October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. J.L.

Please... we've already had a President that people felt they could share a beer with and look at the mess we're in now... sorry Palin, lets get some intelligent people back in the Presidency/Vice-Presidency. And given McCain's age, don't want you to be the next one to take his place...

September 30, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. sharon

who wants a Joe 6-pack American as VP and possibly POTUS?I think you deserve the smartest and the best to lead your country.Joe 6-pack is a dime a dozen. I think you owe it to the rest of the world to raise the bar a little higher.Please pick knowledge, experience, credentials and intelligence.

canada

September 30, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  3. Waukone

Everyone – remember don't under-estimate Palin. There is are a large number of people who want a president that they would want to have a beer with or go hunting with.

Me – I'm looking for thoughtful, measured, with a high IQ and a chance to rise above this situation.

September 30, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  4. GOP for Obama

‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are."

YOU REALLY THINK MOST AMERICANS LOST $20,000 THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DID THIS WOMAN GET ELECTED AS GOVERNOR?

SOMEBODY IS CLUELESS ! ! ! !

OBAMA / BIDEN '08 & '12

September 30, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  5. a Real American Joe

Wasn't Joe Biden's wife and child killed by a drunk driver?

They were Americans, too.

Fact – Drunk driving is #1 preventable death of children.

September 30, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  6. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

Hey Joe-six pack...please explain to me what is so normal about the belief that dinosaurs and humans walking the earth together 6,000 years ago?

This loony-tunes is way too extreme to be in the White House!

September 30, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  7. D.

If she and her family can have ANY money in the stock market right now, they are not average Americans.

September 30, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. Nancy, San Francisco

Joe Biden-–be afraid-be VERY afraid.

Palin for President 12 7 16'

September 30, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  9. white woman for Obama

We're ticked off because you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I know that my 401K took a hit this week but I have no idea what to do about it. I want a President and Vice President in the White House who can hear the facts and not just repeat them. You can't memorize flashcards. This is about a depth of knowledge and you don't get that with 1 month of debate camp. When I go to the dentist I don't want my dentist to be "Joe six-pack." I want him to be the best tooth doctor there is. Sarah Palin, you are out of your league and an affront to Joe-six packs all over the country who is counting on the next President to have a depth of knowledge to get us back on track.

September 30, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  10. McChicken

If you mentioning you lost $20K then..................... RELEASE YOUR TAX RETURNS!!

September 30, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Ian M

We've had a Joe six-pack in the White House for the past eight years and it hasn't worked very well.

September 30, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. Stan

Gosh darn Sarah... do you believe that the normal American is "Joe six pack." That is an insult to throw at the American Public. Next you'll be telling America that the "bailout" is only gonna cost ya a six pack a day!!

September 30, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  13. maynard hopkins wi

the 401 k plan was not worth a hoot when it was started.... the government isn't going to give you a $1200:00 tax write off . They will be standing down the road with there hand out to get it back later..

this was set up to take the heat off those politicans who RAIDED
    S.S. If S.S. WASN'T RAIDED THIS 401 K PLAN WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED ISN,T IT NICE THAT POLITICAINS CAN RAID A PROGRAM THAT WAS SET UP FOR YOUR GOLDEN YEARS AND MAKE A SHAMBLES OUT OF IT..

This is why we are in this mess today because of stupid people raiding the ss. in the first place

September 30, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  14. Lee in Ohio

Hmmm. I'm wondering just how many Americans are "facing" losing $20,000.00 from their investment portfolios. Something tells me that a lot of Palin's supposed Joe six pack buddies are more likely to be facing the issue of how to pay next month's bills. Geez.................

September 30, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. Tamara

JOe Siz Pack don't make 20K

September 30, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Well gee golly darn... Maybe I should run for president

September 30, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. Kathy

We have a Joe-six pack guy as president now and apparently according to the 2004 election that is what americans wanted a down to earth kind of guy. Please give us an intelligent president and VP this time around. They called FDR, JFK, elitists too remember. I am a down to earth white woman 52 RN who used to have a nest egg.

September 30, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  18. Chris in SC.

George W. was popular with the 'Joe six-pack' crowd too; look where that got us. This country would be much better voters' expectations were a little higher.

September 30, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  19. Mary in CT

“And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit. I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

-Subtle.

"It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency."

-Oh my god. Would you really want your Joe six-pack neighbor in the White House? Really?

Joe six-packs - You're being patronized! Don't stand for it!! Show them you're not the narcissistic losers they obviously think you are! Demand someone who knows what they're doing, someone who can actually craft policy that will keep your family safe and help you prosper.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  20. PSK

I have a lot of respect for down-to-earth Joe-Six-Pack Americans and have many in my family. But I would be very careful of one a conservative commentator calls "slick.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  21. ted

Wow. are u serious. it just gets better and better. ahhaahah. i swear. wow.
    Not to many americans have enough money to loose 20k in the market. mmm i wonder how much she actually has in them mmmmm. oh yeah. she will NOT release her tax returns. ouch.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. SARAH PALIN IS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE - CLUELESS!

$20,000 dollars in just last week? Wow; that's a lot of money; much more than my salary in a yr....my mere $300 loss can never beat that.

how much did mcsame lost on his 401k....is he clueless or it's in the millions?

the rich trying to bail out the rich. so much for being an ordinary gal.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  23. mccain's affirmative action pick

They are ticked off because no one wants edith bunker as vice president.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  24. Annie, Atlanta

No offense to "joe six-pack Americans." I am one. But you wouldn't want me as President or Vice President. I also read several newspapers and magazines and can actually give you their names. Is it too much to ask for something above mediocrity or lack of intellectual curiosity in our politicians, especially at the top?

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  25. No Hillary = No Obama

Kitchen table diplomacy, down home, salt of the earth, Josephine-Six -Pack, fumble and recover – touchdown! You go girl, swing those White House doors open and start the revolution and Katie Couric needs a lesson in respect.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |