October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Glenn in California

We're all going to need a six pack every day if this moron and John McLame make it to the White House. I saw the piece on CNN last night about the island in Alaska where you can actually see Russia. It's hilarious that Caribou Barbie has never even been there and doesn't have a clue about that, as well as anything else. It's shameful of McLame that he abandoned all of his morals and values in picking her just so he could win at any cost. Pitiful. Sit him down and make sure he gets his meds on a regular basis.

Just say NO to Bush 44.

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  2. Tom

James Wilson and Olivia, just remember you're supporting losers.

Why would you support losers?

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  3. Wayne, Greenville TX

The only way Sarah Palin should go to Washington DC is as a tourist. She has all the intellect of Dan Quayle.

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. Tom

1. I do not Joe normal six pack as my vice president. Joe normal six pack does not understand the economy. 2. I am a financial planner and Sarah and Todd should have moved their money into money markets and fixed accounts 8 months age. This shows a lack of knowledge of the market.

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. Truth Hurts

I don't believe Palin lost 20k in this meltdown. This is just another stunt to act like she care about he economy and American people. Why is she just now coming up with she lost this money now? People I know who really lost their money checked on this a couple a weeks ago!! The conservatives will say or do any thing to try and gain grounds!!

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. sue

I'm an average American and I believe I could debate (and win the debate) with Palin on foreign affairs. I also have lost money in the stock market – as has just about everyone else. I listen to what she says (when we get the chance to hear her speak) and I cannot believe she has any better grasp on the problems and possible solutions than I do. In fact, from listening to her I believe I have better common sense and reasoning skills than she does. Yet I don't think I'm ready to be the VP of this country.

And with all that being said, if I don't think I'm ready – I know she isn't.

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  7. Andrea

It's too bad she lost all of that money...I am stilling hoping for her early retirement in November though

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  8. stephanie

isn't the current occupant of the whitehouse, a joe six-pack?

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. check and checkmate

sorry to hear it you should have gone into bonds august of 07 like I did I'm not a collage grad and we saw this storm on the horizon and the experts didn't. Perhaps a lot of alittle common sence should be put into the Gov't ya think.

Rep. Pres. Liberal Demo Congress no more one party rule!

2012 😉

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. Jon from London

Another desperate attempt by SP to create rapport with people...

Sure Joe-6-pack needs to be represented, but I am not sure that you would want Joe-6-pack running the country... Matt Damon was right... a very bad Disney movie...

The veteran soldier and the hockey-mum come joe-6-pack... how sad.

I am not american and cannot vote, but it is clear that Obama has a vision to integrate american with the rest of the world, McC/P are desperately trying to get the vote of the fearful and the closed minded... I really hope you wake up... the world is not out there to get you and if America starts talking to people and showing up as a leading force, everyone will follow.

Its the 21st century, go out of your borders and travel like the rest of the inhabitants of planet earth. You will realise it's a lot nicer than the scaremongers are wanting you to believe.

We love you guys, dont shoot yourself in the foot again for the 3rd time.

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  11. Robert

She wants to manage the US economy and can't even manage a simple 401k plan? My 401k plan has been making money as the market sinks because its invested properly.

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  12. Michael, watching from Canada

America is the most powerful country in the world, but......

why does America continue to ruin its image around the world when many people continually try to label Obama as a Muslim, say that "liberal" is bad and weak and that.......

....it is OK to lie and spin truth about good people.

It is so sad to watch Republicans do whatever they need to do to win.

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  13. reality

Liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  14. Doug R.

You have to laugh at these Republicans who seem infatuated with Ms. Palin because she's from Alaska or something. The kool-aid drinkers have failed to take a step back and examine her on the issues facing this country and she really is very clueless, to say the least. This goes to show all what kind of judgement John McCain has.

October 1, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  15. mb

Katie, criticsim of Palin is not just coming from "liberals". It's coming from everywhere. The woman is a moron and the only time she doesn't say anything that sets off a cringe reflex is when she's parroting off the spoon fed lines she learned in debate camp.

October 1, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  16. Slash

Wrong, Palin. We're ticked that McCain, ever the hypocrite, chose someone with absolutely no foreign policy experience and far-right radical views (particularly no abortion options for rape victims) to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. If you think that the American people don't realize that you were chosen for ONE reason-to try (and fail, judging from the polls) to take Hillary supporters away from Obama-you're an even bigger fool than I thought.

If you want McCain to have a chance, resign from the position of running mate now and recommend that he chose someone far more qualified, like Huckabee or Romney. Or some random guy off the street who weren't for multi-million dollar bridges to nowhere before they were against them. They're more qualified, too.

October 1, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  17. A Recovering Republican

Just what we want as the second most powerful person in the world in line to be the most powerful. A beer swilling, cutesy, prom queen with no depth. And its not only the "liberals" after her. Some of the most staunchest conservatives are questioning her ability and McCain's judgment in choosing her. Of course, those conservatives who don't hew the party line are "elitists."

What did our founding fathers wrought?

10 years sober