October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Phil Newton from Murphy, Oregon

I don't care if she's Karl Kegger.

She is not ready to be a heartbeat from the oval office and her views are out of the mainstream.

Way out.

September 30, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  2. Nom Deplume

Good. Glad that they are hostile. Now we can get down to some serious herd-thinning.

Otherwise, it is gonna get awfully cold and hungry in Blue America while those of us in flyover country have all the food and fuel.

September 30, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  3. Lisa

Sarah, you're right...I am ticked off about it! As a woman in middle management interested in politics I am disgusted that you're ego trip might just have set women's progress back by about 100 years! You are allowing yourself to be treated in a sexist manner by the very guy that invited you to his ticket and you stand for it! Your name – calling and Limbaugh-like sound bites are not becoming. If you are capable of playing on the national political stage then please, stick to the issues...critique those of your opponents, not the opponent!

The ultimate war ticket...
    McCain: POW
    Palin: MIA

September 30, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  4. Melvin

Barack obama was not complaining about the right wing attacks. Its POLITICS STUPID!!!!

September 30, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. Brian loves Palin

She has done something and has more experience then the guy on top of your ticket.

She is great and is just what this country needs, more main street and less Government K Street.

Watch out in the battleground states as Barack and Acorn (extreme left branch of government previously convicted of voter fraud) will try to steal the election in Ohio, PA, Virginia, etc...

Barack = Acorn, Ayers, Wright, and Rezko. Barack is truly a sleazebag.

God help us if your media messiah takes over our country as he will increase the government and increase our taxes big time. He will bring socialism to this country.

God help us.

McCain\Palin and Hillary 2008

September 30, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. Eric in New Castle

Joe Biden read this,
    Please don't make Palin look like a nut bag. McCain is your friend. Sarah is off her rocker, everyone is seeing this. Joe I know you will win this, but you don't have to destroy the GOP in the process. Sarah you need to go home.

September 30, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  7. Sara

I want leadership and talent in the White House, not some dumb cluck who calls herself a "Joe Sixpack".

September 30, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. Major Tom

This is Major Tom to Ground Control.

What in the world is going on down there?

September 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. Jim Caden, New York

I love this woman.

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Melissa B/Greensboro, NC

I'm not interested in a "Joe six pack" stereotype being a heartbeat away from the Presidency. I'd prefer a more "INTELLIGENT" person in that role, thank you

September 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. Boooo!

CNN you're running outta news.

September 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Rhonda Ludlow

I think Palin has no ideal how main steam american is I wish I had 20,000 to lose thats not the case for most of us we live month to month, while our 401k our being taken ,I do believe we need change and its not with the republican party which I voted for bush , I must say I do know people who will vote for Mc cain because he is the republican not because of his message or his 26 years is the Senate, I think thats just said , I personal will vote For Obama this election , I personal have been so turn off on how the Republian party has ran there election and there untruths , I think its sad that race in the 21st century is still an issues with some americans , I think people need to understand that this is 2008 not 1950 and to judge a person for there race rather then there message or facts is a shame , I know the debate on thursday night will be more of the Mc cain /Palin untruths, I guess will see,

September 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  13. Paul

Um, it is insulting to portray Americans as lazy and dumb, and needing a sixer of beer is nasty too. Palin is a disgusting redneck, just like her shotgun-wedding-having-daughter's fiance. CNN, why not let this truth be approved?

September 30, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. If you like McCain-Palin, you must love being lied to

Did Palin just call all "Joe-Six pack America" a bunch of liars like her? That makes me feel like throwing up.

September 30, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  15. mark

Personally I want Joe six-pack American on his coach watching football. Frankly, that's where Joe six-pack American knows he belongs, which puts him head and shoulders above Sarah (she has no idea of her limitations; if she were smarter she would have known that she is not qualified for this job). Just because she can recognize that the stock market went down and Todd lost some 401K money doesn't mean she has a clue about why this is happening or what to do about it.

September 30, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  16. Seam, Philly

First, she calls herself a hockey mom, now she's a Joe Six Pack American. Please come again. You lost me.

September 30, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  17. Lisa

What is wrong with this woman? Just because they lost some money in their 401k now she thinks she knows what's going on? My husband doesn't come to work and sit in on my business meetings. I don't get reimbursed to fly my family all over the state either. I guess now she has to play the poor Sarah card because it's too obvious that the qualifications for the office are not there.

September 30, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  18. Tracy

Okay – its past time to get someone in to help her with her grammar and to avoid making comparisons such as a "normal Joe six-pack American". I guess that population feels well represented.

September 30, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  19. THE TRUTH

NOW LET ME TELL YOU HOW I REALLY FEEL. SARAH IF YOU DEBATE THURSDAY, OBAMA IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT. HAHAHA! BECAUSE THIS IT GOING TO BE A COMEDY SHOW. OH, BIDEN IS NOT GOING TO MESS UP, YOU ARE. ALL HE HAS TO DO IS JUST SET BACK AND LET YOUR WORDS FLOW LIKE THEY HAVE IN THE PAST INTERVIEWS YOU HAVE HAD. I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS I HAVE BOUGHT ME A BIG BAG OF POPCORN, BEER, AND PAPER TOWELS. YES, PAPER TOWELS TO WASH THE SPIT OFF THE PICTURE TUBE AFTER EVERY TIME YOU SPEAK. MY YOUNGEST CHILD WAS ALLOWED TO WATCH THE LAST CAMPAIGN BEBATE, BUT SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH THIS ONE. SEE I WANT BE ABLE TO HOLD BACK THE LAUGHING AND THROWING UP. I KNOW I WILL CRY AT THE END BECAUSE OF THE JOY IN MY SOLE. I WILL HAVE SO MUCH JOY IN MY SOLE JUST KNOWING THAT MCSHAME/PALIN THE LIARS, ARE ON THIER WAY HOME IN JUST A FEW DAYS. HOME, RIGHT. NOT TO THE WHITE HOUSE, BUT TO THE OUT HOUSE. BYE BYE

September 30, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. Tracy

Isn't this how Bush got elected twice? Because he was somebody "Joe six-pack" would enjoy having a beer with? Well, that's fine, if all you want to talk about is NASCAR and how you want your steak cooked. Personally, I think Barack, Michelle, Jill and Joe would be a lot more fun to hang out with. . . but then, I like to think. And, since I have teenagers and an example to set, I also don't drink beer.

September 30, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. hitobito

Sarah Palin sounds like she learned little or nothing about basic grammar and sentence syntax at the five colleges she attended. Its hard to believe she is actually the governor of a state! The normal Joe six-pack American is significantly smarter than Sarah Palin. This woman is painfully ignorant! She actually believes she is qualified to be the Vice President of the US! That is intellectual arrogance to the extreme! Her ridiculous idea of proximity to Russia giving her international policy expertise is bordering on delusion particularly since she has never actually seen Russia from Alaska.

September 30, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. A liberal texan

No sarah! We are ticked off and tired of the last 8 years of joe-six pack american failed policies of bush! He was elected because he was someone that looked like u could have a beer with, and look how far that got us!

September 30, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. kenneth bernstein

You know....that Sarah Palin is a real joke.....Yeah, shes a real Joe Blow alright ...her entire family belongs on Jerry Springer.

Obama 08 / 12

September 30, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  24. frank burns

What is that suppose to mean? That she is a binge drinker?

September 30, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |