October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. witch

She is not normal. I find her very disturbing. By the way who can afford a six-pack right now?

September 30, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  2. wwf

So, the average American drinks a 6 pack a day. Well, I guess I am not average. I don't drink. I also do not use "like" in a sentence the way teenagers do. Hey average America, she is talking down to you. It is sad that most of you will not get it. Your 6 pack must be like getting in the way.

September 30, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. Greg Turner

She is full of moose stuffing. Is that what she learned in debate camp. Its funny how they can all relate when the polls are down, but when they are up, we are the furthest thing from their minds. Screw them.

September 30, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. Thanks for nothing

No Sarah Sarah, it's not that we're ticked off it's just that you have not represented us well at all so we will have to say

Thanks but no thanks to the Gov. up in Alaska

September 30, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  5. McGimmick's gimmick FAILED!

Let's face it, this woman is unfit for the current office she has. She's a beauty queen and red meat for the GOP male base. McGimmick fed them and now he wants their vote.

The question is, how can any self respecting woman allow herself to be some man's trick for his own political ambition.

McGimmick belongs with Bugsy and the other gamblers. Roll high, land low... and folks, Palin is landing low....

September 30, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  6. D.Kimbro OHIO

LIAR!!!!! LIAR!!!!! Double LIAR.. You are the Gov. of Alaska, how could you possibly understand what ordinary people go through. You and grandpa need a nap.

September 30, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. chuck

To be fair, I think most Americans can name a newspaper or magazine that they read. Palin can't. That's pathetic.

September 30, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  8. Bonnie

Not another "joe six-pack". Don't you think the Joe Six Pack we have in the White House has done enough damage. I'd take a wine-sipping liberal right now rather than have another 4 years of this.

September 30, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  9. RNC IS ATTEMPTING TO STEAL THE ELECTION AGAIN

"It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency,"... (Palin quote in article)

Yep. I worked and educated my tail off to finally vote a beer guzzling slacker into the highest position on the planet...

Close her alma maters... then send her HOME

September 30, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  10. Billy

She just needs to shut up and go away.

Do I really want Joe-Six Pack leading the country during these times?

September 30, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  11. Yeah, right

The reason liberals are hostile to her is because she would be a heartbeat away from the presidency and totally unqualified, a situation not helped by McCancer's age and health. And give me a break, a "Joe six-pack American"? She just thinks that because she comes from a small town and is a hockey mom. Obama and Biden have much more in common with the American people. Eight-house, thirteen-car McCrazy has no idea what life is like for the average American.

September 30, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  12. Beth

Sarah
    Can you please show us your tax returns....looking for some transparency!

September 30, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  13. Robert B.

"Joe six pack" ..... ? We have a "cowboy" running the country now and look where we are!

September 30, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  14. Curt74

Oh now she's Joe?

Obama/Biden 2008

September 30, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  15. Cam

As opposed to Joe Six Pack having been represented in the form of the President for the last eight years........look how great that turned out.

As much as people hate the politicians in Washington, I think Americans should be smart enough to realize that you still need people whose economic experience to handle this crisis is the fact that her family lost money when the stock market went down...

September 30, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  16. Patrick of Albany NY

Why does this qualify her to be VP? I know lots of "Joe six packd"

September 30, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  17. Karl

I'd say she was a six pack short of a case.

September 30, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  18. Oregon for Obama

I wish I had $20,000 to loose on the stock market.

September 30, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  19. marym

America does not need another "Joe six-pack" as a representative. We need intelligent, ARTICULATE, well-educated and well-travelled adults with experience interacting with both national and international leaders. Sarah Palin does not fit this description by any stretch. Sure, we are "out of sorts" and will definitely be "ticked off" should she actually (gasp) ....I just can't even write it. Oh, the nightmare of it all.

September 30, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  20. dustin

i don't want joe six pack being that close to becoming president, i want someone who is smarter than the average person, not someone who makes the average person feel like a genius.

September 30, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  21. Amy

Yes, let's put Joe Six-Pack in the White House. What is this, the Blue Collar Comedy tour? Thanks, Ms. Palin, for undermining what so many parents are trying to instill in their children, to strive to be better, to set higher goals for themselves, to aspire to greater than their parents, to fulfill their potential and then some. Why? Joe Schmo down the street can be President (oh, wait a minute, I think we already have a "C" student in the White House. How's that workin' out for ya, America?). I for one prefer someone who's smarter, better educated, more well-spoken, and dignified than I am. I have no shame in being a soccer mom, but I have enough humility to admit I don't have what it takes to be President.

September 30, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  22. Republican for change

She’s authentic, down to earth, and likeable I’ll give you that, but look into her eyes and see if you can trust her making critical decisions in the white house if ol McGee sees a light tunnel and goes cold. The poor girl can’t even make up her mind on whether she was for or against the bridge to nowhere.

Look into her eyes and ask yourselves if you can trust her to sit in front of Putin and make a critical decision for you.

September 30, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  23. Sydney Boy for Obama/Biden!

"Geez, the rest of America, they're facing the exact same thing..." What, Sarah? Losing $20,000 in the stockmarket?? I don't think many American's would be so blase about losing $200, let alone $20,000.

You could quite possibly be the most moronic human being I've ever come across... and, in this day and age, that's saying alot.

September 30, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  24. Ben

Aw look, she's just like people!

September 30, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  25. eris00005

No, Governor Palin, it's NOT time for "a normal Joe six-pack American" to be represented in the position of vice presidency. You're confusing the necessity of average Americans having a voice in their government with the terrible idea that leadership should be mediocre. What is mediocrity? By definition, it is average. It is normal.

Leadership in government should be extraordinary. Lincoln, the Roosevelts, JFK, MLK Jr., Gandhi, etc. – these were not "Joe six-packs", they were the intellectual elite that your party seems to feel justified in maligning.

I don't think being smart is a bad thing, particularly not for my elected officials. And I despise the rising culture of anti-intellectualism that you are encouraging just to satisfy your own political ambitions.

September 30, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |