October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Biff

Geez....

if we fall for this mularky again.. we DESERVE everything that comes.

September 30, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  2. Leah,Texas

My God! I don't want a 'Joe six-pack American' in the President or VP slot.
    We need intelligent, serious, educated leaders!
    Palin needs to go back to Alaska where she can hang out with the boys and drink beer while ice fishing.

September 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  3. JohnJon

Joe-six pack American”. Hahahahahahahaha. Man this circus gets better every day. No one could ever write this stuff. Was this man really serious when he picked this woman? I'm sorry America, but as a Canadian, this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen in American politics. I hope you don't honestly take this seriously. because if you do, it would be the icing on the cake. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Oh man , my stomach hurts from laughing so much. Got to say it, but yanks are the funniest people on the planet if not the most idiotic.

September 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. Bill Charlotte,NC

"Joe six-pack American"

Yeah, that is what we need to take Cowboy "want'm dead or alive" Bush's place.

September 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. You've got to be kiddng me

She and the hubby lost $20K in the stock market and she dares to call herself "normal Joe six-pack American"? How many of us even HAD $20K worth of stock to lose? If she tries to line herself up with the reality of Americans again, I think I'll move to Russia....she'll be able to see me from her house....we can wave at each other when she goes back to her "normal" American life.

Obama 08!!!!!

September 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  6. No I am just scared that you are just as smart as me!

I want a President and a VP that is smarter than me on issues of domestic and foreign affairs. I do not want this to turn into a disney movie where "Joe-six pack American" becomes VP and then President when McCain dies in office! I am terrified because then someone else is in the background having to tell you what to do! And those people will be lobbyist!

Besides you support killing wolves after running them to exhaustion from low flying planes! Hunting is one thing, but that is downright inhumane!

September 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  7. Another AC

Is Sarah Palin SERIOUS? She nonchalantly mentions that she's lost $20,000 on Wall Street and then refers to herself as Joe six-pack American?!

Sorry Sarah– the Joes I know– cannot afford to lose that much. Heck, the Joes I know can't afford to INVEST that much...

September 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  8. Frankie

I will not vote for Obama/Biden. They truely do not represent 'Change'. This has already been proven. Barak Obama can only dream of representing the 'Change' that Sarah Palin will usher into the hallowed halls of Capitol Hill! Sit back Obama/Biden and make way for real 'Change' we can beleive in! No way, no how, no Obama!

September 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. Rob in vegas

the average american doesn't have that much in a 401k, she's still not "average" AT ALL!!!

September 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. ThinkaboutIT

Actually, Palin is a few beers short of a sick pack!

September 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  11. Not4MoreYears

I DON'T WANT JOE SIX-PACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE. WE HAVE THAT NOW AND IT'S NOT WORKING OUT REAL WELL!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. Issues Voter

Is this a new phrase her "handlers" are trying out...."Joe six-pack American?" Hmmmmm....I guess "the hockey-mom" and "pitbull with lipstick" have lost their original impact...... They're getting desperate....This is such a joke!

September 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. joe 4-pack

so....she's just like most "average folks" who can take a 20K loss, and still be fine? PLEASE.
    Most of the people I work with don't even HAVE 20k sitting in their retirement accounts!! IF they even have one at all!
    And not to "be hostile"- but the reason Palin ticks me off, ISN'T that she is an outsider.
    It's because she has appalling views on women's rights; is Not allowed to talk to the press while Rove is busy trying to program her into Mcgrandpa's hit girl; and says STUPID STUPID things.
    (like the above)

September 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  14. NH Mom

Heaven help us if Americans think that a "normal joe 6 pack" is really what we need in the leadership role of our country. Particularly in light of the current economic crisis and ongoing war. Haven't Americans learned from the failure of electing "W" –a guy who people said they would like to have a beer with. Don't we need qualifications beyond being an average or seemingly approachable person when we select a person to run our country. We need someone who is educated, brilliant, insightful, who understands the complex problems and issues our country faces, and who can offer and deliver solutions for all Americans.
    Stop focusing on whether a candidiate is like you and start focusing on whether the candidiate can run our government and handle our pressing and complex problems. We have to turn our country around ASAP or our best days are surely behind us.

September 30, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  15. Tony in Chicago

Is every article in here going to be about Palin? Joe Biden is running for VP also. You know, the person who's foreign policy experience is not the fact he lives near Russia.. Now that I think about it – I stayed in Washington DC on an consultant engagement for a few weeks.. That has to qualify me for speaker of the house or something similar..

September 30, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  16. Enough is Enough!!

Actually, we had a "Joe-six pack American" in the WH and we can't afford another one.
    Mrs. Palin doesn't understand that she has been attacking her running mate ever since he picked her as his VP. She is for attacking Pakistani borders while Mccain Hammered Obama over that. She mocked Joe Biden's age while introducing her 72 years old mate during a rally in Ohio. She might be a hunter, but she is aiming at the wrong direction.

September 30, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  17. reggie

COME NOV 4 WERE GOING TO SEND HER BACK TQ ALASKA WITH A SIX PACK

September 30, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  18. PK

Palin will make an excellent VP! This Democrat is voting McCain and Palin someone we can actually trust.

September 30, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  19. SS

Palin you have no idea what us Americans are going through.
    How can you even relate losing 20,000 to living in dire straights day in and day out. One day of worry for you doesn't even compare to the worries the American people have. Gas, groceries, mortgages, loss of jobs, no health insurance, as well as the environment.
    PLEASE!

September 30, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  20. Dal CA

Joe-Six pack American comment she is saying that she is Joe Biden. What her family lost only $20,000.00. A lot of people in America have lost more than that yesterday. I am not looking at what I have lost yesterday as I am looking at the future not just day to day stuff. If I invest in the stock market it is for the long run.
    Hey I can see moon from my back yard hence I am an ASTRONAUT.

September 30, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. Morris Graham

I feel like I could use a beer...

September 30, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  22. Andrew

CNN please post this:

Not to be condescending but I personally don't want a "Joe six-pack" American as the vice president of this country. I want someone who is intelligent, has a handle on both national and global issues, and preferably has some experience in large scale politics. Is that too much to ask?

September 30, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  23. Neal

Yeah, well I for one sure as heck don't want Joe six-pack America as president who has Joe Lieberman politics. Bush is a 'regular guy' and that hasn't turned out so well.
    No, I'll take a president who is articulate, has read a few books, and knows something over someone who thinks praying is better than a good education.

My God, look were stupidity and faith has landed us.

September 30, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. John, FL

JOE SIX PACK DOESN'T HAVE A 401K.

September 30, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  25. Joe Dallas/Fort Worth

That's just the problem! America doesn't need a "joe six-pack" to be second in line to the oval office. That's what George Bush is. If anything, we need a person who could lead the free world, someone who would be able to transition smoothly into office, and someone who would be able to stay current on important issues and take necessary actions. No thank you, Joe six-pack.

September 30, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |