October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. jim

Well, I don't even have $20,000 dollars to loose.

September 30, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. Willy Brown

I'll drink to that!

September 30, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. Gambi

Ms. Joe 6 Pack could actually be a heatbeat away from the Presidency. Can you just see the first State Dinner at the White House when the Budwieser Clydsdales come riding through. (Cindy McCain could probably get 'em there for Palin.) Do you think there could be a burping contest afterward for a little down home appeal?
    What a Super Bowl Commercial that would make!
    Thanks but no thanks.

September 30, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  4. Elephant in PA For OBAMA !!

Well ... as someone who lost $20K Sarah, I would think you would say something more than ,,,,, “I’m thinking, ‘Geez, "

September 30, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  5. JK in WI

The President and Vice President of the United States are arguably the two most powerful jobs in the world. Call me crazy, but I think the President and VP should be people of exceptional abilities. They should be able to understand the problems of average American, but I don't think they should BE an average American. They should be exceptional Americans.

I mean, I've got a journalism degree, but I have no delusions of being the Vice President of the United States. Neither should Gov. Palin.

September 30, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  6. Elizabeth Gilmore

" A Joe Sixpack Average American" as Vice President?

Please. We need someone who is not clueless about national and international issues to be a hearbeat form the Presidency. Sarah Palin admitted last year that she had not stayed informed about the main issues involved in the Iraq war. She show little interest in anything outside of oil drilling in Alaska, backing the large mining interests who threaten to pollute the rivers and streams there, and shooting wolves from aircraft.

She is unqualified, uneducated, and totally unfit for national office and would be a disaster if somehow elected. P.S. I am not a liberal. Voted for Ronald Reagan, and the first Bush.

September 30, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  7. Jim Brinkmeyer

A "normal Joe six-pack American?" Give me a break. For one thing she isn't. For another, the last thing we need a heart's beat away from the presidency is a "Joe six-pack American" with an eighth grader's knowledge of world affairs.

Our country is on the verge of financial meltdown, losing out in global competition, threatened by terrorism. This is no time for amateur hour in the White House.

September 30, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. Susan

You are no Joe six pack American. Fraom what we have been able to discover, you, Gpv. Palin, are the epitome of the old back room deal cigar smoking politician who makes deals under the table and tries to destroy anyone who gets in yourway. We do not like you because we see on a daily basis how unfit you are to be Vice President, much less even Governor of your state. You are a shame to every woman who has worked to make the progress that you are having the benefit of. You Madam are nothing but Karl Rove in womens clothing!

September 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  9. Rob in Denver

All she needed to do is slur her words a bit, and those comments would come across like Joe-12-pack America.

September 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  10. Renee Rosensteel

She is truly a flaming idiot.

September 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  11. Paul Dipiano

Also, just one remark. That someone could claim to be simultaneously a 'normal' 'run of the mill' American and suggest that this makes them a wild renegade outsider, speaks to how deeply alienated Americans consider themselves from our political process. Interestingly, the election of George W. did nothing to calm our insatiable desire for a 'joe six pack' person to run the government. So folks, I too believe in my imagination that if we pulled a homeless fellow off the street and gave him a shower he would govern much better than the current president, but in my heart of hearts I know that that probably wouldn't work out all that well...

September 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  12. Dennis

"Extreme hostility?" Whatever.

I tell you what people don't like is that she doesn't seem to know much about the issues, she distorts her credentials (such as the Bridge to Nowhere), she is still unknown as she won't take many questions from the press, and she distorts her positions.

September 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. Beth

Forgive me, but why on earth would i want "joe six-pack" in office when I can have someone who is much smarter, more experienced and worldly than I? Who is it that thinks we should aim to have the average joe as a potential leader of this country versus someone who worked his hind-end off obtaining a stellar education (one that he paid for through student loans, not silver-spoon funding) and then put it to use serving his country as a voice of the people? I wouldn't want me as president, and I hope like heck that most american's realize that the president is not someone we should aspire to have a beer with, but someone who we revere as being the best representative of the opportunities our country has to offer. i just don't understand that. haven't for the past 8 years, and don't get it now.

September 30, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  14. not joe 'six pack'

Please go back to Alaska before it melts to the size of Rhode Island

September 30, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  15. Meka

It would be great to have a Representative, whom has consideration for the Average American's...PALIN'S NOT THE ONE!

America need's a 'SMART DIPLOMAT' !

September 30, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  16. Maggie

No Sarah,

We don't want someone who considers themselves a "Joe six-pack". What does that mean anyway? We want an intelligent stately VP who can represent us to other intelligent stately keaders all over the world. We want a VP that will be respected by other world leaders. Your behavior during the meeting with the Pakistani President showed me that you're not capable of representing us. All you could say to his very chauvanistic comments about your looks and wanting to hug was "you're so nice". Wrong answer!! How and why can anyone take you serious with a response like that? McCain can't always come to your rescue. With all due respect, if you love our country, you will step down now.

September 30, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  17. TexicoFrom Mexico

She may say she is joe six pack american but when she opens her mouth she sounds like joe white trash uneducated idiot.

September 30, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  18. Rich

Yeah, right. Every six-pack mama out there has enough dollars in their 401k plan to lose a mere $20,000. Oh, Sarah, you're so representative!!

September 30, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. tennisguypitt

I literally fall on the floor and laugh... hard.

I'm near sure people have lost MUCH more than that.

Obama/Biden '08

September 30, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  20. Cathy

Sarah,
    Get over yourself. I'm a regular mom of four. And I've worked all my life too. My opinion is that you are so full of yourself, you can't see beyond your rimles, designer spectacles. You're over confident, cocky, tastelessly sarcastic. The sound of your voice makes nails on a chalk board sound like a symphony.
    From a regular, working mom of four

September 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. Greg, Atlanta

Obviously, she's too dense to realize that it's not just liberals that feel that she is unfit for being the VP. She has little to no understanding of national and international politics and policy and can't even pretend that she has a grasp on things. All she knows is how to insult the Democrats using the lines that her Bush/McCain advisers write for her.

Maybe if she sat on McCain's lap and they made it into a ventriloquist routine, it would at least be entertaining for us.

September 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. Kevin

John and Cindy McCain have to be saying – quietly to themselves – what many other conservatives are saying aloud: "this woman – Sarah Palin – is an idiot." She cracks a joke about Biden's age with the man she wants to be her boss (who is even older) standing right behind her. She says she remembers hearing Biden's speeches when she was in the second grade, but guess what. Speeches weren't on TV until 7 years later. She says you can see Russia from Alaska (as if she knows firsthand as Governor). But guess what. She's never even been to the small village where you can see Russia from Alaska. In fact, most of the residents there don't even know who she is. Embellishment appears to be her trademark.

September 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  23. Jim from CT

Did I read that right?! They lost $20,000 in a week from their 401K?! So they have over $200,000 in a 401K in their 40's with 5 kids?!?!? They have to be one of the wealthiest families in this country if that is the case! Joe 6-pack?! I don't think so.

September 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. Speider

"Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'
    ...which refers to the excess of alcohol over a short period of time, leading to domestic abuse and DUIs. Sounds like Palin!

September 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  25. Amanda

This is the first time I feel I can relate to this woman knowing that she lost stocks too. But at the same time, I still cant bring myself to vote for her due to the fact that our beliefs on other issues are so completely different.

September 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |