September 30th, 2008

Palin says she's the 'new energy'

Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'
Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin said she was not taking a jab at Joe Biden's age or lengthy stint in Washington when recently joking she had been listening to the Delaware senator's speeches since the second grade.

"Oh no, it's nothing negative at all," Palin told Katie Couric Monday in the latest installment of her Monday interview with the CBS anchor. "He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years."

The original comments came at an Ohio rally Monday, when Palin told the cheering crowd, "I'm looking forward to meeting [Biden] too, I've never met him before - but I've been hearing about his senate speeches since I was in, like the second grade."

Watch: Palin goes after Biden

Some political observers found that comment peculiar, given her own running mate is the oldest man ever to seek a first presidential term. But Palin said she was merely contrasting the differences she sees between herself and Biden.

"He's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many, many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years," she said.

Palin was 8 years-old when Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972. (Biden was 29 at that time)

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. F O O T -----IN-------M O U T H

P I P E R ,,,,,,,,P A L I N,,,,,,,, I S,,,,,,,G O I N G,,,,,,,,,T O,,,,,,,, K I C K,,,,,,,,,,,

B I D E N ' S,,,,,,,,,,,B A L D,,,,,,,,H E A D,,,,,,,,,,A N D,,,,,,,,,,H U G E,,,,,,,,,,,

M O U T H

September 30, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Shane

McCain/Palin-Delusional in '08

So, Sarah, were you, really, like, listening to Senate speeches in 2nd grade?

What kind of American would vote for them?

September 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. KP

Thanks for making the Dem's argument for us Sarah!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08/'12

September 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. Lesley

Palin is still IN, like the second grade.

September 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Adam

She just made Obama's case! Thank you Gov. Palin!

September 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  6. Dawnci

She forgot – what is funny is Cindy's reaction.

September 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Elizabeth in Texas

Bwhahahahaha

We don't even know her ideas on anything so how can we choose?

September 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Ian Minneapolis, MN

Ummm....ok so it's another thing that campaign has said...that meant something else. I guess that is cool.
    Also I don't think that this woman is the new....anything! She is just a puppet of the GOP

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Amy in Mineapolis

This woman is not quilified to cook in my kitchen!!

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

Since people will supposedly be voting for the TOP of the ticket, and NOT the VP pick, that argument would benefit Obama ("new energy and ideas", as opposed to McCain)! Keep talkin', Sarah....

Go Obama/Biden '08!!

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  11. Sandy

What is one new idea – just one? This has nothing to do with being a woman, this has to do with being a candidate who is continually selling herself (and being sold as) the breath of fresh air with all new ideas. What are they?

And that is the biggest load of crap about the grade two comment not being negative. It was just not wise given her running mate.

And by the way, John McCain stepping in to defend her when Couric asked her a question the other night was not chivalrous, it was sexist. If a man tried to break in and answer a question for me, I would be outraged. McCain sees nothing wrong with it I'm sure, but it was wrong politically and it was wrong period. He would never have done that to a man, and she should not have stood for it.

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  12. Elizabeth in Texas

Duh, it's all about job creation and health care and Russia and snowmobiles, like totally!

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. CapoCastillo

I think it's been well documented that the McCain campaign is going full bore with the hypocrisy strategy.

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. Sarah

I can see the moon from my backyard. Does that make me an astronaut?

September 30, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. Carolyn

IS PALIN STUPID OR WHAT??!!??!! Palin is making fun of Bidens age??!!?? Look who you're running with honey, McCain is older than Biden.

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. Chris

She has no new ideas... she's a parrot for the trite prerecorded republican tag lines that have been used since Regan.

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. Joe

why can't I read her comments without the accompanying smarmy accent/voice she has? and why does she insist on leaving out pronouns?? I do not understand her appeal at all, and I can't imagine having to listen to her try to speak for another 4+ years. It may even be more irritating than Bush's fake texan accent.

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. Michael

Probably the most intelligent, coherent sentence I've heard her say all week.

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. Phyllis in Buffalo

Yeah, right. She's really getting good at this lying thing. Anybody with a brain (which excludes her) knew exactly what she meant. I hope Joe Biden barbecues her on Thursday!

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  20. Susan

I agree. I heard from people we know that she is an excellent Governor.

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  21. Sally

Palin is a disgrace to Women !!!!

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  22. Jeez

You spin me right round baby, right round....

September 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  23. Maggie

She has ideas?
    Since when?
    She can't even answer a question coherently. You have to have an interpreter to understand what she's saying.

Doesn't she realize how ridiculous and pathetic she seems?

September 30, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  24. Lesley

Julia – I hope Biden reads your comment. It's a great fact to know!

September 30, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  25. Michael

The sentence of hers quoted near the end of the article strikes me as very oddly stated since the population is, in effect, voting for the presidency rather than the vice presidency. Obama represents the new energy; McCain represents the guy with experience. Palin is, in effect, suggesting we should vote for the 'new face' – which happens to be on the other ticket.

September 30, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |