September 30th, 2008

Palin says she's the 'new energy'

Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'
Palin told CBS' Katie Couric she represents 'new energy.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin said she was not taking a jab at Joe Biden's age or lengthy stint in Washington when recently joking she had been listening to the Delaware senator's speeches since the second grade.

"Oh no, it's nothing negative at all," Palin told Katie Couric Monday in the latest installment of her Monday interview with the CBS anchor. "He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years."

The original comments came at an Ohio rally Monday, when Palin told the cheering crowd, "I'm looking forward to meeting [Biden] too, I've never met him before - but I've been hearing about his senate speeches since I was in, like the second grade."

Watch: Palin goes after Biden

Some political observers found that comment peculiar, given her own running mate is the oldest man ever to seek a first presidential term. But Palin said she was merely contrasting the differences she sees between herself and Biden.

"He's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many, many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years," she said.

Palin was 8 years-old when Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972. (Biden was 29 at that time)

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Cheryl in Florida

Seems to me every time the McCain/Palin campaign make another gaffuw shortly thereafter they say the didn't really mean it. Please I would hope most of the American people are smarter than they think and act like we are. What they represent is lies, deception, a habit of finger pointing and dirty politicing. Obama and Biden will prevail!!

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. John

but if someone said putting lipstick on a pig, her campaign would freak out...

September 30, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. MikeH

Did someone give Sarah a New-Age crystal pendant so she could channel all that 'New Energy' she has?

But seriously folks, If this woman was what the Democrats had fielded, all you Republican toady trolls would be howling with laughter.

No matter, I don't think Joe will be too harsh on her, wouldn't be prudent, and he'll just do enough surgical strikes to show what a twinkie-brain she is.

September 30, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. Kelby from Houston, TX

The 'new energy'?
    Yeah, pitpull puppy power!!!
    Joe Biden will win the debate hands down across the board and across the aisle as long as Palin shows up and shows out. She has yet to appear intelligent. She is a fool, we all know it and everyone who is in denial of this fact will see it during the debate.

VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS
    VOTE FOR OBAMA

September 30, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. pdixon

GIA IN LOS ANGELES...I AM PDIXON IN LOS ANGELES AND THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT: SHE JUST MADE AN ARGUMENT FOR VOTING OBAMA VERSUS MCCAIN INTO OFFICE! IDIOT
    OBAMA-BIDEN 08

September 30, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  6. Yemol

Keep shooting McCain and your campaign in the foot Sarah. Great job!!!

September 30, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. Danny in Chicago

I don't think Mrs. Palin is aware of what 'new' ideas really are. I mean, living in Alaska isn't exactly the most enlightened environment for ideas, is it? Perhaps living in darkness for months is an inspiration for some.......

This isn't the 80's Republicans....come on....seriously......

This is all you've got?????

September 30, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  8. courtney

She has absolutely no substance. I cannot phathom why anyone would vote for their ticket.

September 30, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. BOOTSTOMPER

This woman is a complete IDIOT!

September 30, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. Jeffrey

Palin has been, LIKE, following Biden since the second grade? She actually said "like" in the middle of her sentence? "Okay, President Mushareff, we're going to, LIKE, come over your borders and get those terrorists that are threatening American lives!"

September 30, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. christoph

good grief, is that woman stupid or what!? god help America, and the rest of the world, if she and that senile angry old man are being elected into office come November!!!

September 30, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. independentfobama

No you aren't!

In the interest of your party, resign and give yourself more time to mature and prepare for national politics. You can actually become a formidable presidential candidate someday but this cake needs to stay in the oven.

September 30, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  13. RYAN kr Jr

Republicans and McCain 're sleazy politcian, they do not have clue about what is going on. 8yrs of stupidity and another more 4yrs of stupidity. Our country is doomed. SARAH PALIN=DUMB 08.

September 30, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. rich

She's the "new energy" alright. ...moose energy. lol. SNL just got new material.

September 30, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  15. jack

Contrary to what they want you to believe, John Mccian did not vet this lady! I mean, does any of this make sense? Didn't anybody look at her remarks before she went on stage? If anything, the last thing the Mccain Campaign want to talk about is Age.

The whole Mccain campaign is just BIZARRE!

September 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  16. NettenAZ

Are you kidding me?!! She clearly meant to comment on his age, but as always forgot how that pertains to her own running mate. I guess being a hypocrite is the new thing for "New Energy" Mrs. Palin.

September 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. S. Boatman

You Are Not The New Energy . . . You Are The New Joke!

September 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. JohnJon

CNN never seems to print my post . Why?
    Sarah, you said exactly what you meant it to be and don't try and deny it. What I can't understand about her is, if she would just tell the truth instead of lying and trying to cover up that she doesn't know anything, people would respect her more for it. Man, I don't get these people who try and fool the people all of the time. It never works so why use it.

Obama/Biden 08

September 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. Brad Jungert

You have to be 35 or older to become a senator.

September 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. R.I.F.

Listening to McCain and Palin spin, twist, and turn will make you dizzy. She 100% meant it as a swipe at Biden.

McCain and Palin have truly become the Double Talk Express. Say one thing, then say another, then mean another, then blame Obama. These two aren't fit to run a IHOP at this point.

September 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. Griff

Ron Paul Predicted? How? If you already know the result, why predict?? I Predict Barack Obam will not win in November! But I did that 6 months ago...

September 30, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  22. Pat in SD

I'm sure Katie Couric would have asked her if it was ironic that she'd draw attention to Biden's age given how old McCain is. I'm sure she would have asked the question if she thought Palin knew what irony was. Tina Fey says thank you for giving her such great material.

September 30, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. Hillary next time

Joe Biden has done over 100 interviews since being chosen as Barack's running mate.

Sarach Palin has done 3- and look how well those turned out.

September 30, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  24. Jerry D

I am waiting for a "family emergency" to arise on the night before the debate. Palin is going to need an audio device to tell her what to say as well as when to shut up!

September 30, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  25. Ratgurl

She's the new something, but I wouldn't call it energy.

September 30, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |