October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Mark

FINALLY,, the real Sarah shows up,,, and this is the person I will vote for Nov 4th,,,,,,

Not some smooth talking lawyer with Muslim connections,,,,

McCain/Palin 08

September 30, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  2. PDXChick

If (not when) Palin becomes great, let us know. In the meantime, my vote if with the candidate who already IS great.

Obama '08-'12!

September 30, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  3. Republicans hate Palin

September 30, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  4. Hillside

"If brains was lard, she couldn't grease a pan."

— Jed Clampett

September 30, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  5. Independent

None of the 'Joe Six-Packs' I know have any money to put into the stock market. Yet her family lost $20,000 in the Wall Street meltdown? Does this make her an elitist-type 'Joe Six Pack'?

September 30, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  6. Hal RR

Ah well, anti-intellectualism has deep historic roots in this country. Guess it should have been obvious that she'd say something like that. But I really don't get this attitude of "after the last 8 years of an idiot in the White House who could at least pretend to understand the issues, wouldn't it be great to have one that can't even mask her ignorance?" Did you LIKE the last 8 years?

Sarah Palin deserves no mercy. She will meet with Biden and say a bunch of nasty things about him, all perfectly scripted and rehearsed, and then he will engage her in an actual discussion on foreign policy. And then it will be over.

September 30, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  7. Dan, SF, CA

Any folks who love Sarah Palin because she is just like them, only need to ask themselves if they are indeed qualified to be President.

September 30, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  8. Jewel79

I can not believe that these people will vote for Palin, she is a idiot. And you think our country will be safe with her as VP, possibly President if McCain kicks it. If McCain/Palin are elected you might as well just bend over and kiss your butt goodbye now.
    I want someone who is smart, cool-headed.

September 30, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  9. Muata

James Wilson! Our country is in this messs because of the policies of Ayers, Rezko and Wright?

September 30, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  10. Brenan

Cindy is absolutely right, except that the figure could be as much as $350,000 that she has in her 401K. Makes you wonder why she won't release her tax returns.

September 30, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. Shirley-Ohio

Fact check the 20,000 loss and by the way where is her taxes so we can see if Todd was paid for being a shadow governor.

September 30, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  12. Chad Cunningham

I can't imagine her as the next VP of the United States. For God's sake, McCain you should tell her to dropout now. If not you are not getting my vote. In the worst case, if something happens to McCain, she will be the President of the USA. The world will laugh at us. Shame on McCain for choosing her as the VP. If she doesn't dropout, I will vote for democrats. God Bless America.

September 30, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  13. Aundre

What about the people who don't have 401K and stocks? She knows how we feel??

September 30, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  14. david

The funny thing is – I would probably vote for Tina Fey at this point.

September 30, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  15. Vegas

Oh, great. Palin just reminded me to return that overdue copy of "Idiocracy" back to Blockbuster and pay my fee. She has proven at every turn that she's not very bright. All I ask is for my politicians to at least come across as somewhat intelligent. If Palin is the new standard for high-level politicians, then we're all in big, big trouble. Wake up people. Get some insight.

September 30, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  16. she's dumber than a door nob

I don't want anyone in the white house who pronounces nuclear as "nucular" anymore. This is enough evidence for me that she's just as if not more dumber than GWB. Can we afford any more stupidity in the white house or remotely close to it?

September 30, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  17. Ohio woman

Palin,
    More you talk more you reveal how little you know. We average American do not want someone like you to be our vp. We want someone much smarter than you to handle 3am call.

If you love this country you would step down now!

September 30, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  18. Canadian grieving for America

How sad for a great country like America. It is clear to any 12 year old that this woman is an insult to females and totally unqualified. It took women so long to get respect, especially after Hillary Clintons showing in the primaries, and to have it dramaticaly erroded by this unqualified joke is sad. It is difficult to respect Republicans when they choose such an unqualified candidate and then look you in the eye and defend such a joke. People are not that stupid, but apparently Republicans believe they are. If they win the entire world is stuck with this joke.

America has lost its place in the world in the past 8 years. The world once looked up to you. Choosing this pair will only continue the present negative view of America.

Canadians are saddened that our brothers and sisters to the South are so lost.

Please America stop this charade. No one who thinks country first could vote for this sad comedy act.

Please bring back the America we know and love, the last 8 years have left Canadians wondering "What has happened to the great USA?

Republicans stop lying to yourselves. In your heart you know she is a joke and no lipstick is going to pretty her up!

September 30, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  19. mary

Boy, what and egotistical and conceited show off. McCain could have done better. Like Mitt Romney or Ron Paul. Does it matter that McCain warned about Fannie, Freddie 2 years ago. What did he do about it? NOTHING! Warning about it and doing nothing about it. YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR SHUT YOUR BIG MOUTH UP.

September 30, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  20. Eugene

Anyone supporting Palin/McCain who had formerly voted for Hillary, had no sense of Sen. Clinton's thoughts or values or convictions and only voted for her gender.

September 30, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  21. joel

Why not Kay Bailey Hutchinson? Or any of the other women in the Senate, or some of the other Republican Senators, or those that ran in the primary's... BECAUSE NOBODY WOULD RUN WITH MCCAIN.

September 30, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. Shawn

Joe-six pack like me? If she calls losing $20,000 in her 401K on a "little bit of savings, she sure as heck is not talking about me!!!!!!!!

I don't have a tanning bed either.

I think I would like to see her tax returns to see just how much she is like joe-six pack!

Debate question........How much does the average household of of 7 make?????

September 30, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  23. Nevada dude

JOE SIX PACK IS GREAT FOR DRIVING A TRUCK OR COACHING LITTLE LEAGUE, BUT FOR RUNNING THE COUNTRY YOU NEED THE BIG BRAINS.

DONT KID YOURSELVES–NOT JUST ANY AMERICAN SHOULD BE PRESIDENT OR VICE-PRESIDENT. THEY NEED TO BE THE BEST AND THE BRIGHTEST.

IS THAT ELITIST? NO, JUST COMMON SENSE.

September 30, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  24. jennah

I think anyone who was a former Hillary supporter who now supports Sarah Palin is a pure idiot who obviously votes on gender not issues. That is just plain stupid. This is not a seat on the student council. If you care at all about Hillary's ideas, her politics, her convictions, her morals–everything that makes Hillary great (and there's a lot), then Obama is your only choice. If the only reason you supported Hillary is she wears a bra, then you're a moron who doesn't deserve the privelege of voting.

I want women to be in positions of power in this great country as much as anyone, but not just any woman...or we all go backward. Just wait until Palin makes a mess of things she is not ready for, then all the dorks who think women can't handle it will have all the ammo they ever need.

Obama/Biden '08

September 30, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  25. Tom, VA

With all due respect, the last thing America needs is "Joe Six-Pack" in the White House.

September 30, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |