October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Sue, MI

No, I absolutely don't want "Joe six pack" representing me and my country! It's time we got the back to having the best and brightest leading our government. We deserve nothing less!

September 30, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  2. chippyarm

20,000.00? I don't see her. nor her husband, as Joe-Six-Pack Americans. I would be happy if I had 20,000.00 total, never mind losing that much. I'm guessing there are more like me out there.

September 30, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. Kansasboy

Sorry Sarah , but you are nothing like the rest of us. Period.

September 30, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. ABG

I am a Democrat who likes Sarah Palin. I do not agree with her conservative views but I like her down to earth style.

We all know she does not have Washington experience but she is the only candidate managing a state.

If it is OK for someone to run for President with zero experience, then Sarah Palin is OK with me.

Joe Biden has more experience debating but I doubt anyone will be watching the debate to hear what he has to say.

It is all about Sarah Palin!

September 30, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  5. Vegas Barbie for Obama

JOE Biden is far more "Ordinary Joe Six-Pack"/everyday American than Sarah, "give me your moose and kill the pandas" is ever going to be.

September 30, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  6. Fani

We don't need some avg. Joe Schmoe running the country. We need someone intelligent and mature like Obama.
    I see the debate prep talking points are coming out already....

September 30, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  7. Barney

Cowboy, to Maverick, to Joe-six pack

Have we come a long way folks?

September 30, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. Not Buying It!

Every time I see Sarah at rallies etc on television her husband Todd is always there but I never see the baby. It just begs the question, who's taking care of the special needs infant? Is he with her too or back in Alaska with Bristol and her boyfriend? Anyone know?

September 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  9. McCain=the draft

Palin, show us your tax returns NOW!

We have a "Joe six-pack" in the White House now! We don't need more of this mentality!

September 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  10. Lesley

So, besides hunting and fishing and dodging ethics investigations, she drinks beer now too? How very vice presidential. "Geez."

September 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. mn

oh palin

you are just this average governer, jane doe suffering the falls of the market

how believable is that

September 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. Palination

You are not digging what people are going through babe. Not many people get paid allowances to stay at home and not many people get their kids flown to New York at the tax payers expense to attend some random conference....Sorry babe you don't ride on main street!

September 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  13. DarlaVA

It's not someone coming in from the outside, it's someone coming in from the furthest right field which goes against everything that women have fought so hard to gain.

I don't really think Joe SixPack is who I want in charge of the free world. Joe SixPack makes me think of guns, bigotry, misogyny and general distain for anything not christian, white and male.

I like beer, but the stereotype she is pulling here is not as broad as she seems to think it is.

Scary.

September 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  14. fixthebroken

Call me naive, but I don't want "Average-Joe Six-Pack" running my country. I want someone smarter and more intelligent than me, who understands how the world works. Someone who understands all of the parts and how the sum of those parts work together. By Palin's definition, anyone can be Vice-President, and that is absolutely not true.

And let's be honest, many people do not have $20,000 in their 401K in TOTAL, so I am not sure she relates to the average American all that much.

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  15. Brandon

Not buyin' it Daily Scandal Palin. Did you ever fess up to the investigation you and your husband are under for wrongfully firing that Trooper? Oh that's right, you're also Above The Law Palin, too. All I can tell ya from a "Joe Six-Pack" Point of View is that down here in our world, when we break the law, we generally get fined or go to jail. Don't try to act like you're one of us. You clearly don't think the laws apply to you. Dirtiest politician ever. Republicans for Obama right here.

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  16. CityKitty

I think that I am speechless. Sarah Palin is like a horrible cocktail mix of bad American pop culture. If I wanted a normal Joe six-pack American for president I would have asked Roseanne Barr to be the next president. heck, maybe she would sing the National Anthem again and grab her crotch.

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  17. Emily

Oh my gosh she is so right! I personally just want more of the masterful intellectual giant we have had running the country these past 8 years, and I just cannot imagine what it would be like to have a Joe 6-pack in the White House. THAT is why I am not supporting Sarah Palin. Because imagine if we had an enormous ignoramus running the country how would that be?! Gosh she understands me so well. I knew we women all had a common language that would cut past any sort of "thinking."

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  18. Independent Voter

We're not the ones out of sorts. Look at yourself in the mirror!

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  19. Peter (CA)

"out of sorts.....ticked off"??

Joe Biden rides the train home to Delaware each night. He has not profited from being in Congress. He is like us. Governor, you on the other hand, are nothing like us. We do not share your extreme views, we work hard for everything we have, and do not rely on dirty tricks and politics for what we get.

"Hostility from liberals??" Read the news, you have gotten a free ride in comparison to Sen. Obama. That man has dealt with hostility. The more you say, the less sense you make.

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. Kyle

I don't know what Palin's definition of "Joe six-pack" is, but my definition of who "Joe six-pack" is, is someone who can't afford to throw $20,000 into the stock market. And the fact that any politician thinks of themself as Joe six-pack is laughable.

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  21. Change..just the SAME

NEW DRAMA DESTRACTION tactic!!!!!!!!!…….We WANT to see her TAXES, that will let us know everything truthful about her 401K, because she CAN'T expect anyone to believe a WORD out of her mouth.

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  22. mn

do we need an extraordinary leader or an ordinary dame ?

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  23. AJ in Fla

All the luck In the world to you...!!!! you have injected one hell of a monkey wrench into the socialist/liberal/democrat/anarchyst political system and they are all running scare. Please keep the fight

September 30, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  24. Bs

Mrs. Paln's current family crisis (troopergate, pregnant daughter, Todd's indiscretions) is sure to have a psychological impact on the Governor. In addition, her religious views are extremely apocalyptic as well.
    Some of the Republican strike me as angry people e.g. Rudy Guiliani, Tom Delay to name a few. It will depend if America wants to move away from the Rove years.

Hopefully, McCain,72, will retire now.

September 30, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. BC

...so, what's the difference between Sarah Palin and a Pit Bull? – Pit Bulls are pretty easy to train...

September 30, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |