October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Robert Decell

Palin is not qualified to be vice president. She has a degree in journalism. She is only 44 years old with 5 kids. I can not imagine her as commander in chief. McCain has very poor judgment. What ever happened to family values. Women should be in th home having and raising principled children. The fact that traditional family is broken economically and culturally is the root of the problem. McCain must have his head in the sand. Romney was far more qualified than Palin and would have been a superior choice. He may have been an economic savior.
    I think the market failure is the best thing for this country. I just hope it is the the power seeking freedom and family destroying merchants and elites that fall not the poor innocent citizen.

September 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  2. magdiego

Finally, Palin is right about something – I AM ticked off! I don't WANT Joe "Sixpack" American in the position of the VP. Are you kidding me?!? I want Joe "Mr. Smartypants Policy Wonk" American as VP. I want Joe "Brilliant Statesman" American as VP.

My neighbor is Joe "Six Pack" American. He apparently doesn't own a shirt, starts his six pack at 10:00 am, and runs a golf cart repair business out of his garage, which necessitates him parking his car on what would be his lawn, were he ever to water it. That is NOT VP material, trust me.

September 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  3. Kathy

Go home Sara. You are literally making a fool of yourself. Anyone who votes for this ticket obviously does not love America. Scary!

September 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. ken

So, the stock market fell 5% yesterday, meaning her portfolio was $400k. I bet Joe six-pack is glad to know he's got so much money in the back. What a maroon.

September 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  5. Jamie -- Asheville, NC

Yes, I'm ticked off that a person who has to "cram" on foreign policy and domestic issues will potentially be the next president of the US.

The average "Joe six-pack American" has no business running a country.

September 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  6. Anonymous

No, no one is ticked about someone coming in from the outside, in fact, it's refreshing. People are very upset at the fact that Palin is a political ploy to try and gain voters, and doesn't know foreign policy, basic terms of operations, etc. Every woman I know is extremely offended and scared that she could be President Palin. Could you imagine her sitting down with Putin and telling him she's a "Joe six-pack American, so back off!?" It's an absolute joke! This could be the end...

September 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. McGimmick's gimmick FAILED!

Let's face it, this woman is unfit for the current office she has. She's a beauty queen and red meat for the GOP male base. McGimmick fed them and now he wants their vote.

The question is, how can any self respecting woman allow herself to be some man's trick for his own political ambition.

McGimmick belongs with Bugsy and the other gamblers. Roll high, land low... and folks, Palin is landing low....

September 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Barb, Columbus

Now you're talking Sarah. It's about time they let you be yourself.
    I'm confident you"ll turn the whole election around over the next 30 days.

We love you in Ohio.

September 30, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Matt

Pony up Palin. Put the tax returns on the table or don't talk about your family's finances.

September 30, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  10. Dharma Kelleher

I'm sure Gov. Palin is a nice person. But even as an independent voter, I am not convinced she has what it takes to be VP or President.

I hate to burst her bubble but "average Joe-six pack" didn't lose $20,000 in the stock market.

But even if she were just like me, it doesn't address the real issue. Back when Bush was running for president, they had the slogan that Bush was a guy you could have a beer with. And that's what we got.

What we need isn't a guy we can have a beer with or "Joe six-pack". What we need is someone with the insight and intelligence to run this country. This isn't the PTA. It's the White House.

September 30, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  11. Joel, Honolulu

I don't want an average American in the White House, even in the #2 spot. I want an extraordinary American in the White House!

September 30, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  12. Tami Sky

We've had Joe Six Pack as President for the past 8 years and look where it's got us... Sarah Palin? Thanks, but no thanks!

September 30, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  13. disgruntled voter

Tell it like it is Sarah! Maybe if the politicians had a clue as to where they once came from our country would be in better shape. I would rather have a thousand Sarah Palins than the whole house of Senate and Congress.

September 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  14. Sally from Cali

I can't relate to Sarah Palin. She is from a different world.

She's "Joe" 6-pack implies that she's male and either drinks a six-pack of beer a night or has 6-pack abs. I don't hunt and kill animals for sport.

And I don't want my daughter to use her as a role model. She's no Hillary Clinton. Sorry, but she's not.

September 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  15. Amy

I'm sorry, but our next president should not be a "normal Joe six-pack American." Has Palin seen the movie Idiocracy? That's where our country will be in a few years if we don't start voting for the most qualified and best educated person for the job.

We've had 8 years of "normal Joe six-pack," we can't afford 4 more!

Obama/Biden 08

September 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  16. cabernet sauvignon

Sarah,

If you were a well-informed and intelligent Joe Six-Pack, that would make a world of difference. You are getting flak because you claim to have a competence you just don't have; that judgment is based upon your appallingly ignorant interviews.

You brag about not having blinked when asked to be Veep, but Charles Gibson was correct that your not-blinking was more about hubris than competence.

September 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  17. TheTruthHurts

Folks. This woman is scary. I know she's a down-home gal. I know we pray she has good ole' common sense. She's not scary because she's a bad person. She's not scary only because of her lack of appropriate experience.

She is scary because he has the same brand of uninformed certainty that our current president has. She does and says things that show she is clueless and then doggedly denies what is totally apparent.

On this score, she's worse than McCain. He knows what he doesn't know. He's basically comfortable in his skin. He should be, he's 72. She however, is a SCARY fallback proposition and frankly we still know NOTHING about how she things. What we do know is scary.

September 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  18. Nicholas

FROM HOCKEY MOM TO FEELING THE PEOPLES PAIN. DID SHE MENTION HOWMUCH SHE AND HER HUSBAND MADE LAST YEAR? I THINK SHE IS BETTER IN ALASKA THAN ADMINISTERING THE STRONGEST CONTRY ON THE WORLD. OR MAYBE SHE COULD SEE RUSSIA FROM HER HOUSE.

September 30, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  19. MinFL

We've already had a "normal Joe six-pack American", by the name of George W. Bush.

Look where that's gotten us.

September 30, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  20. Paul Marks

Just when I think the Moosegirl is done with her banal utterances.

September 30, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  21. NB

She doesn't deserve any comments. Go back to Alaska .

September 30, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  22. todd elco

she's a joe six pack joke

September 30, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  23. Does Obama Palin Comparison?

She's awesome! Liberal's despise her, real American's love her...everyone can't get enough of her...

September 30, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  24. CLS in VT

Really??? She's one of us?? How many "Joe Six Pack AMericans" had $20,000 to lose?

September 30, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  25. NC Mom

I like my Joe Six Pack guys...they're super friends and great fun... Don't think they'd be the right guys to run the country at this time though.

September 30, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |