October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. West Virginians For Obama

"Geez," I wish she would shut up and go away.

Obama/Biden 2008

September 30, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. Kelly

She said Joe six-pack American!! SHE RELATES TO ME!!!

Give me a break.

September 30, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. Ted

Joe six-pack American? That's like McCain or Clinton calling themelves a young Harvard-educated African American.
    Sorry Sarah, you lose. Yet again.

September 30, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  4. Democrat from AZ

omg, she doesn't get it, does she???? Us horrible liberals don't have anything against you, Sarah, EXCEPT YOU ARE NOT QUALIFED TO BE VP!! By the way, have you seen my car going around Sedona with the Obama signs in the window?

September 30, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. jojo

I personally don't want anyone like me as VP and I'm pretty smart and accomplished. Its been a hard 8 years feeling like I'm smarter than my president. I don't feel liek going through that again.

September 30, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  6. Todd

Or they recognize she's more a joke than Dan Quayle. She seems like a decent person but hardly ready to lead the country.

September 30, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Nando, Florida

Yeah thats what we need a DRUNK in the WHITE HOUSE , AMERICA WE WENT THAT ROUTE 8YRS AGO , HOWS THAT WORKING OUT FOR YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. Juge

I think the operative word here is 'normal'. There is NOTHING normal about you Sarah. You are a farce and just remember there will be checks and counter-checks to make sure you are not wired for sound on thursday.

September 30, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Charles in Cincinnati

As the saying goes, I think she's one beer short of a six-pack.

September 30, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

she's a boob, a total boob

September 30, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. Michele

Most people can't lose $20,000 in a 401K because they don't have it!! The average American can't invest a dime in anything except their monthly housing payment. Palin is richer than Joe Biden anyway....he's the true "Joe six pack"!

September 30, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

Oh, now she's Joe Biden.

Thanks, but no thanks, Ms. Palin.

You might understand what the problems are, but you have no inkling of the answers.

September 30, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. Muz

The only thing that took me off guard is every dumb word that came out of your mouth Palin

September 30, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. Dan

I'm not sure if Larry the Cable Guy's wife is exactly Veep material, y'know?

September 30, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. MEP

If she means that like a can of beer, she's intellect -free, I agree.Unfortunately she's not trying out for a beer commercial . She's running for the most important job in America( sooner or later). Sarah is not presidential or vice-presidential material. Period.

September 30, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. gl

Come on! Is this the best Palin really can do? Please lady can you talk in complete sentents.

September 30, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  17. John

Is she serious. Maybe she should have asked to use her lifeline.

September 30, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. Linda

I thought she was female. How about Josephine or she is referring to Joe Biden being VP???

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  19. p1tey1

I have no words. The scary thing about her is she really takes herself seriously.

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  20. Mike

Great Job Sarah!

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  21. jason, tx

She's a moron.

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  22. gl

Joe-six pack American – What the hell is that phase support to mean? This woman is a realy joke.

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. Tim

Sarah Palin is frightening! I definitely would consider moving to another country for the 'safety' of my family if she and McCain are elected. A scary thought!

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. Doug

You gotta be freakin' kidding me. I've read her total net worth exceed 10M. Who is she kidding?

Does anyone actually believe this garbage?

September 30, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. Vegas Barbie for Obama

ummmm, I doubt that "Joe Six-Pack" has $20,000 invested on Wall Street that he/she COULD lose, or stand to lose. There was an article today on CNN that said that Palin and her family pretty much live the high life in comparison to Wasila residents in general. Give it up, Sarah, you are neither coherent nor believable in this effort.
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08 & '12 YES WE CAN!!

September 30, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |