September 30th, 2008

Palin says she's the 'new energy'

Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'
Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin said she was not taking a jab at Joe Biden's age or lengthy stint in Washington when recently joking she had been listening to the Delaware senator's speeches since the second grade.

"Oh no, it's nothing negative at all," Palin told Katie Couric Monday in the latest installment of her Monday interview with the CBS anchor. "He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years."

The original comments came at an Ohio rally Monday, when Palin told the cheering crowd, "I'm looking forward to meeting [Biden] too, I've never met him before - but I've been hearing about his senate speeches since I was in, like the second grade."

Watch: Palin goes after Biden

Some political observers found that comment peculiar, given her own running mate is the oldest man ever to seek a first presidential term. But Palin said she was merely contrasting the differences she sees between herself and Biden.

"He's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many, many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years," she said.

Palin was 8 years-old when Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972. (Biden was 29 at that time)

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Tj oh

She's new, alright. The NEW George Bush 2.0: Dumber, More Radical, and More Unqualified than the original version.

September 30, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Jasmine

Sure you were. Now if he had done that he would be called a sexist.

September 30, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  3. Tina

The Republican ticket is finished. Palin, as it turned out, was the biggest mistake of McCains campaign. He thought any ole woman would do. He should have picked one with a measurable IQ.

September 30, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Dave Florida for OBAMA

Can you see her as President of the United States?

Mcsame made a major mistake by putting this lady on the ticket. She is absolutely unqualified to be Vice President of the U.S. We are in serious trouble if they're elected. McSame put campaign first instead of country.

September 30, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. LS

Palin is a woman who has abused her power in the past – how do you think Palin would act like if she was actually elected in the White House?

McCain better watch himself over Palin. I haven't had one good feeling about her since she stepped in the public eye, not one.

Palin knows McCain is old and will probably kick-the-bucket soon. I bet this has crossed her mind more than once.

Palin is bad, bad news.

September 30, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. New York

She doesn't realize how stupid she sounds considering Joe Biden is younger than McCain and McCain has been in the Senate for a long time. She is also NUMBER 2 on the ticket so her being new means nothing because we are voting for the TOP of the ticket. If I have to choose between the old and new...I'm saying thanks but not thanks to the ticket of McCain/Palin....Give me Obama/Biden!!!

September 30, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  7. Louis

How much longer do we have to listen to this idiot?

September 30, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. Theresa Pettrie

It would help the Republican ticket if Palin would step down.

September 30, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  9. Jr

CNN POST THIS

McCain is abuse to Palin, she is not qualified! i FEELL sorry about her ..really sad

September 30, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  10. Stephen in Texas

The republicans have been consistently dumbing down the presidency and it began with Quayle, in which we dodged a bullet with him. Then came "W" (look where we ended up) and now Palin. The more I hear her speak, regardless of any political reports, I think she is a moron who is dangerously ill-prepared to be second in command. No matter which way you slice it. If I were a republican woman I would be furious that McCain chose her over any number of more qualified republican women.

September 30, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. jm from sc

It does not matter what Sarah does or what she does not know, the republicans will still get on televison in support of her. I think this is the worst VP pick in the history of politics. Sarah will be given the questions in advance and memorize the answers. I don't think this lady read the newspapers before she was slightly vetted for McCain's VP.

Obama/Biden the only way to go in 08 and beyond.

September 30, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. Kerry

New Liar, I mean Bush!

September 30, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  13. Brian

Unfortunately Sarah all you are is energy and a face. Maybe you should use some of that energy chasing wolves in Alaska, that way you wouldn't have to waste money on those pesky helicopter rides where you shoot the wolves from the air.

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Dee

Palin makes the age comments about Biden, but there is no one older than McCain running in this presidential election, so if she thinks Biden is old, what does she have to say about McCain?

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Shane

What a stupid woman!

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. and then...

is this mccains stratgey?

I mean, Obama is the new face, the new energy. Is Mccain trying to nuetrilize obaba with Palin? I mean, its a good strategy on paper, but man did you pick the wrong person to carry it out with...

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

The more I hear Palin speak (unbridled by her Republican handlers) the more disgusted I get.

I would love her as my neighborhood action committee chairperson, but not as anything higher in the political chain. A personal high energy level is one thng, but you have to have a brain to go with it.

I am underwhelmed!

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. Brad

The more this woman speaks in public, the worse it gets for her!!

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. Peggy - TX

The average hocky Mom knows more about world affairs then Palin. Palin is a joke.

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  20. dbacchus

For the first time, she spoke the truth!! SHE IS THE NEW REPUBLICAN ENERGY!!
    And that, my friends, is pathetic :)

September 30, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  21. dark days

She's the new "energy"! I've been waiting for this moment! ! Back to feeding my unicorns.

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  22. texasgirl

Palin's ego is matched only by GWB. And look where that got us. I have never seen anyone with fewer credentials and ability yet with such an overinflated sense of self. Please send her back to Alaska...please. Our country can't handle any more incompetence. We've had our fill.

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  23. Dwayne Mayor

Fantastic endorsement of Senator Obama. Thank you Palin!

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  24. Kim

The worst part of the Palin and Couric interview has not even aired on TV. Couric asked Palin a simple question about the Supreme Court. Palin sat dumbfounded and could not even speak. She looked like a Moose caught in a snowmachines headlights. She had no clue what she had just been asked. My Lord. If only the 'new energy' had a brain.

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Abby

God Bless Obama, The Real New Eneregy!

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |