverick. That is an unbranded heifer. Meaning untried and a young female. Guess that fits her well.

As a VP I can not see her BUT would love to see her run for the senate or congress from Alaska and see if she could shake up the good old boys club. Maybe some young spirited opinions would drive the old timers and make them sit up and take notice.

Good luck will be listening.

September 28, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Unshrub

The Biden team is bring in a 12 year old girl to act the part of Palin during Biden's practice debates. The were going to use a tape machine that kept playing Palin's 4 talking points over and over again but felt a 12 year old would better represent the intellect of Palin.

But seriously, Biden will give her more respect than McCain gave Obama.

September 28, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I hope that Biden doesn't hold back anything!

September 28, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

No matter what he does, there are going to be those that claim he was being sexist. That's a guarantee. I don't think he should do anything to 'attack' her. Let her sink all by herself. Then on Friday, McCain can retract anything she said that wasn't part of her memorized answers on McCain's policies.

September 28, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. Shay

On this NOTE below

I heard Senator Biden say this pertaining to McCain which solved a few things for me

Just because McCain was there doesn’t mean McCain is right

The author is unknown to my knowledge however

This is how it was summarize

WHAT DO I EXPECT IN A PRESIDENT

I expect our next President to preside with dignity and make decisions that coincide with the U.S views and concerns.

Secondly, I expect our next President to go to all lengths to protect our safety and human interests.

Thirdly, I expect our next President to be able to listen and lead with much conviction to humanity and build stronger alliances that will KEEP our country strong.

Next, I expect that our President will support his supporters on redirecting our global efforts to insure that our economy is restrengthen and EVERYONE has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Lastly, our next President will be a man/woman of much integrity, resourcefulness, strength and vigor. He/she will guide us through what we are in and out of this horrible stage.

HOWEVER, we as American must support our country and be as vigilant to ensure that change as we know becomes a reality!

September 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. RapidRay

"Biden goes home to prep for debate"

At best, it may involve looking up hockey statistics, moose hunting tips and how to respond to incoherent sentences.

Given how well the Republican handlers have educated Palin on foreign policy and economics, they don't seem to have much in the way of teaching skills. Her "cheesesteak" comments are already under fire and McCain's doing his best to bury it.

In all honesty, she will probably learn more about foreign policy from Biden in 90 minutes than she has in the last month of cramming for this debate.
    She's about to get schooled!

September 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Scary stuff

So much for his experience and Sarah's stupidity.

Why does he need to prepare?

Sarah has never been involved in politics on a national level. Biden is part of the problem of a broken Washington.

Yet he actually needs to prepare to debate the lightest weight of them all?

He should be able to debate her with NO preparation.

September 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Mook

My prediction from Vancouver Island, Palin will answer questions by not answering them ,and instead change the subject and talk evasively and round-about like that Tucker guy.
    Biden will be frustrated by not being able to an intelligent debate,(Takes two to tango!).

September 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Felines for Freedom

@M T

"If Biden isn't ready for Palin, I am leaving this planet."

Thanks for the laugh out loud chuckle.

September 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. Christine El Paso

I'm getting my Popcorn ready this one on thursday will be better then watching Tina Fey! Palin isn't even near the ballpark of Biden! He's going to cream her!

September 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. S. Boatman

This Is Bad News For The Mccain Camp! I Dont Think Palin Is A Quick Study Like She Is Made Out To Be! I Expect Her To Be Asked A Question And Reply With. . . I Will Get Back To Ya! As Long As She Gets On Stage And Doesnt Set The Podium On Fire The Republicans Will Call It A Complete Success!

September 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Chris

I hope Biden destroys her so much that even Fox will report on it. But I doubt this debate will show anything seeing how Palin is getting the treatment due to her lack of debating skills.

September 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. Phantom of the Oprah

I thought he was smart and she was an idiot?

I thought Sarah is nothing but a pretty trinket?

What is he preparing for?

Is she a threat to his decades of tired old experience?

This makes no sense that a man of Biden's stature needs to prepare to meet a beauty contestant.

What is Obama's campaign trying to spin?

September 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. KINGS

You've just got to vote for OBAMA/BIDEN

No doubt.

September 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Dawnci

Senator Biden must be careful in dealing with Gov. Palin. He will have to do multitask- teach Gov. Palin World History on an elementary level, speak to the Independents and the Republicans while being careful and staying on task to speak power to the truth- No More of the Same with John Mc Cain.
    Gov. Palin should return to Alaska and watch out for Putin where she has world experience in this area. We certainly would appreciate her doing that in behalf of the country, of women, of mothers and of the parties.

September 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. Mook

My prediction from Vancouver Island, Palin will answer questions by not answering them ,and instead change the subject and talk evasively and round-about, like that Tucker guy.
    Biden will be frustrated by not being able to have an intelligent debate,(Takes two to tango!).Also the moderator will say"Please,! just answer the question!" about half a dozen times.

September 28, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. Democrat Voting For McCain !!!

I Will Be Voting For McCain / Palin , These Debate Aren't Changing My Vote , Like Amost All Americans I Have Already made Up My Mind . I'm A Democrat ,, And a vote that would Most Likely Go To The Democratic Nominee This Election , Will Go To The Republican Canidate John McCain .

McCain/Palin 2008 !!!!!!

September 28, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Rob indetroit

I would tell Sen,biden do not take palin lightly,she may be playing the part of the fool just so biden could lower his guard ,and she slams him.

"So be carful Biden".

September 28, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. confused by preparations

Why would a politician of his stature need to prepare to meet up with Sarah?

The democrats claim she is nothing but a moron.

September 28, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. High school valedictorian

NOTE TO JOE BIDEN:

DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT TREAT SARAH PALIN WITH KID GLOVES! SHE CAME OUT SWINGING AND ATTACKING YOU AND BARACK AT THE REPUBLICAN CONVENTION. TIME TO FIGHT BACK, JOE.

GIVE SARAH PALIN A DOSE OF HER OWN MEDICINE. AFTER THE DEBATE, I WANT HER TO SAY, IN HER OWN INIMITABLE WAY (sorry, Tina Fey), "JOE, I THINK YOU DID AWESOME!"

JUST BE YOURSELF, JOE. BE THE SAME ARTICULATE, ELOQUENT, AND COGENT SPEAKER THAT YOU ARE. IT WILL WORK WONDERS FOR HER, THAT IS, SHE WILL RETREAT TO HER COCOON AND NEVER BE HEARD FROM UNTIL NOVEMBER 5 WHEN SHE COMES OUT TO SAY (

September 28, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |