October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Annie

I also want a "Joe six pack American" doctor, scientist, lawyer, accountant, fireman, and librarian. I just want them to be as average as possible, maybe even a little less than average so I know they understand me. Oh my god. Save this woman from herself.

September 30, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. beartrack

It's been left twice. Post it !

September 30, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  3. arlene, CA

Of coarse she is trying to come across like she really is one of the average Americans, that is one of her goals to fit in & connect. It is just another of McSame's mis judgment in picking her, she is vp to a 72 yr old presidential candidate with a history of melanoma cancer & she's just a heart beat away from being Pres of US. Most Americans have more knowledge about what's going on in our country than Palin does. It shows everytime she is asked any type of question. I don't think she can hide that fact for ever. Obviously McSame is NOT puting country first, picking Palin is puting politics first. She is a new face, but the same old failed policies of McBush. Nothing new here, Obama is the Change We Need. Obama /Biden 08-12

September 30, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. barbara campbell

Do folks want Joe six-pack doing their brain surgery? So they want Joe six-pack piloting their jet in a thunderstorm? How about designing our space station? Our nuclear power plants?

So why would anyone think that Joe six-pack (or Sarah Palin) should be a heartbeat away from the most important position in the world?

These neocons are literally unreal.

September 30, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  5. Gail

I love her spunk, but I would not sleep well knowing that "Joe Six Pack" could be in the position to launch the nukes. I noticed in the TV clip showing Palin practicing for her debate, that they had her podium set up under a big tree that looked like it might fall on her. Does this mean something?

September 30, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  6. Jon151

there has already been a Joe six-pack running the country, and look at were that has led us!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08'

September 30, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  7. phil-texas

No she ain't she doesn't know the meaning of the words joe six pack. She might make a good table dancer at a tailgate party though.

September 30, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  8. Judy from PA

Yes, go Sarah! Please be yourself! We know you can do it.
    Notice I didn't do any name calling in my blog, therefore I am not an Obama supporter.

September 30, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. Olivia

I'm a Joe six-pack american too.
    I understand, I feel, I've lost too. There are many of us out there.
    It's the media attacks on Sarah and her family that drives me nuts.
    It's the Obama worshipping that drives me nuts.
    Rezko, Ayers, Pflager, Wright, Acorn.......they matter, the pattern matters, the truth matters.
    Someone need to tell all those students joining the obama parade to do their homework before casting their votes.
    They have options, something first time voters need to understand.

September 30, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  10. Dennis

I support and will vote for Obama/Biden. But I am really finding myself hoping that Palin will at least redeem herself in the debates. So far, she has appealed to the fears of most White people who would never, ever dream of voting for a Black man. She has presented herself as one of you. I would not want anyone like me near the White House. A lot of White people are in perpetual denial, and no matter what happens, they will see only what they want to see. The White Democrats who have an "unfavorable view" of Black people; the White Repbulicans who probably think the South should have won the Civil War, and last but not least, the Gay and Black Republicans who think they can change the mindset of a Party steeped in seperatism, superioty and fear. Look at how the past 8 years have screwed all of us. And you want more?

September 30, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  11. I can see Russia

Why in Gods name would we want the potential leader of the free world to be a "Joe-six pack American"?

When did we as a society decide that we should be lead by someone who is average?

When did we decide to lower the bar?

September 30, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. Republican side show.

YEP!!!! Thats just who I want to represent my country for the world to laugh at...

Its almost as bad as John McCain suggesting that his wife be in the "woman" contest and parade around with her bare breasts hanging out for all those beer guzzling motorcycle riders to drool over... That should get those old men in Saudi Arabia back on our side... Hey! Maybe the Taliban would even give up and there would be no more war..... The Sarah and Cindy show... All courtesy of John McCain......

Yah. Right!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  13. ERP

Joe six pack? Is that the same as white trash? Running America? This can't possibly br happening. We must be watching a dumb reality show that will soon be cancelled!

September 30, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  14. Bruce L

If I was religious, I'd pray for James Wilson.

September 30, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. grieving parent

She knows what Americans are facing? She understands what the problems are? She thinks the normal American is "Joe Six Pack"? Might I suggest she spend a bit of time reviewing the stats on alcohol related fatalities and injuries?

September 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  16. Penny

As dumb as Sarah is, what is even more amazing is that there are actually people out there with even fewer brain cells.....yes, James Wilson, I mean you.

September 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  17. SALLIEVOTER

So you lost some investment, Praline? Well, why on earth can't you share your financial records until AFTER the debate?

Ashamed of something? Hiding something? Joe has made his public, and surely you must want to be equally transparent?

September 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  18. Kayropro

I don't want Joe 6pack to hold the 2nd highest office in the land. I want him or her to go hunting, fishing, etc. I want a very intelligent, competent and highly educated person to hold that position. Sarah, go home. I'm a professional woman and I know you are way over your head. Your 15 minutes are way over. Got back to your road to nowhere, Troopergate, incomplete thoughts, earmarks, library "issues", and blessings keeping you free from witches. You are the laughing stock of America! BTW James Wilson, go fishing with her, but don't let her influence DC.

September 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  19. MK

Palin is the Gov. of our least populated state, there are more people living in my hown town than her whole state. She could be "joe six pack" (I can find them anywhere, I don't want them in the WH, or even close) but she hardly represents the flavor of an American citizen. The sole reason she was picked, and I hate to be the one to tell her, she is a dimwit that can be taught not to question authority. IF she is the most qaulified GOP woman candidate then I would hate to meet those who didn't make the cut. Set aside all of that and I still come up with this, her voice is annoying, like nails on a chalkboard.

September 30, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  20. Greg Funk

Joe Six Pack does not have $20,000 to lose in the stock market

September 30, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  21. Dee, Kansas

Thank you Cindy, I was thinking the very same thing. Is she serious? And to think she says she understands what average Americans are feeling? Give me a break....most Joe Six Pack Americans don't have an extra $20,000 laying around period, let alone have that much money to lose. She really just doesn't get it.

– Obama-Biden 08

September 30, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  22. Impoverished Voter

This woman will be the ruin of America if elected. Danger.

September 30, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  23. Nick

We've had a six-pack president for the last 8 years. I'll take the smart guy, thanks.

September 30, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. Kev

I, under no circumstances, want a president like me. I want a president who is someone I aspire to be. I'm not a total idiot, but I am unqualified to be president.

That said, I could have answered Couric's questions better than Palin. At the very least, I would like a VP who has some interest in the world around her, has thought about national and global issues and maybe has read a newspaper a few times.

It doesn't seem like too much to ask...

September 30, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  25. Ilene

CNN print this, please, please, please

How in the world would anyone with any iota of common sense want someone who is "average" to be second in command of our Country. If you were in school or at work, would you want the dumbest person becoming the president of the company or CEO of the company or principal of the school? Wasn't 8 years of the town idiot enough for you?

And talking about pastors, don't go there jerk! Palin's pastor is responsible for running a woman out of a town in Africa for being a witch!!!!! Yeah, people let's vote for somone that wants to take us back to the 1600's.

And don't anyone blame the Democrats for this economic mess. If a President decides he wants to make it easier for people to get homes, it doesn't mean a free-for-all. These people got greedy and thought the sun would never set for them...If someone gives you a $10.00 gift certificate, you don't go out and buy a new car with it - you make common sense choices. It was the Republicans that tore down the regulations that were put in place during the Great Depression to keep these economic free-falls from happening.

September 30, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |