October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. beth

Most people don't want a normal joe six pack running the country for us. We want someone qualified, and a wee bit smarter than we are. Can you imagine your next door neighbor in charge of the free world???

September 30, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  2. Bonnie

In fact, she has other similiarities with our current President. When asked by Katie Couric, Palin could not name one magazine, newsletter, etc. she reads to keep up on current events. Not one. For goodness sakes, even if I didn't read any; I could come up with at least one name.

September 30, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Felix

Someone needs to check the validity of this claim. Palin is so secretive with her finances, and has not even released her tax returns. Does this sound familiar (Dick Cheney)!! Give us a break.

September 30, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  4. Don Limoncelli

Ms Palin, how much do you have in the stock market that you lost $20,000? Do you think the average American, after eight years of the economy we have been saddled with, has $20,000 invested anywhere, much less a nest egg so large that it could lose $20,000? Trust me, you are not this week going through what the "rest of America" has been going through for eight years.

September 30, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  5. Ted:Canada

God bless her soul!
    She means well!

Sarah when you go in that booth to vote.
    We know that you are not going to vote for the republicans.

Make the old man feel important. He won't know the difference!
    It will give you a chance to start all over again

Long live Alaska! We can see you here from Canada!

NICE PLACE!

September 30, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  6. Andy - Atlanta, GA

Haha! You're gonna need more than a six-pack once Joe is done with you on Thursday.

September 30, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  7. Cole

I mean, Sarah what are you talking about? The reason we say that you don't understand working families is not because of your life's narrative, it's because of your philosophies, because of your beliefs. We will really be making a HUGE mistake if we elect you and McCain into office. You seem clueless at times, as if you are trying to remember your lines for a play. Please do us a favor and stop trying to be something that you are not. Sit down long enough to learn about what you are tlaking about because in the end we will lose out if you are not ready. I support Obama/Biden, but if you guys win, i want to be comfortable with knowing that if something hapens to McCain, that you will you be clueless on the national stage.

September 30, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. Anna

Maybe that is what bothers me about her. I thought it was the sound of her voice at first but have realized it went far beyond that as time progressed. Give me Hillary any day.............................................

September 30, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. Progressively Moderate

We don't want a Joe Six Pack as VP or President. Our country deserves an intellectual who processes national and international problems at a level greater than our own understanding.

I fully demand that my president be smarter than me, and that has unfortunately NOT been the case for the last eight years.

OBAMA 08!

September 30, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Jeff Bloom

Yes, it is wonderful to Joe six-pack running for vice president (and perhaps president) of the U.S. Unfortunately, Joe-six-pack is completely unqualified to hold those positions, no matter how "everyday" she says she is.

September 30, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Tracy M

Even as an Obama supporter, I have to believe Palin is sandbagging her intelligence...and come debate time she's going to show something more. No one can be this ill prepared for the national poltical scene.... I'm starting to feel embarrased for her.

September 30, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  12. SARAH PALIN IS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE - CLUELESS!

The governor of Alaska received a salary of $112,895.....so how is PAIN-LIN an ordinary gal?

September 30, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  13. Citizen

I don't understand the people that want to elect people that are just like them. It is the height of arrogance, to believe that you are so great that everyone that you vote for should be exactly like you. Palin is a dufus, so what does that say about the people who say that she is just like them?

September 30, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  14. Kiah

Here we go with the average Joe crap. Thanks for officially alinging yourself with George Bush. The guy who you could have a beer with but leaves you at the bar to pay his Wall Street meltdown er...tab.

This woman's not what I want. I've never seen such crap. Vote for me, b/c I'm not qualified and neither are you.

September 30, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  15. mother of three girls

I DON 'T KNOW WHY LOOSER WEMEN WANT TO VOTE FOR SARAH BECAUSE SHE IS RELATED TO THEM NO ABORTION ,BUT ACCEPT TEEN PREGNACY .. WHAT KIND OF MORALES IS THIS ... I AM SORRY THAT MEAN WE ARE TAKING OUR COUNTRY TO 100 YEARS BACK ... SHE DOES NOT EVEN CARE ABOUT HER KIDS EDUCATION , HOW SHE WILL CARE ABOUT MY GRANDAUGHTER EDUCATUION THANKS GOD THAT TWO OF MY KIDS WENT UP TO PHD AND THE THIRD ON ATTENDING NOW # 1 PUBLIC UNIVERSTY .... EVEN MY REPUBLICAN HUSBAND FOR THE FIRST TIME HE HE SAID NO WAY McCain .... OBAMA/BIDEN ... OBAMA /BIDEN 08

September 30, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. Palin is Incompetent and Unfit

You bet I am outraged that his nitwit Palin is the VP candidate. She is definitely an outsider...she is completely clueless on the most basic issues important to ths nation. She can use all the cutesy and moronic phrases she wants. We are not stupid and we KNOW that Pallin is! There is no way any intelligent person is going to put this bimbo near the White House!
    Oh and by the way Palin....you making fun of Biden's age? Your lying teammate McCain is 72 and you weren't even born when he showed up in politics!
    Go back to your backwards state and once again become a nobody. The only thing people will remember about you is what a joke you are and what a stupid and irresponsible choice McCain made in choosing you!

September 30, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  17. White Female Independent Voter in Swing State

Palin doesn't even realize she is a woman?!? What am I not surprised by this? Give me a break.

September 30, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  18. Sam

Ah, that smart politician is coming out again...it won't last (even though I hope it does – she's more fun when she's on her game)

September 30, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  19. Reality

She's a Jo-idiot pack American. Another BUSH but without the brain

September 30, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  20. Tim

The last eight years we've had a “Joe-six pack" President and look at the many messes he has made.

Sarah Palin is simply unqualified to be VP or President. Her troubles are of her own making.

If Palin was honest and simply admitted she had no foreign policy experience, she'd be better off than to spin ridiculous lies that her living next to Russia gives her foreign policy experience.

September 30, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  21. Cynic

yes, that's what it is Sarah. We're all just taken off guard by your wholesome, grounded, everyperson style. NOT!

September 30, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  22. Semere

Sarah Sarah Sarah,

Take time to listen and learn...dont just act. U r far from being qualified....

September 30, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. oh please

people on both sides of the aisle have hostility towards her because of her lack of intellect, understanding of the issues and lack of coherent thought. it has nothing to do with her being "joe 6 pack"

September 30, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. Al S.

I don't want 'Joe Six-Pack' in the White House. I am 'Joe Six-Pack and I work with him, too. I want someone smarter than us in the White House.

September 30, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  25. Paul Dipiano

I imagine she will soon be hyping that she got straight C's in school. I did as well of course, but I don't consider that to be my crowning achievement.

Being average is by definition not something you brag about, of course its not a crime either, but you should never say 'i'm average' as though that makes you better than everyone. Even the most average person will take pride when they accomplish something or demonstrate a quality that they believe is outstanding. What the GOP is doing is not trying to make an appeal to the pride of Americans, they are trying to appeal to our sense of shame that fears that there are people more accomplished than we are, with the rationale that there is no such thing as a more accomplished or qualified person.

September 30, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |