October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Mike Hope

Are you kidding? I don't want "Joe Six-Pack" running the country. The president shouldn't be someone I'd crack open a cold one with. Pull your heads out America.

September 30, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. Ageless

Sarah is right. It's time mediocrity was represented. Go Sarah

September 30, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  3. Jason

Wow. Great... Joe Six Pack. Because God forbid the person to ascend to the leadership of this country be exceptional in any way. No, no, much better they be as ill-educated and ill-informed as the average American.

Since when do we want our politicians to be so average?

September 30, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Rob

What does that even MEAN??!! "Joe six pack American"?? Where does she get this nonsense she spews?! Is that code for ignorant White Trash that has no place being VP? Bless her heart, because she seems nice enough... I don't blame her, I blame that idiot McSame who picked her instead of putting his country first. (I actually kind of like the poor Dear Sara, even though she stands for everything I'm against politically and socially.) She's just out of her element.... BUT ENOUGH ALREADY!!! VOTE OBAMA BIDEN and end the nonsense.

September 30, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  5. bill for barack

She acts like someone who's had a six pack....or two .....or three.

September 30, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  6. LeMonton, currently in Dallas,TX

Sarah "six pack" and John McGamblling, the perfect couple to lead America down the drain.

September 30, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  7. S. Boatman

PALIN . . . YOU ARE A BEER SHORT OF A SIX PACK!

September 30, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  8. Obamanation meets its match

Obamabots love how Sarah talks...
    It fits right in with their own style- insults that are Oh so clever: McWar, I mean McSame, I mean McShame, oh I mean Mc+ any insult.

Look in the mirror if you want to see stupid is as stupid does.

Sarah is making a parody of the Obamanation and its infantile way of expressing itself in the crudest of ways.

September 30, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  9. Mack

Yeah she drank six pack before she did the Gibson and Couric interviews. What a joke she has become, now she wants to appeal to people by saying I don't need to know alot to be VP. I just need to know how to drink a six pack and field dress a MOOSE!!!

September 30, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  10. strong

A "Joe-six pack American?" Never heard that one before, it must be an Alaskan expression.

Seriously, almost all politicians say they're just like rest of us, simple common folk. Yeah, like, sure, whatever.

September 30, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  11. Hitler Youth for Obama

The Obamabots who fill the daily blogs with silly, childish insults can not see that they are guilty of the very stupidity they rail against.

Talk about hypocrisy.

Grow UP.

September 30, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  12. Givemeabreak

Is she kidding? I'm so sick of hearing her and her supporters saying "She's just like them". Well guess what I DON'T want some one in power just like you (or her). Since when has excoriating well educated people, while holding high under educated people (and let's be real even a monkey can get a degree in six years) become the norm? Has America really sunk that low . OH yeah I guess we have.

September 30, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  13. Jean

Joe six-pack American? Does that make any sense? She is such an idiot. I hope people wake up and realize that she is a MORON!!!!

September 30, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  14. Sonia Kermaz

Palin needs to grow up and get some perspective behind those fancy lenses. Having a Joe six pack represent the vice presidency is like having an altar boy as Pope.

September 30, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  15. KC in Hawaii

Dear Gov. Palin,
    Please, for the love of God, stop! Now you are "Joe-Six Pack?" Who do you honestly think you're kidding? The Office of the Vice President is a significant position of leadership, domestically and abroad. I am not threatened by the fact that you are a Washington outsider, I am terrified because you are just not qualified to be the VEEP. Have you ever just stopped to listen to yourself? Honestly? I don't want an average Joe running this country...I'm sorry; there is far too much at stake.

September 30, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  16. suzanne

I do have a problem with a "Joe six-pack" becoming vice president, if by that Gov. Palin means someone like herself with no understanding of the compplex national and international issues of the Executive Branch, economics, foreign policy, health care, education etc that they would need to be familiar with if called upon to be President.

Gov Palin probably does understand what ordinary people do about running a household. But that is certainly not enough.

At the least a vice-president has to be able to articulate their administration's policies. Gov. Palin can't even answer simple interview questions without inadvertently making herself a laughing stock..

September 30, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  17. Jason

Or maybe it has something to do with you being unqualified to be Vice-President of the United States,

September 30, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  18. Biden is still a pauper

Can NOT get closer to main street than Sarah.

Biden brags that HE has NOT saved a penny.

Biden brags that he has nothing put aside for retirement.

I'll take Sarah.

I work and save and make LESS than Biden and his wife. How is he still a pauper?

September 30, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  19. rich

Oh..God..what's next? lol. Palin...please, please, I beg you to run back to Alaska and spare this country the drama. I can't take you no more..really. I'm gonna get a heart attack from laughing if you keep this up. And I want to live at least till Nov 4th.

September 30, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. Proud American

Hey Sarah,
    We Americans don't need another drinking President. We got (six pack) Bush and look where we are today. THANKS BUT NO THANKS SARAH!!

September 30, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  21. MO GOP

Geez...why don't you release your tax returns then. I can say that I lost $50K in the market yesterday. You are not a six pack American, whatever that means. Stop trying to fake your way into the hearts of Americans. It is terrible.

September 30, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  22. Mumbaibabu

There you go girl. Look at what mess is created by all the educated and experienced people on both Wall Street and in congress. It's time we elected someone who has more common sense than education and solid values.
    As far as I am concerned not having Washington experience is a plus in my book for Ms. Palin.

September 30, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  23. Michael, Port Hueneme

Yes, this is exactly what we need more of a "Joe Six-Pack" leading the country as if the last eight years weren't bad enough. I'm sure Palin would like a "Joe Six-Pack" to be her brain surgeon, pilot, nurse or teacher instead of someone who actually applied themselves in college. Yeah, let me know how that works out for you.

September 30, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  24. Proud American

Or should I say Peggy Hill.

September 30, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Folks who ar short one beer of a sixpack should not claim that good 'ol boy status.

September 30, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |