September 29th, 2008

Obama ad targets Fiorina

A new Obama ad targets Carly Fiorina.
A new Obama ad targets Carly Fiorina.

(CNN) - Barack Obama is targeting a John McCain advisor's former compensation as a Fortune 500 CEO in a new television ad running nationally.

The 30-second spot goes after executive pay and is specifically critical of Carly Fiorina, the current McCain advisor who was ousted as the head of Hewlett-Packard in 2005. The company doled out $21 million in severance to her, and reportedly another $21 million worth of stock and pension.

"John McCain's advisor, Carly Fiorina. The fired CEO who left with $42 million," the ad's narrator says. "Barack Obama says it's got to change."

The ad, called "Parachute," also attacks Washington Mutual CEO Alan Fishman, who reportedly could get $19 million worth of compensation, even though the bank failed last week.

"You've got corporate executives who are giving themselves million dollar golden parachutes and leaving workers high and dry," Obama says in the ad. "That's wrong. It's an outrage."

Fiorina had been a prominent surrogate for McCain, but she was promptly removed from the cable news circuit earlier this month after she said neither John McCain no Sarah Palin was qualified to run a major corporation.

1. elm

She was a disgrace to HP and drove its shareprice down. Shareholders should not have to put up with this. The problem is that the board of directors all sit on each others boards and take care of themseleves.

For McCain to have had her as one of his financial advisors just proves how out of touch he is. Too old, makes poor choices, and unworthy of the job of President.

Enough is enough!

Say no to:

More War McCain &
    Taliban Palin.

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. LATINOVOTER

Fiorina – 42 million – RICK DAVIS – STILL BEING PAID FROM FANNIE AND FREDDIE – PLS MCCAIN STOP, no one believes your LIES anymore.

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Maria

Actually, the WaMu guy was only in there for THREE WEEKS. Astounding that he'd get $18M – that's $6M PER WEEK.

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Jennifer RN

I sure wish I could screw up at my job, run the company into the ground and make millions. Just another example of why we need Obama.

Obama/Biden 08!

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Amy

I think this ad is extremely relevant.

McCain himself picked his campaign team of lobbyists, Washington insiders, Rove strategists, and rich CEOs like Fiorina-
    the very people he claims he and Palin will target if they are elected.

Does he really think the American people are stupid enough to believe this?

Change is coming McCain, and it's called Obama/Biden.

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Kel

Let me predict the GOP response.. "THESE ATTACKS ARE SEXIST AND BASELESS" lol

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

... and Tgram,
    The wamu guy was only in charge for 3 WEEKS!

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. JusLaugh

I was wondering when someone was going to get around to the fact that this woman is responsible for running HP into the ground and was FIRED!

McCain is such an elitist. His voting record makes me ill. His lies make me ill again. He's the one that doesn't understand.

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. LJ

McCain and his people are scuttling around like little bugs whose rock has just been lifted off of them to expose them for the first time ever as they truly are for all the world to see and it's not a pretty sight.

September 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Erick in Alabama

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Palin sucks, and Mccain is using the finacial crissis as a plitical move to seem like a hero. Get over yourself, John. "He doesn't understand"...Why was he so condescending to Obama at the debate.

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. all american mom

TGRAM...it was 3 WEEKS not 3 years.....even worse!

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Linda

John Mccain is NOT responsible for the huge salaries that these CEO'S make, the companies that hired them are!!! Apparently, she is a smart woman or she would not have been in this position. Who of us would turn down this kind off money, I wouldn't.

Also, you Democrats must keep CNN'S Ticker pulled up all of the time and you comment on everything negative about Mccain/Palin. I actually think that you "copy and paste" because I have seen the same postings on different subjects. You need to get more creative!!!

If Sarah Palin is going to Arizona for "debate camp", Joe Biden is in Deleware preparing for the debate. If he is so experienced and smart, why does he have tio prepare??

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. proud army and navy mom

mccain wanting a freeze on spending is his whole economic policy!

If you will listen closely to him, you will notice that he has no new money coming in, but he wants to continue the 10 billion dollars a month for the Iraq War.

Where will it come from? It's not coming from the Defense or Entitlements Budget. It will be early childhood education, senior programs, etc.

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. Cindy

This is why Joh McCain is for capatilism and deregulation- no transparency or accountability!!! That's what John McCain is betting on!

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. America will be free again

what do you expect when you talk the talk for 26 yrs even his runningmate cant point out one regulation Mccain put in place in washington
    SHAME McCAIN SHAME ON U get you own slogan and leave Obama's change stick to your reform pls...

OBama/Biden real change...

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. Bulldog

If McCain doesn't have the cabin that Palin is going to debate school in listed on his senate records then either he lied on his Senate financial disclosure records or this cabin has to be considered an outsider contribution under campaign finance laws. If Cindy McCain's corportation is listed as owning it and they don't report it as a corporate donation then they are breaking the laws. I smell something fishy going on here.

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  17. Michael F, Vancouver

McCain on the stump this morning. . .they are only lies if they come from Democrats?

On another board. . . To Reality Check,
    You are a gay man who is NOT going to vote Democrat? Are you unclear about the position that the Republicans take against your sexual orientation? Voting for McCain / Palin will take your rights back many, many moons.

You will mastermind your own demise. Beware!

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  18. PoliticoMike

Hey "McCain is a Liar" to answer your question, McCain is a corporate candidate, CNN & All The news media are owned by corporations. That's their man, he will be protected. It's sad these people call themselves journalist.
    And to the person approving or denying this. Let it be shown and do show it to your producers, have some fair reporting for once!

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  19. Broad street buddy

She Failed as an Exec!

There is no reason she should have ever been trying to lend executive credibility on behalf of anyone.

Thats like mother teresa getting O.J. Simpson to do her public relations.

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  20. thomas

My rich uncle came to live with me for awhile. It wasn't long after that when I began to notice I didn't have as much cash. Soon, other things began to disappear as well. My car suddenly vanished, but I couldn't afford to buy another one. When I could no longer afford to feed my wife and kids, I figured my uncle would help out, but he just told me to get a second mortgage, which I did. Well, my wife and kids moved out once the money ran out, and the bank snatched up my house. Now some other dude is taking care of my wife and raising my kids while I'm struggling to feed myself because I have to pay all of this alimony and child support. So if you see some old guy walkin'around tellin' you that he can make you rich if you just give him a few bucks to invest, don't fall for the scam, it's just my rich Uncle Sam.

September 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. virgil. Las Vegas NV

With the country facing one of it's most important economic crisis decisions, how can it be that "Palin" is in the mind of ANY average American? She is (at this point) not even an afterthought.
    CNN, please keep an eye "on the ball"!!!!

September 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. J from DC

I watched Chris Rock on Larry King, and he made a serious point. He stated how he felt that African Americans have supported the Democratic Party in lock step, for mostly white candidates. Now that the African American Community has a qualified candidate, it would be a shame if any white democrats specifically did not support him just because he was black. He basically stated that if the party is together, then the white members, not just the leaders, should show black members that they can vote for a qualified black candidate. I myself have no problem with voting for a black candidate, or a Hispanic one for that matter. I think if he or she is qualified, and the best to help the country, we should support them. However, I think Chris Rocks comments were particularly reveling for democrats.

September 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. Former Hillary supporter now support McCain

Obama, I personally can name a list of bad people who you have received money from. You think Americans are blind on your dirty money trick? LOL!

September 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  24. Uncle Sam

Tell me again when the new kind of politics Obama promised begins. I'm still waiting.
    :-(

September 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  25. irony

mccain keeps defendind fiorina. This weekend he said he was proud of her. republicans can try to hypocritically explain that to the 24,000 people at HP that are losing their jobs while she gets millions for running the company into the ground.

September 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |