October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Louvene

I would hate to know that this is the person that could someday represent our country with foreign leaders. The USA would be the laughing stock of the world. I was going to vote for McCain but when he goofed up so with his choice of a running mate, I started listening to Obama and realized that he is what our country needs.

October 1, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  2. vince

It's the 'American Idol " mindset. Tomorrow you too can be the President. You don't need skill,a brain or any leadership ability. You just need to be good looking even if your DUMB!!!Say a few "cute" things and it does not matter if your CLUELESS!!!
    Don't need real education, just need a good view. Is it any mystery why our once great Country is in the toilet. Go ahead blame immigrants or the minorities. Maybe blame all the liberals. It cant be the ignorance and lake of real education. Go ahead,make fun of france and the rest of Europe. Their kids are light years ahead of ours in basic education. SAD!!!!!

October 1, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  3. The Real Issues

To the blogger who indicates that the presidential candidate is a Muslim and to the so-called Hillary Clinton supporter, the selection of president is extremely important and the candidates should not be slighted. Non-essential issues should not be the main issues. The ECONOMY and the War are the issues and how the person selected will govern and lead.

October 1, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  4. Kim

First off, Obama is NOT a Muslim. But the horrible comments I read on people thinking that and using it as a weapon against him is so sickening.

When was it bad to be Muslim, or Morman, or Jewish, or Christian. Who cares? The basic principles of these religions are the same–Tolerance and "Love".

It is bigots like these people taht give religions and people of religious faith a bad name. You put YOUR religion to shame by your narrow-minded, hated views.

I'm Catholic, by the way. Though it should never matter.

October 1, 2008 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  5. DebM, Allentown, PA

The Rezko, Ayers, Wright stuff has been examined and re-examined and found wanting. There's nothing there, no matter how much you all try to make it appear that there is.

When Obama picked Biden, he did it to solidify his ticket. It was a practical, intelligent pick.

When McCain picked Palin, he gambled that we'd be so overcome with her "newness" that we'd be too stupid to see everything that's wrong with her. She's ill-prepared to be second-in-command of this great country. McCain bet the House, and he lost.

October 1, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  6. The Bu

If she's the "normal Joe six-pack American" then McCain should have selected me as his running mate. Or how about my 12th grade history teacher. She was that too. Get a grip Palin. I'm sure you're a very nice person, but not someone who is fit to be a "heartbeat away" from the Presidency of the United States. I just wish other Americans would look past your dashing good looks and good speeches that you're able to give and see what they would really be getting if your and your old buddy would give them...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

Obama/Biden '08/'12

October 1, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  7. Mark

Honestly, do really want "Joe Six-pack" in the White House? Do we want a religious zealot to negotiate with leaders of other countries? What happens when she is speaking with Muslim leaders and insults their beliefs? That will be the start of a new Holy War. She's already claimed that the Iraq war is "a task from god." Change the word god to allah and she sounds just like the terrorists we're fighting against.

"Joe Six-pack?" Really? I thought the average American was smarter than this... Can you imagine the NASCAR parties held on the White House lawn? It's sad what McCain is willing to put us through just to win an election.

October 1, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  8. Soldiergal

How about we're not used to outsiders with no curiosity about the world around them, and the inability to do much beyond recite talking points that have been stuffed into them? It's no accident that, when Tina Fey spoofed Sarah Palin on SNL this week, all she had to do was QUOTE VERBATIM. Seriously!

October 1, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  9. Palin is plain dumb

She didn't lose anything if she didn't cash it in. The figure she is crying about losing is more than many have in it. Out of touch just like here buddy McCain

October 1, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  10. AJ

Can this broad get any dumber????

October 1, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  11. banderson

Are you kidding me? Joe six pack. I think that Sarah Palin is a good governor for her state of Alaska because that is what she knows, however she doesn't have the appropriate world vision to be one heartbeat away from the presidency of the United States. I am not being bias in my opinion I am simply stating the truth.

October 1, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  12. Paizley

By the way...where are those tax records Palin?

October 1, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  13. Stacy Texas

Maybe she'll release her taxes now.

October 1, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  14. "ALASKA ISN'T A FOREIGN COUNTRY"!

Really? You are certainly an alien life form!

October 1, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. Robert

And I can see Russhhaw from my house!! How did she even get elected Governor of Alaska? It's easy when one knows that Alaska, population 780,000 is the methamphetamine capitol of the world.

October 1, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  16. LORI

what a joke this woman is. where does get her principals. she is so out of touch just like mccsame. she is just a heartbeat away from being president should mccsame drops dead is the what america really wants to happen mccsame used no judgement in choosing her he is angry, grumpy and out of touch wake up america it's about the issues and she knows nothing except, I CAN SEE RUSSIA OUTSIDE MY DOOR, I AM JOE SIX PACK AMERICAN, MOOSE KILLER, PRO LIFE DISGUSTING

October 1, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  17. BJGT

I am outraged and insulted at the cheap political trick from the McCain campaign of putting someone like Palin, who is totally unqualified, to run as VP. As I woman, I might add that she has also done great harm to other women who might aspire to high office with her snickering incoherence and complacent "Know-Nothing" ignorance.

If she uses English in her sentences, she might have a good chance of exceeding expectations Thursday night.

October 1, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  18. Chris from San Antonio

Yeah, we tried voting in "joe six-pack" 8 years ago. Look where that got us.

I'd rather vote for someone how can think critically, thank you.

October 1, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  19. Anonymous

She can't name a news organization where she gets information. She can't name a Supreme Court decision. I have never seen anyone so incurious as to the wider world around her, and that includes Dubya.

She can't answer any questions dealing with life outside Alaska (and even those answers are rambling and pointless) because she has never put a moment's thought into the problems faced by people outside the Palin family.

October 1, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  20. Dutch-VA

Well she can ask her rich running mate for a loan. I'm sure John And Cindy won't mind. They love bailing their friends out of trouble.

October 1, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  21. just me

Please give me a break. If Palin only lose 20,000 in the 401K in the last few days. I hate to tell them that they will be on welfare when they turn 65. Most middle americans lose more than that. Don't give me the Joe 6 Pack crap. Mickey mouse has more common sense than Palin.

Now McSlump is so out of touch he probably thinks he made money.

October 1, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  22. PSK

While we're at it- why don't you insult the American public a little more, Palin. "Joe six-pack American", are you nuts, or just socially inept?
    Your comments showcase an immature way of thinking- which would be fine with me under other circumstances- but this woman clearly is not ready for a job so complex and complicated. Give her a dang six-pack & send her home – McCain, you could not have found a more unsuitable VP choice had you tried.

October 1, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  23. -d

She only lost the money if she sold out... in which she's a fool and just another example of why she should NOT be our president... which if you vote for McCain... there is a chance she'll get that opportunity.

October 1, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  24. Joe Idaho

Joe six pack is alright for the football game in the bar, frog gigging, backyard sports, but to be a heartbeat from being the most powerful person in the world, I dont even think that "Joe six-pack" would be interested, that's how much she doesnt know

October 1, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  25. Kurt

Where is Dan Quayle when you really need him?

At least, he could spell potaaatoo!!!

October 1, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |