October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Unbelievable

Great. We've got a Nascar v-president. God help us

September 30, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  2. winnieviola

You know what? I'm not looking for an insider or an outsider. However, geez and ticked off don't sound like vice presidential vocabulary to me. I'm not asking myself who I'd rather have a beer with either. Thanks, but no thanks, Palin.

September 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  3. Cam

Where is Palin's tax returns? I think now that she made the statement that they don't have much, her tax records should be made available to substantiate that claim....

September 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  4. AA

Oh, how gross this all is.

I have nothing against wholesome folks. I have nothing against old people, we will all get to that age.

I just do not want either of them making high level decisions on the future of the country, they are not capable of doing this correctly because they lack intelligence.

It is great to have 26 yrs of experience. But experience alone does not mean anything. You have to prove that you've made the correct decisions in those 26 yrs, that you've learnt from the past and are able to apply it to the future. McCain has not.

Peace.

September 30, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  5. Alison

She's right. There is so much hostility and hatred from the loving, tolerant, acceptant Left because they are afraid of the political power of this intelligent, charismatic woman who makes good, moral choices in her own life and can set a great example for others. But they wouldn't want that, would they, unless it was some typical leftist (ie: abortion supporter) person that was in their hip pocket.

September 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  6. Jr

McCain is abuse to Palin, she is not qualified! i FEELL sorry about her ..really sad

CNN STOP BLOCK MODERATION ON ME

September 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  7. Cindy

That means they have more than 200,000 in savings/401k.

What average Joe Six Pack has that? I'm sure a lot of people would love to say that they lost 20,000 dollars and can still afford to eat and wear nice clothes.

September 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  8. Joe

Good for you Sarah, but I don't want Joe Six Pack as my Vice President. Joe Six Pack isn't qualified!! I'm a Joe Six Pack!!

September 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  9. C. Darwin

The dodo is still alive!
    Seriously, there doesn't appear to be much wrong with this statement, unlike the blatant lies about fighting the bridge to nowhere and the cronyism and blurring personal feelings and favoritism in hiring high school friends to government positions while attacking those she dislikes personally.
    McCain's not much like Bush - compared to Palin.

September 30, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  10. rob

Joe "six-pack American"? I am not familiar with this term. I do not drink, but I do watch the news. I am normal enough to know that when I watch Sarah during an interview I must ask myself; do I really want this person to run the country? I am a Republican and I feel that I must do what is best for my country and vote for Obama / Biden, because I do not want this person to be the Commander and Chief should something happen to McCain. The man is 72 it is the responsible thing to do... I encourage all Americans Republicans and Democrats alike, ask your-self the question: Am I really doing what is best for the country by voting for this person? Trust me I am a wartime veteran and retired from the Navy. I must put my country first and vote for Obama. He is the smarter man.

September 30, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  11. Northern Ohio

Sorry, the ole "I'm just one of you good ole boys" is not going to cut it.
    You will have to prove yourself with substance and with what I have seen up to now, I don't believe you really have any. Just one liners... I'm a maverick, reform-reform, etc. She as proven she is out of her league. No more catch words, no more Palin. McCain made a huge error in judement on his pick for vice president.

September 30, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  12. Joe

Everyone wanted a beer with Bush and look what we got.

NO THANK YOU PALIN!

September 30, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  13. DB

Would you want a Joe Six-Pack performing heart surgery on you, or would you rather want a qualified surgeon? Palin as VP is presents a threat to homeland security that is greater than any terrorist threat could ever be. Only an idiot would consider her a viable candidate. If the standards for choosing a leader of this country have been so lowered to the point of choosing your neighbor because you can have a beer with him/her, then we're all doomed and I'm obviously living in the wrong country.

September 30, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  14. shayshay

OMG!!! I just can't believe that this is happening. God help America if they fall for this crap.

September 30, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  15. White-African(born there) American Military BRAT

This woman, and I say that loosly, is a DISGRACE to the American People that she claims to be a memeber of.

Don't they realize that the REAL Americans CAN'T STAND the Gutter Politics that the Republicans are known for?

There WILL BE A REVOLUTION............... in November.

BLIND FAITH IN BAD LEADERSHIP IS NOT PATRIOTISM.

September 30, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. Griff

Now another "Joe Six Pack", has alot to do also... I wish you well America!!!

September 30, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  17. gerri

She should dye her hair purple like Marge Simpson,thats who she reminds me of.

September 30, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Hey Joe...

WE HAD 8 YEARS OF THE JOE SIX-PACK CRAP. THIS COUNTRY DON'T NEED A PRESIDENT TO DRINK WITH ANYMORE. WE NEED A PRESIDENT WITH A BRAIN AND A GRASP ABOUT THE ISSUES. PALIN, YOU CAN KEEP THAT GIBBERISH.

September 30, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  19. Lisa

"Joe Six Pack American". What a curious term. I have to disagree with the governor that "liberals" are angry. I think there are alot of Americans, including some in her own party, that are concerned about her as the choice, but I have not seen anger. It seems she's trying to use the sexist card again.

September 30, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  20. Elizabeth in Texas

No! I live in Texas and am a southern girl at heart, but I don't want a "Joe Six-Pack" American (whatever that is REALLY suppose to mean) because that's is exactly what Bush is and I don't want some regular beer drinking, 5 colleges in 6 years American running my country.

I want intelligence, poise, grace, and strength and don't the guy or gal you'd go to a Nascar race with and I am just being honest.

I am a woman who works hard for a small salary, but Palin is an insult to women and I am not voting for that ticket under any circumstances for the good of my country.

-Elizabeth in Texas-

September 30, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  21. michael

Boiling American's down to some common denominator of "joe six-pack" is insulting and disgusting. It paints a perfect view of Palin's dim, sexist, view of a "beer-chortling" America. My best suggestion to McCain is muzzle her....

September 30, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  22. Pepsi

The only think I am upset about is the fact she thinks she is ready to be VP or even P. I feel she thinks more about herself than her children. Even her parents are concerned how her children. She would have plenty of time later when her children are grown to continue with her goals. Life is much to short to have the children being second in her life and if she thinks that isn't going to happen she is terribly wrong on that too. Of course she hasn't been right very much the last couple of weeks anyway. If we truly care about our country we will do the only right thing and send her back to Alaska to be the mother she should be first.

VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN 2008

September 30, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  23. oz

Sarah Palin....Average Red Blooded American...Right.
    Since when has Joe-Six-Pack had the power and influence
    to ignore a supeana from any branch of govornment. I wonder if my next door neighbor has secret powers to instruct citizens to ignore supeanas (Whispering). If your Joe-Six-Pack, do yourself a favor, admit that you look like a complete and total moron when trying to pretend to be one of us especially when choking on your lack foreign policy credentials. Your a Political infant. Let daddy McCain hold your hand for the rest of the fading campaign so you won't continue to get lost during intervies.
    If you were actually to become president when McCain kicks the bucket, you would make our country look as dumb as you sound during those really badly handled interviews.
    We the people are not fooled.......

September 30, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  24. Patrick

Joe Six Pack American should not have its hands on the world's most dangerous nuclear arsenal. Joe Six Pack American doesn't understand the nuances of global foreign relations. Joe Six Pack American shouldn't have the ability to command the world's most highly trained and technologically advanced professional military.

Joe Six Pack American can't name more than one Supreme Court case, yet Joe Six Pack American wants to have the ability to appoint Justices? Joe Six Pack American is a journalism major that can't name a single news source it reads on a daily basis. Joe Six Pack American believes that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth a mere 6,000 years ago.

Joe Six Pack American should go back to Alaska and stay there. After all, we need someone to keep an eye on Siberia.

September 30, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. paul oregon

we have had a so called joe -six packer for the last 8 years look at what thathas gotting america. no mcbush -palin

September 30, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |