October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. New Yorker

She's absolutely right. Ah, elitist in Washington and the media, I have some in my own family, you know, the kind that look down their nose at you because you just aren't in with the "right " clique. That's why we want her elected; she has the wisdom to not get caught up in the snobbery.

September 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. roger, colorado

This woman is an insult to "normal Americans." She and ole Todd must be doing pretty well if they have so much invested in the market that they can lose 20K and keep on going.

September 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  3. You are fit for SLN

"Joe six-pact" what a joke, Palin would not know crisis even if it hit her in the face, comparing FIRST DUDES measly $20 000 loss to people loosing tons of equity on their properties and even loosing their job. You sound like a middle school girl. Her english is that of an elementary school kid. This woman is a joke. Call yourself a christian when you are so unethical. Please hopefully America is not so DUMB TO vote for you. On the other hand we might get a free Comedy show right in the Whitehouse.

September 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  4. Patrice Ruffo

Knowing the relative importance of the United States of America in the world today both financially, politicaly and military speaking, It shocks me profoundly, as a canadian, to hear Sarah Palin's views on what she has to offer americans first, of course, and the world at large, secondly when it comes policies.

The world doesn't need in the VP spot a hockey mom, a Joe-six pack American, or a pitbull that wears lipstick.

These are extraordinary times, many conflicts going on, the economy is fragile, human rights aren't respected everywhere, environmental issues are growing by the numbers, ie, the whole puzzle is complex.

This is not the time for demagogy or funny little simplistic formulas that one would expect from a stand up comic.

These are the times for real leadership.

Being a maverick doesn't imply that you are right. Reaching out to joes may make you popular with a certain base, but will it make you take the right decisions?

Americans and the rest of the world are expecting much more from a vice presidential candidate. Sarah Palin may be a fine human being but she ain't qualified in these extraordinary times.

Patrice, Montréal, Canada

September 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  5. Melissa Petoskey, MI

Joe Six Pack eh? Well my husband is the epitomy of that, and he can see Canada from the shore of Lake Michigan. Maybe he needs to run in 2012 as VP? Give me a break.

September 30, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  6. TN

okay palin, you can be "joe-six pack" but you are still someone whose out of her league... please go back to alaska... remember country first!

September 30, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. Florida Voter

1. Joe-six pack isn't qualified to be President of the US, and neither is she.

2. What is she doing calling herself a dude?

September 30, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. Mary

No Sarah, we are taken aback that John McCain chose someone who actually doesn't know ANYTHING about national issues to be his running mate. This interview shows just how out of touch with American's you truly are. We aren't ticked off at you at all. Wake up and smell the six pack lady. I'm an average American with a very similar background to yours and no way do I want you as my VP. I want someone with knowledge in that office and someone with knowledge and vision in the President's chair.

September 30, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  9. Bama4Obama

No....she's not being criticized for being an outsider- she's being criticized for being a MORON! Go home, Caribou Barbie!

Obama/Biden 08

September 30, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  10. Jim

She lost $20,000 dollars in the stock market?! That's a lot of six-packs.....

September 30, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  11. Sam Jones

Sarah Palin bluntly does not have the intelligence or drive to lead anything, particularly a country going through a complex economic crisis. Neither does "Joe Six-Pack", who, I hope, would agree that they don't want their life savings, retirement plans, house, and children's education put in the hands of someone as ordinary as them. When did it become a crime to want the most exceptional among us to lead? Selflessness is has nothing to do with intelligence – and neither does selfishness. Palin is the worst mix of qualities possible: an averagely intelligent self-interested person motivated by personal gain who is willing to lie in achievement of that end. That's not a criticism – given why she was selected, and after all of her recent statements and interviews, it is a fact that can be proven with hyperlinks.

September 30, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  12. rachel

she does not represent me!!!!

September 30, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  13. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Palin could easily be George Bush's twin if she was just a little smarter since that is almost identical to the way Bush portrayed himself to the public to con them into where he is now.

September 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. MN

Sorry, but "normal Joe six-pack Americans" don't bring in a quarter of a million dollars a year in income or own planes. Most of us didn't have $20K in our 401K's to lose.

However, all of that is beside the point. I know a ton of "regular Americans," and I love them. They include my family, my friends, my coworkers, etc. That being said... I would never recommend any of them run for VP.

I don't want someone "normal" or "average" to run my country. I don't even want someone I can relate to. I want someone much smarter than me, more educated than me (I hold a B.S.), and who is much more serious than me.

September 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. AUC

What a hoot!! Does her mental aircraft ever land or does it just circle the runway????? Scary!

Obama/Biden 08/12

September 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. James Wilson

You go girl. We love you and want you to be the President in 2012. Finally, a bitter American who clings to her guns and religion and has no ties to Bill Ayers, Tony Rezko and Jeremiah Wright. We love Sarah! Hand Joe his man nuts in a paper sack on Thursday.

September 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  17. Georgia

I'm sorry to be frank but Sarah Palin just isn't ready to be VP!!

September 30, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  18. Joe the Troll

She doesn't know what Americans are going through. Many of us don't even HAVE $20,000 to lose.

September 30, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  19. Brian Thompson

A normal Joe six-pack? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Gosh does she mean someone I can have a beer with?

We have already tried that and his name is Bush. We don't need Joe six-pack we need some very smart intelligent people who have experiences beyond the borders of a somewhat isolated world.

The globe has gotten bigger and yes small town values are very important to the fiber of what makes America great, but to navigate us through these times I am not sure Joe six-pack is the answer.

The idea is great, but it did not work to well with Bush, I mean everything is collapsing. Only a Joe six-pack kinda person could restart the cold war...

September 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. JU

the LAST person i want in the oval office is a 'joe six-pack'!

i want someone who is intelligent, educated, articulate, cool-headed and determined to lead this country back in the right direction.

hate to break it to ya, sarah darlin', but that ain't you and the old man....

vote obama/biden!

September 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  21. Palin is foolish

We would love a regular American, but that doesn't mean that you have to be clueless about the issues. When question on the issues such as foreign policy and the economy Palin just fumbles. We need someone that understands these issues and has a method to solving them. McCain may have been able to do it with a responsible VP pick...but Palin does not have what it takes to step in if necessary.

September 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  22. Donna

Yeah, Joe six-pack American. That's who I'd go to for advice and leadership on complex foreign policy and economic issues. Good grief! When did it stop being important to us that a leader was the best and brightest of us, and become more important that they were just like the guy next door?

September 30, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. AJ

give me a break.

Sarah makes 150K per year, and spent 47K in per diem last year alone, sometimes when she was home. Her husband works part time and they refuse to release their financials.
    Only a Republican would think 200K per year is an average family.

September 30, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  24. Kat

What the heck? Joe six pack america? What does that even mean?

September 30, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  25. Limbaugh is my Saviour

No Sarah,its the fact that your NOT smart enough to be President.We tried stupid with a beer and it didnt work.

September 30, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |