October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. LizW

Sarah said "It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency"

Noooooo!
    We've had a "Joe six-pack American" as PRESIDENT for the past 8 years! I don't want another one anywhere near the white house!

September 30, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  2. Pat Montandon

Well, golly, geez, Vladmir lets just sit down here and shoot the breeze. How about a bud light? Did they have cheer leaders when you went to high school? You know, Vladimir, big joke on me, I thought Georgia was in the U S of A until John Mc told me otherwise. Well golly.

September 30, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  3. Kevin

Your headline completely misquotes your own article: "It's time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency..." That means she's representing 'Joe six-pack American,' not calling herself 'Joe six-pack American.'

Another article attempting to sensationalize politics. Go back to school.

September 30, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  4. Phillip Wolfe

Sarah Palin was accurate in describing regular mainsteam United States people. What I've read is there is about 60% who feel like her; lose money, barely get our taxes in on time, send our children to junior college first, hoping to win the next Lotto, we were members of the PTA when it existed, listen to Paul Harvey, and we're are searching for the next Norman Rockwell scene. And Sarah Palin is in that picture...not matter what anyone thinks or reports. And now you know the rest of the story!! Good day!

September 30, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Like, I'm not so smart America

I can see why the McSain camp keeps her from talking in public and in lock down at debate camp. I also see why McCain has to do her talking and explaining for her in interviews.

Wow, just think: President Palin....... Like that scares the hell out of me too.

September 30, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  6. Jennifer, CA

If "Joe-six-pack" is smart and has worked to receive the best possible education to govern our country then I hope he/she gets elected.

Palin's education is sorely lacking and it shows in her shallow responses to Gibson and Couric interview questions

September 30, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  7. Tim Blakley

30 Sept. 2008

Sara:

And Palin wins by a Holy Powered KNOCK OUT !!! Its over– its OVER !!!

GOD is with you Sara Palin.

Tim Blakley

September 30, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  8. beatupfromfeetup

Bottoms UP! Mission accomplished!!!

September 30, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  9. hannah

Sara needs to sit down with Emily Post and a College English Professor!

September 30, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  10. Joe Sixpack

I'd drink Sarah's bath water.

September 30, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. DLP

We're all out of sorts and ticked off about it because Sarah Palin is a moron, and we've already seen this great country get decimated by another moron for the last 8 years.

September 30, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  12. Jane in CA

I think she's a few cans short of a six pack....

September 30, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  13. Julia I. Chapman

Why does the media, CNN, not treat McCain and Palin equal to Obama and Biden? The articles I am reading about each are routed quite differently. Are we voting for individuals who have the strenghts to govern a great nation? The media toys and plays with McCain and Palin and then holds Obama and Biden to the fire. I am confused. This is an election,not a popularity contest. I am proud to be an American, but one who can live without beer, football and racing vehicles. We have all lost more than any dollar could be worth. Please! CNN I thought you had more dignity and clot..

Thank you for your strenghts of the past.

A reader, no more.

Julia I. Chapman/Student

September 30, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  14. J.C.

Wow, where is her six pack belly? All the jogging she does must have worked. I hope Palin will ask Biden some practical questions for an average Joe.

September 30, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. Bruce becker

Palin doesnt have to impress thinking people. Her job is to snag a couple of percent of the white fundamentalists who support Obama.
    Presently "only" 3/4ths (74%) of the white fundamentalists support McCain.
    Her task on Thursday is to move that number up to 4/5ths, something in the 79% to 81% range.

Rove does not care one bit what the brilliant high IQ computer users on this site think or know. He is about constructing a winning margin.

She can do that and still seem like a moron to EVERY rational being, including the conservatives who actually think and write for high brow magazines.
    Her constituents live by faith, not by logic.

September 30, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  16. TruAmerican

Sarah is absolutely right. The liberals just cannot take the fact that a women like you or my wife is a VP candidate. Guess what, they will wake up on November 4th when McCain and Palin are elected to the White House.

September 30, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  17. Jan

PUHLEEZE! We've had the Joe six pack American remember....good old Bush. We truly do not need someone to sit around and have a beer with. We need a strong and reliable leader. Besides Palin, I live in Alaska and I know your game – I say no way, no McCain, no Palin.

September 30, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  18. seriously?

i dont want a 'joe six-pack' as the VP, i want someone QUALIFIED. I wouldn't want my neighbor to be VP or anyone I know, I want someone who actually has the wisdom, experience, and ability.

September 30, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  19. B

as a female myself Sarah Palin is not fit to be president, people wake up if John Mc Cain die today or tomorrow Mrs Palin is not fit to replace him, women wake up and see you don't have to vote for her because she is a woman she is not able to run this country, you think the country is in a mess now wait and you will see if something happen to Mc Cain you have one lady a disaster coming, wake up you all she is not the right lady for VP but yet you all sit back and do nothing, because most of you racist and bigot would rather see her in the white house than to see a black man, then each of you talk about GOD and he is not a racist or bigot he is the creator who loves all people, you people are laughing today but Ms Palin will make you cry tomorrow

September 30, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  20. Jon

God please help us .....NOT HAVE HER AS THE VP....... if she can ask god to make her the Gov, I can ask god to not make her the VP

September 30, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  21. Reba Huckabee

I absolutely can not understand why the media can NOT report factual news , just spin. In order to have a free nation, their are responsibilities. This is the home of the BRAVE and Free. The LIBERAL media and Hollywood must not realize what gave them their freedoms. Why would you want a government controlled socialistic country??? The trashing of Palin is horrific !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't get why you are against honest integrity.

September 30, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  22. Mike H.

I don't ever recall a vice presidential nominee being subjected to the kind of invective that Sarah Palin has faced. Many of the daily postings on this CNN ticker reek with what can only be described as pure hatred. Much of the media, wilth CNN's Jack Caffety among the worst– has been just as bad.

At the same time, Bliden's flaws and misteps have been virtually ignored. How many voters are aware of the serious nature of his lies and plagiarism? This was true both at Harvard ( where he failed a course for exactly that reason) and during his first presidential campaign, when his lies and lifting of lines from other politicians' speeches forced him to withdraw?

September 30, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  23. Deb, Allentown,PA

Golly gee whiz Opie. Could this woman be any more fake? I don't for one second believe this "aw shucks" language we keep hearing from her.

September 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  24. Rockey Mann

What makes Miss Mooseburger so sure every American has money to loose in the stock market in any form? I don't know anyone who has been affected like that. She is nothing like any average American I know. Scary that she thinks she is in touch with America.
    RM

September 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  25. Brenna of Seattle

Oh puu-leaase.

Palin’s salary is $125,000 a year.

$20,000 lost? She gained most of that back through charging the state of Alaska a $17,000 per diem – while she was AT HOME.

Mrs. Palin, you insult the American people by making this statement. You are clearly NOT 'Joe-six pack American'.

September 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |