September 30th, 2008

Palin says she's the 'new energy'

Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'
Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin said she was not taking a jab at Joe Biden's age or lengthy stint in Washington when recently joking she had been listening to the Delaware senator's speeches since the second grade.

"Oh no, it's nothing negative at all," Palin told Katie Couric Monday in the latest installment of her Monday interview with the CBS anchor. "He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years."

The original comments came at an Ohio rally Monday, when Palin told the cheering crowd, "I'm looking forward to meeting [Biden] too, I've never met him before - but I've been hearing about his senate speeches since I was in, like the second grade."

Watch: Palin goes after Biden

Some political observers found that comment peculiar, given her own running mate is the oldest man ever to seek a first presidential term. But Palin said she was merely contrasting the differences she sees between herself and Biden.

"He's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many, many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years," she said.

Palin was 8 years-old when Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972. (Biden was 29 at that time)

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Ashley

Palin is desperately trying to be something she's not. Thus, making her look more and more foolish.

September 30, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Jill

Sarah had better call in sick Thursday night.

September 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. Julia

Drilling for oil was invented in the 4th century in China. I wouldnt call that "new energy".

September 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. ohio

shes the new downer

September 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Joycelyn

Coming from Sarah Palin, this choice is an easy one. Go figure!

September 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. OBAMA 4 DAT AYUSS

The energy is clearly wearing down. Elect Obama/Biden 08/12

September 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. Think Blue

She running with a geezer and she's making comments about Joe.

Sarah you can't fill Hillary's shoe, Thanks but NO THANKS

September 30, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. Anne R.

Even the Republicans are jumping ship with Palin. They're finally realizing that they need to save their own butts now!!

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 30, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Glenn in California

Caribou Barbie needs to hire Miss Teen Sourt Carolina as her debate coach. Then we can all listen to her tell us about U.S. Americans and everything else. It's hard for me to imagine any lower expectations for her, and I for one, am looking forward to seeing the train wreck. It's the least that she and McLame deserve.

Just say NO to Bush 44.

September 30, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Alexis

now...... now ........now..... do katie do , ask her about the Bush Doctrine, or about her foreign policy experience!!!! AND WATCH HOW SHE GOES FROM THE NEW ENERGY TO THE DUMB ENERGY!!! lol!

September 30, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. FactCheck

Let's see if I get this right, Palin has been listening to Biden's Senate speeches since 1972 despite the fact that all Senate speeches have only began to be publicly aired on the radio starting from 1979 with C-SPAN. Maybe in addition to those x-ray eyes that allow her to see Russia from her house, her ears also allowed her to listen in on gatherings taking place clear across the country.

September 30, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Palin is Right

We do have a choice, 21st century Obama or 20th century McCain.

September 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  13. Nan

Voters will hopefully decide that they want candidates with some knowledge of the issues. Candidates who know more about Russia than they can see it from their house, candidates who have studied constitutional law and understand our rights under the constitution.

September 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  14. John

A new energy to bring this country to its all time low...

Thanks but no thanks....

Sarah Go back.......Sarah Go back

September 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. Bethie

We;'ve had many a chuckle and giggle with Palin. However, the laughter needs to stop here, she's now reached DANGEROUS status.
    GO OBAMA!

September 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Pegabo

Give me my break which kind of new energy!
    May be the energy of lying, shame on her...

September 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. BBB

Wow... she just never stops putting that foot in the mouth does she? Atleast their spinmasters can be sure of job security with her around... up is not up, but it isn't down either...

September 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. Arianna

NEW IDEAS? ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU MEAN THAT RAMBLING, GIBBERISH YOU ALWAYS SPAT OUT AT EVERY INTERVIEW ARE YOUR NEW IDEAS? NOW I AM REALLY SCARED!!

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. Mike Philly

"He's gout a treemyendous amoont of expeerience ayund, you know, I'm the nyew enyergy, the nyew fayuce, the nyew ideeas and he's got the expeerience based on many, many yeears in the Syenate and vooters are gonna hayve a choice theyur of what eet ees thyat they want een theese nyext foour years," she said.

I don't kynow abyout the ryest of ya but I already made thyat choice!

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. West Virginians For Obama

Liar! Did you see Cindy McCain's face when Palin made that comment? It was an evil and sarcastic laugh. It was clear what she meant, and the people listening to her laughed on cue.

Obama/Biden 2008

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. CJG

I hope the new energy is Obama ....Palin made this very odd remark which was to showcase his age....all I could think of was MCCain is 7 yrs older than Biden....and you really think she listened ot Biden in the 2nd grade ...give me a break , she doesn;t know squatt about Washington or national politics...
    I guess this debate will see how well she soaked up the cramming for this exam! Just wonder if she will have an ear piece so they can feed her the answers!!!

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. Rob - WA

What the hell? I never thought I would see the day I would hear someone talk like this who could possibly be in the 2nd highest office. I implore everyone to rent the movie "Idiocracy" as that is where we are headed should the SAME ticket win. GOD fobid.

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. tim

like an energy drink.... high for awhile, but a crash after a few hours!

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. mary

Not to worry, folks. Earlier press compared her to Bill Clinton, experience wise. Thinking Old Bill not going to be happy at all about that, even though he recently profusely praised Palin. Get Old Bill out of the gate and McCain/Palin doesn't have a chance.

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |