October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. landi

Give me a frigging break.don't want my 5 year old daughter near the television when u are giving a speech.

September 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  2. chase

shut up and go away...far far away....

September 30, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  3. Emily

I am glad finally she is speaking up.

Palin, don't let McCain's sexism to take over your basic right of free speech. Say what you believe. If you do not know about foreign policy, just say you do not know, because you are an average American. And say you still understand how average Americans look at the foreign policy.

McCain has been extremely sexist in trying to mold you into some sorts of puppet. He thinks he can humiliate women by giving some unrealistic promotion (in his mind) and demand women to mold into and yield our dignity.

It is not your fault you have no foreign experience. McCain chose you, and if he can not live with his choice, McCain should step down.

Sorry, you will probably lose this election. But you can run again in 2012. For that, it is your benefit to let Americans know what you believe as an average American. Even if it is not aligned with your boss.

It is not the liberal who is tough on you. It is the elite in your own party who is unfair to you.

September 30, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. Loyal Repulican for 49 years voting for OBAMA

I have been a Rebublican for 49 years and have been loyal to my party. I am an well educated mother of four that has a very successful career. I have a PHD in Finance and Management and run a company that has more employees than Palins hometown. Does this make me qualified to be VP? I have had ENOUGH of this woman. She is a disgrace to the Republican party and to all woman. She can not speak a full sentence coherently. We need to vote responsibly. A vote for McCain/Palin is not responible.

September 30, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  5. Laurie from California

You're right I'm ticked off about it because not just *anybody* SHOULD be VP! If so, they'd hold the National VP Lottery every 4 years! We need somebody who has a basic grasp on National and Foreign policies and history if that is going to be his/her JOB. Remember–the tax payers are PAYING her and we are also HIRING her. WE should be able to interview her for the job whether it be while getting cheesecake or through media interviews. But she won't come out and talk to us. No way am I hiring her on Nov. 4!!!

September 30, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  6. the next president of the united states

high heels lipstic and no brains!

September 30, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  7. rebecca

i'm sorry, but a "joe-six pack american"? go read fareed zakaria's article in newsweek. that will change your minds....and liberals have reacted to sarah the same way conservatives act to liberals...like they represent the other side of the aisle. big deal! this is a partisan country with a two party system deeply engrained. of course a republican is met with hostility by democrats, just as democrats are met with hostility by republicans. i'm not sure i understand the problem....

September 30, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. Susans pics

America does not need another 'Joe six-pack American.' This one has run us into the ground. Joe six-pack can keep working to make America great, while Joe Harvard scholar, constitutional law professor, state and US legislator can lead my country.

Tell me though, with all this EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE, how come we haven't heard more about how Ms. Palin would handle this crisis? We haven't heard any specifics on what she would do, much less a reasonable grasp of the situation. Strange from someone with so much executive experience not to have any answers for us.

Please post CNN!

September 30, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  9. BigNT

Since when do all Americans have pastors remove all forms of witchcraft from their body, have pregnant teen daughters, and have a week where you lose $20,000 and just feel that the loss is something you should "look at." If I lose $20,000 it's a BIG DEAL. I don't have that much I can stand to lose and I think most of American is with me.

September 30, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  10. Elizabeth Martin

I am a 68-year-old widow who lives on Social Security retirement income and a few investments that have been losing, rather than earning, money over the last eighteen months. I cannot afford to be "a normal Joe six-pack American," nor would I want more than two beers a day even if I could buy more.

I doubt very seriously that anyone who gets a business travel stipend for sleeping in her own home really can understand what the average American is going through today, much less be "facing the same thing that we are." Whether I am liberal or conservative is irrelevant ~ Sarah just doesn't get it!

September 30, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  11. Jenny

I really can't stand this women. She is so stupid it's not even funny. All they can cry is "gotcha" journalism. I don't recall Obama ever blaming the media for the relentless scruitny he endured during the primaries.

For god sakes, this women is running for VP and they keep blaming the media – I'm disgusted by this whole thing. McCain did not put Country First in this pick and it really shows his poor judgement.

It amazes me the number of Republican comentators who go on TV and say she is being treated unfairly – SHE IS RUNNING FOR VP and should be able to answer ANY question thrown at her. One commentator today said that he WAS appalled at how condesending Charlie Gibson's and Katie Couric's interviews were – my jaw dropped. They had every right to ask questions – NEVER before in history has a VP candidate been so unavailable to the public. I AM AN OUTRAGED CITIZEN AT WHAT MCCAIN HAS DONE. I CAN ONLY PRAY HE DOES NOT WIN.

September 30, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  12. frank burns

Palin is double talking on abortion, and why doesn't the press call her on it? She always reverts to things like "I would choose life" and "People have different opinions on this." Fine, but what she is espousing when she says these things is simply the idea of choice. No one disagrees. Where one disagrees is when she wants to oppose her opinion on other women, and accuse them of a crime if they have an abortion. Accuse doctors who perform them. Cut federal funding so that, as in the past in the US, and in countries where abortion is still illegal, only rich people have access to them.

September 30, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  13. Joey Michaels

You know, leaders should be above average individuals. This is not to say rich, snooty or elite, but a leader should be a cut above the rest of humanity. That is the quality that causes us to want to follow them.

Part of my issue with McCain is that she is not a cut above regular people like me. In point of fact, I don't want a regular person like myself in a position of authority over me. I've worked for plenty of incompetent "regular guy" bosses and watched uneducated (and incurious) people fail spectacularly in jobs that were way beyond their skill level.

No, while I believe McCain, Obama and Biden have the qualities to be excellent presidents, I wouldn't want to have Palin as the principle of my son's school much less a heartbeat away from the presidency.

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "it's the intelligence, stupid."

September 30, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  14. a heart beat away

high heel, lipstick, and no brains GOOD FOR AMERICA!

September 30, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  15. mama sue

It's funny that Sarah Palin, potentially the first female vp or even president, is referring to herself as "Joe" six-pack.
    Well, maybe not funny...

September 30, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. Joe

Hey, I'm a Joe six-pack American. My name is even Joe.

I got a B- in economics in my couple of years at state college. I went to Korea a couple of times when I was in the military. I had some "trade negotiations" with a few Koreans about the price of the DVD player I bought there. Drove to Tijuana with some friends once. That's about the extent of my foreign policy experience.

Honestly, would you let me anywhere near the White House? Yeah, didn't think so.

Also, most of us Joe six-pack Americans would love to be in a position to even have a 401(k) that can take a $20,000 hit. My 401(k) couldn't pay this woman's heating bill for one winter up there in AK.

Give me a break.

September 30, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. Chris K

God help us all if McCain/Palin win in November. Will Palin ever say anything substantive?

September 30, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  18. paparon59

so she lost 20 grand, big deal, there are some families in this country that would just like to have 20 grand.

September 30, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  19. catmom

I'm sorry but the last thing we need at this time in this country is "Joe six pack" being anywhere near the White House. We have already had a President who some Americans would like to have a beer with and see where this has put us. It is way past time for dumbing down our Presidency/Vice Presidency and our country. We need someone who has more intelligence, more ambition, more curiosity, more worldly to be in that position. I for one don't want an average Joe.
    I also don't believe she is such the average Joe seeing how she is Governor of a state. She has access to more things and people and worth than the average American citizen.

September 30, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. Dave Rupert

It's true, at least to a point. She's not one of them. And I'm starting to think that's a good thing.

September 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  21. Sarah

We have had a Joe six-pack in the white house for the last eight years and look where that has gotten us. We need someone who is smarter than the average American to lead this country!

September 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  22. L.

My family also lost money due to the crisis. But it doesn't mean that neither me nor Sarah Palin can solve the economy crisis.

Pullman Washington State

September 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  23. onion

I come from a blue collar background and I wouldn't want Joe sixpack to govern my country any more than I'd want him/her to sew my arm back on. Give me a president who goes to bed each night with a pile of policy papers and is the smartest man/woman in the room. All this "I'm one of you" stuff is insulting and irrelevant.

September 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  24. Erik (Norway)

Can you see her as President of the United States?

September 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. Jewels

I don't want a "Joe six-pack American" as my vice president. I want someone who actually knows what they're doing, someone who understands foreign policy and speak in coherent sentences.

September 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |