October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Cru

Hahaha, being ABLE to lose $20,000 would be like a dream to me. For Joe-six pack, that's called debt.

September 30, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. John Bailo

This is why elitist Liberals are fighting Palin. She's one of us. A real person.

September 30, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  3. Ron

Average Joe? I doubt the average family even has an extra $20,000 to put in the stock market, let alone losing $20,000 and still smiling.

IMO Obama is an average guy. Not Palin.

September 30, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  4. George

I think she is taking lessons from McCain on becoming a drama queen.

Stop the drama, vote Obama.

September 30, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  5. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

You would need to imbibe a six-pack or three to vote for the McBush Palin ticket!

Like you know! Gosh!!

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. mindy

You go Sarah! You go girl! I am a pro-choice independent and I am rooting for you.

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. Joko

"Joe six pack American"? I prefer Caribou Barbie.

What a bonehead.

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  8. Jon

George Bush was the the President everyone wanted to have a beer with. I'd much rather have someone that knows how to run a country in the White House than a beer drinkin' buddy.

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  9. Robin

Palin is WAY too extreme in her stance to abortion, against abortion even in cases of RAPE and INCEST, and she has the GAUL to say pro-choice is extreme? She is insane!

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  10. Ashley Joy

I don't even have $20,000 to lose.

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  11. barb

...joe six-pack american...right. joe doesn't have $20,000 in his 401k account to lose, doesn't make $40,000 in a couple of months fishing, and doesn't have the monster ego that sarah has. joe and jean are struggling to save anything at all, while trying to keep up with the increased costs of food, gas, untilities, medical and other bills.

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  12. Richard Donaldson-Alves

The polls have not included the huge young base – the base that has demonstrated their preference for the candidate who thinks carefully before charging off blindly – preference for the candidate is honest – preference for the candidate who has a better grasp of what the young element of the population are feeling. That candidate is certainly not our septuagenarian.

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  13. Jeb

What?!

Yes, we need a Joe six pack to serve at the second highest position in the nation.

Will someone please make her go away!

September 30, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. Bruce becker

Joe Six pack? Is this a referendum on whether a beer drinking moose hunter should be the leader of the free world?

I guess that's her best chance. Maybe some beer drinking hunters in Altoona will go for it. I guess if she picks up 1% more voters by getting the beer drinking hunters, she will have done her job, even though she cannot do the real job.

There is a big difference from helping to win an election and running the entire world economy and global approaches to real science, not Biblical interpretations rejected in the 17th century by thinking people.

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  15. NUTTER!!!

This Woman is about a half tea spoon from being NUTS

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  16. isabel colescott

First of all, she's not "Joe six -pack American". Second of all, for her to say she's ticked off people because she's from the outside, I know she's ticked me off because I don't want some backward- thinking person (woman or man) telling me or America what is wrong for America because it's against her religious beliefs. Religion needs to be seperate from government as our founding fathers decreed, and I believe one needs to keep it out of our laws and governing agencies. I want more stem-cell research to cure diseases that we are way behind on from Bush's restrictions, and scientific knowledge and evidence beats any creation theories. Let religious people believe what they want, and let everyone else prosper from the knowledge of research and discovery.

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  17. Jerry

No, we're not used to a "Joe Six-pack" as vice president. We already have a "Joe Twelve Pack" in the White House. I think she's inhaled a bit too much hairspray.

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  18. Dan Rains

I heard the interview, but seriously, the questions that were asked of Governor Palin were lightweight, and really, who cares about whether she was "hurt" by the liberal mocking? This question would not have been asked of a male candidate. Why didn't he ask her more pointed questions regarding issues about the war in Iraq and what her proposal would be with respect to the bailout? Every answer was "John McCain this and John McCain that." All that tells me is that she doesn't know anything. All this "Joe Six Pack" bullcrap is just too stupid for words.

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  19. Kent D

Geez, she's unreal.

Don't we have a "joe six-pack American" as president at the moment? Who's packing a 30% approval rating. We don't need more 'mavericks,' 'cowboys' and "I'm just on of the common people." Do we want more decisions made from the gut?

Heavens forbid that we actually have a leadership team in the presidency that makes wise, rational, debated decisions.

Go Obama.

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  20. Kevin

I can deal with a Joe six-pack type in Congress. VP? Isn't Bush supposed to be the Joe six-pack Prez? Cripes, is losing $20k on the market the qualification these days?

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  21. matt

Joe 6-pack, that's the guy I could never get past in Super Punch-Out

September 30, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  22. Wayne

Palin and McCain are liars and both are misleading the americans.

Therefore, they should not lead this nation.

Obama / Biden 08

September 30, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  23. crossroads

No, we're taken aback by a teleprompter reading ex-pageant queen who has been caught in way too many lies, believes dinosaurs and man roamed the earth together, and is not worldly enough & well read to give any coherent answer to any question w/o spewing forth talking points & circular statements that lead back to the same blind alley that her mind occupies. If this is the most qualified VP they can come up with, it will be an awful long night in America if they win. God help us!

September 30, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  24. jonathan

LOL
    YEAH, MORE SUCKING UP TO THE RED NECKS~

W H A T
    E V E R ~

only a complete masochistic fool would want an unbalanced super idiot in such a position of power in this country.
    The Republicans, evidently, would elect Satan if McCain picked him.

LOL

September 30, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Alicia Aguilar

Please! She is just a politician – & they ALL think they're just like ME! She is NOT like me - she doesn't have a clue what the average American is like - Palin frightens me more than any that have come before her! Give me a break!!!

September 30, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |