October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Roger

a six pack later and I still can't find any tangible evidence of experience that warrants her being on the ticket other than the shock and awe ploy which is losing its wind. Then again, maybe she drinks imported beer and can add that to her paper thin foreign policy experience!

September 30, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. Independent FL voter

Kay Bailey Hutchison
    Sarah Palin
    Tim Pawlenty
    Christine Todd Whitman

Which one of these does not belong? (Hint: It's not Tim Pawlenty ...)

Go back to Alaska, Sarah Six-Pack–if they still want you, that is. In case you haven't read you a paper lately, your approval rating has dropped 14 points (to 68%) since the campaign began–and that's BEFORE the Katie Couric interview.

September 30, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  3. Realist in Denver

All partisan views aside, Republican or Democrat, but "a normal Joe six-pack American ... in the position of vice presidency". WHAT???

I dont want an average person in the White House (President or Vice President). I want someone who knows National and International Politics, I want someone who understands the Economy, I want someone who knows how Government works, etc, etc.

Maybe "a normal Joe six-pack American" is OK for the Governor of Alaska, but I dont think she has any place in the White House. This is not a place for her, she is out of her depth.

September 30, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  4. Freedom Loving Patriot (God fearing too!)

BRILLIANT!

September 30, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. Palin being prostituted by McCain

Hum, no minorities at her meeting. I don' t think Palin has ever touched a minority in her life....well, they probably clean her house since she doesn't.

September 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  6. buckeyebill

Well.........a six pack would explain the incoherent comments made to Katie Curic

September 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  7. Kim

Release your tax records, Caribou Barbie, and then we'll talk.

September 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  8. David Minneapolis

Oh really, do you think all us Joe sixpackers believe that humans walked around with the dinosaurs like on Land of the Lost? I'm from the heartland, the Midwest, you know, moose country, and I can't believe this lady, she's clearly unfit for the position. I am sorry, I'm not running for Vice-President, none of my friends either. We're in a dangerous world in dangerous times and world leaders would make mince meat out of her. Except she'd nuke them first, you now, bring on the rapture, so that all those good rapture believers can rush to Alaska, you know, her home state to await the mother ship. How come no one in the media is making a big deal out of the fact that one of her spiritual mentors is a 'witch hunter' from kenya? check it out on youtube, she credits this guy with her becoming Governor of Alaska. She's not one of us, she's an extremist. She doesn't believe in evolution or science or the separation of church and state. She's nuts, really, i'm not kiddin, freakin nuts.

September 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. no name

See, the thing is, Sarah, I don't WANT an "average Joe six pack" in the running for vice-president. I want someone BETTER than that. Since when have our standards dropped so low?

September 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. Stacy from Loudoun County, VA

Fareed Zakaria on if Sarah Palin is qualified to be Vice President: "No. Gov. Palin has been given a set of talking points by campaign advisers, simple ideological mantras that she repeats and repeats as long as she can. But if forced off those rehearsed lines, what she has to say is often, quite frankly - nonsense. Just listen to her response to Katie Couric's question about the bailout. It's gibberish - an emptying out of catchphrases about economics that have nothing to do with the question or the topic. It's scary to think that this person could be running the country".

September 30, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  11. Erica

Uh, we already had Joe Six Pack (George Bush) as president. It did not turn out well....We need to move away from the idea that the "girl next door" is good enough to be VP or President.

September 30, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  12. HoustonIndie

Are you kidding me? Have a "Joe six-pack" as a Vice President? Palin is right about her BEING a Joe six-pack. But no, the #2 job of running a NATION, its vast array of policies and intricate relations with the world by a Joe-Six-Pack? This shows the utter irresponsible and reckless Palin and her willingness to destroy the country at any cost. We CANNOT have another intellectual vacuum at the highest government level. Please, what happened to the idea of choosing somebody by their qualifications?

September 30, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. FrankSmith

–After Americans (I mean dumb ones) had voted Bush on two occasions, as President,
    –After Bush, the Hero for the Republicans, has waged wars that have and continue to kill Americans,
    –After the economic wows of middle-low income folks under Republican rules for 8 years,
    –After the current economic issues at play because of Republican regulations, the same middle-low income folks are again ready to vote for another Republican-type government!

How low and ignorant can the average American voter ever get?

September 30, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  14. Darryl Arlington

She right she take money from VECO the same company that Senator Ted Stevens took money from but he's on trail? That interesting????

September 30, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Sue in MI

Rachel Maddow said tonight that the Palins have an income close to $500,000 and several homes.
    That hardly makes her Joe six-pack in anything except her speech patterns. We saw what happens when you elect someone of limited intelligence based on the premise that "they're like me." First of all, she is not like us, and second of all, do you really want this woman to have the nuclear (not nucular, Joe 6) button? Think about that!
    And James, you must have missed the tape of Palin's pastor protecting her from witches and praying for her to become Governor. Isn't that against 501C3 rules?

September 30, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  16. Tony in TX

Sorry to break it to you, Caribou Barbie, but those of us with a brain want a little more than average Joe sixpack running the world. Same reason I don't want my local grocery bagger or the guy who fixed my sink on the Republican ticket: they're nice folks but don't belong in the White House.

September 30, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. Michelle

Yeah it takes the average American person 5 years to get 1 degree from 6 different colleges in 3 different states (sounds like a commited person). Save it Sarah. Unlike you most American women got their education with hard work not flirting, showing our legs, or trying to be Miss Popularity! It is funny that you are trying to get support from girls you wouldn't speak to in high school! That is why you still are a part of the Wasilla ELITE SIX! You think that you are better than us. Let me tell you something sister, your butt does STINK, smell it sometimes!

September 30, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. L VA

You are a strong, resilient woman, don't let the naysayers get you down. BHO is corrupt!

September 30, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  19. Shaz

Can someone please make her stop talking? Please?

September 30, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  20. John

Sorry Sarah, I feel your pain. You need to go back to Alaska and keep an eye on Rusia – nitwit!

September 30, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  21. Karl Rove

Since when did we want a "Joe Six Pack" uninformed, inexperienced person to be VP? I definitely want my leaders to be smarter, more experienced than me – my well-being and my family's depend on it. The last 8 years show us what happens when you elect someone you'd like "to have a beer with".

September 30, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. Ryan

James Wilson –

God help us all if someone like you gets your way.

September 30, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  23. James Wilson

just kidding on that past post. Sarah is an idiot. The girl can't even spell Pakistan

September 30, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. Joe

I think she is a little bit of learning how the economy work. But the job she is compiting for is not OJT.

September 30, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  25. Jeffer65

I'd respect her more if she tossed out her scripted comments and speehes, and made more statements like this. I think this is closer to the real Sarah Palin. Now if she would just get rid of that running mate of hers and become more knowledgeable on other issues. Wish I had $20K to lose.

September 30, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |