October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Robert

I personally think the campaign has shown McCain to be an erratic and very high risk-taking decision maker. Choosing Palin w/o really knowing her (even if she hadn't turned out to be so ridiculous), reflexive pronouncements on Georgia before ANY of us really knew all of the details, this debate gambit, all fit someone who shoots first and asks questions later. As an Independent, this scares me.

Please put our country first and find a new VP!

September 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  2. LCK

So vote McCain Palin and you get someone who is good friends with G Gordon Liddy, a convicted felon, a Senator who exhibited suspect behavior in the last credit melt down (Keating 5) and a VP whose pastor exorcises witches -

Do you suppose she really believes that she is the best person for the job? If she does - that's really scary.

September 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  3. Jim Campbell

It is about time that we get some people like McCain and Palin in charge, people with integrity and honesty. I would rather have a leader that is straight forward, honest and not a Washington puppet. Actually how many people have had experience being the president or vice president before they were elected...NONE, so Sarah Palin you will do fine. I know I will sleep alot better at night knowing John McCain is looking out for our well being rather than that other bunch. Good luck McCain and Palin you have my vote

September 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Steve in Nevada

Smartest guy in the room, eh?

I guarantee you that Jimmy Carter had the highest IQ of anybody elected to anything in the last 100 years...

His presidency went great, didn't it?

LOL

September 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. MD for Obama

TO JAMES WILSON:

You go girl...right back to Alaska!

Bill Ayers, Tony Rezko and Jeremiah Wright are old news.

McCain is no saint (no one is) either so concentrate on your candidate. Your party has enough problems as it is.

September 30, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  6. Charla

You know....I don't want a "Joe six-pack" average American for a VICE PRESIDENT. I want someone who has a stellar education, preferably a law degree from an Ivy league school. I want the person advising the President of the United States to have a full comprehension of foreign policy – not just one that stared at the Russian planes entering Alaskan airspace.

I expect a President and Vice President who is smarter, wiser, more intelligent and better equipped than any ol' "Joe six-Pack." So, yes Gov. Palin I am "ticked off" that John McCain touts "Country First," yet puts someone who is so grossly under qualified for the position that close to becoming a future President.

September 30, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  7. TexicoFrom Mexico

Hey James you idiot she does have ties to Witch Hunters and Speaks with forked tounge! She went to 5 colleges in 5 years and graduated with a c grade average. She has no clue or has kept up with foreign policy at all until she was picked. She has no interest in it.....and now you Republicans are comparing her to Ronald Regan? Well I hate to tell ya but Obama is the next JFK

September 30, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  8. nerakami

the same folks who voted for GW Bush twice still have not learnt a single thing... as they are willing to vote for John McCain (90% of his votes aligned with Bush), and this very incapable and inexperieced woman.

The downside of democracy.... even ignorance has a vote.

September 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  9. Anthony

Re: JAMES WILSON...
    Clings to her guns and religion, huh? You say that like its a good thing.
    None of us want an "average joe six pack" in office(especially one that is "bitter"). We've had one for eight years, and look at our country now. I, as an American, demand far far more from my country's leadership, and refuse to lower my standards to "average". I do not want to feel like I am more intelligent then the person chosen to help make critical decisions that will effect me and my children. I have come to the realisation that so many Americans love Sarah Palin because she is "one of them"... ignorant, idiotic, and clueless.

September 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  10. Anonymous

How in the world would anyone with any iota of common sense want someone who is "average" to be second in command of our Country. If you were in school or at work, would you want the dumbest person becoming the president of the company or CEO of the company or principal of the school? Wasn't 8 years of the town idiot enough for you?

And talking about pastors, don't go there jerk! Palin's pastor is responsible for running a woman out of a town in Africa for being a witch!!!!! Yeah, people let's vote for somone that wants to take us back to the 1600's.

And don't anyone blame the Democrats for this economic mess. If a President decides he wants to make it easier for people to get homes, it doesn't mean a free-for-all. These people got greedy and thought the sun would never set for them...If someone gives you a $10.00 gift certificate, you don't go out and buy a new car with it - you make common sense choices. It was the Republicans that tore down the regulations that were put in place during the Great Depression to keep these economic free-falls from happening.

September 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  11. CNN

Did you quit posting or even looking at my blogs? Or are you just showing favoitism for the McCain/Palin ticket again?

September 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  12. raj

Sarah, thank you for providing comic entertainment for a few weeks when Americans are hurting with the downturn. We will miss you after the elections in November.

September 30, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  13. Rick in Az

I personally would like to have a President and Vice President that are alot smarter than me. She's a "Joe Six Pack American". Well good for her. We have a "Joe Six Pack American", who's just like the rest of us, in the White House right now and that's just working out so wonderful (Sarcasm). "Joe Six Pack" has managed to make us the laughing stock of the world so, I don't believe we need another one.

September 30, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  14. PDXChick

To James Wilson 9/28 10:01p -

Is that all it takes?! Woo hooooo – gather my friends and let's celebrate early! I don't have ties to Ayers, Rezko or Wright either – AND I know more than one Supreme Court case! I'm running for Prez in 2012!!

September 30, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. ginger

Hey six pack joe, somebody forgot to take you to the island in Alaska where you can actually see Russia. I just saw it on CNN. Not only have you NEVER been to little Diamond Island you cannot see Russia from your house.

September 30, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  16. Talitha

James Wilson, don't go away mad, just go away. Maybe you can hook up with Sarah & Little George and read MY PET GOAT. We don;t ask far much in this country, we just want someone with a BRAIN.

September 30, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  17. ask in NY

Does this mean she's got a drinking problem too?
    Well, guess that explains those interviews.

September 30, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  18. npiper

Wow, some scary comments here.....

September 30, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. Anne

I read these comments with total amazement. Just what is the collective IQ of these people who think Sarah Palin is "Great and would make a fine VP or President?" Why are the Conservatives so afraid of a person with education and intellect? Why would you ever want a "Joe Six Pack" as ANYTHING in government? Plu-leaz stop saying Sarah Palin has as much experience as Obama. She may have "experience" though in what I don't know..But she has no brain. She talks like a simpleton!! WAKE UP people. This woman is NOT FIT to be VP or God forbid President Of USA. Think about it!!!

September 30, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  20. FactCheck

> I believe that Palin will make a great VP and if she should run for
    > President, I think that there too she will make a great President.

How about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny? Do you also believe in those? Aren't the words of little children so precious?

September 30, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  21. raj

Sorry. We need real thinking people in politics who are not in the Bush mould. There is no room for Joe-Six packs who can see Mongolia from their backyards.

September 30, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. Republicans= Me First Country Last

Sarah Palin is an insult to the "Joe six-pack American"! All the average Americans I know are capable of speaking in complete, coherent sentences. And most of the average Americans I know wouldn't be stupid enough to run for VP with the same resume as Palin. But, wait, I know far to many average Americans who have a better resume than Palin.

This woman is an insult to women!

September 30, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  23. Jewel79

I can not believe that these people will vote for Palin, she is a idiot. And you think our country will be safe with her as VP, possibly President if McCain kicks it. If McCain/Palin are elected you might as well just bend over and kiss your butt goodbye now.

September 30, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  24. John

"Joe-Six Pack American doesn't have a fing job right now. Shut the hell up, Palin."

Amen.

September 30, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  25. Dave in Florida

After having 8 years of one Joe -six-pack in the White House that wrecked our economy, got us into 2 wars, have our international standing with our ally's at an all-time low.

Now we have an unqualifies politician whose foreign policy credentials is SEEING RUSSIA FROM HER STATE.....You mean to tell me this was the most qualified person to run with McSame.

He could have chosen any numbert of qualifed women candidates from Kay Bailey Hutchinson to Condi Rice. She's barely qualified to run Alaska...she could'nt come up with any other Supreme court decisions other than Roe vs. Wade....5 colleges in 6 years to earn that Journalism degree went to waste. No to Mc-Pain ticket in 08!!!!

September 30, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |