October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Abby

Yeah, I dont' want Joe Sixpack running/ruining this country. Let the Harvard Guy fix it. Thank you!

Obama 08

October 1, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  2. Christina

Sample questions from tomorrow's debate.

Senator Biden, what are the geo-political ramifications of the bailout bill?

Governor Palin, what's your favorite shade of lipstick?

Now, while I'm confident that Biden can answer his question and demonstrate a broad world view, and thorough knowledge of the interconnectedness of world economies and governments, I'm not so confident of Palin's response. I envision:

"Oh I like all of them...you know, whatever you put in front of me I'll wear...or you know, if I don't like it, I'll just give it to one of my daughters...because it's about family...values....and...but not Piper, I wouldn't give it to her because she's too young for lipstick...and like I was saying...family values are important that we have...and also, it's about job creation..."

October 1, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  3. Nic

Why should we want someone average to lead us? Shouldn't we desire leaders who are, I don't know, a little better than us? Anyone who sees her "Joe six-pack" appeal as a good reason to vote for her should stick to voting for reality-show contestants.

October 1, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  4. Ron from Baltimore

Oh, I just think they're not used to someone ya know comin' in an' talking health care like they do worry and the jobs how to pay for kids braces; all the reform Sen McCain will bring with me is what they are all excited about, that and the energy I bring who's talking about my old VP rival I'm just sayin' I can find the videos on that and bring 'em to ya.......------........--...............-...-----------------------------

October 1, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  5. Veteran for Obama

What exactly is a Joe six pack? She is like a parrot repeating a list of canned phrases she was given. She talks in riddles and it seems that we keep having to come back and have someone explain what she meant to say. This is no longer funny.

October 1, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  6. SCM DC

Geez, it's more like she HAD a six-pack considering all the nonsense that she's been spewing! Idiot.

Obama/Biden 08
    Vote Common Sense!

October 1, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  7. (CNN) Breaking News!

This just in. We can now report that Sasquatch is alive and well and living in Alaska. The proof has been confirmed. The fact that Sarah Palin was elected to the top of the Alaskan political food chain indicates there are thousands of the species living in quiet and remote villages, throughout Alaska. The manual dexterity and mental acuity of Sasquatch is evident by the fact that thousands of the Sasquatch village dwellers were able to find and pull the voting lever for Palin in the last gubernatorial election!

Stay tuned for further updates!

October 1, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  8. CG

Could she be any more cliched, pandering, vacuous -please fill-in your favorite adjective! Call me anything you want if you are actually a Palin fan but this person is an imbecile and a liar. She is NOT Joe-Six Pack by any stretch and even if she was, I wouldn't want "Joe Six-Pack" as my VP or (gasp) President. Just like the Wizard of Oz, I need a President and VP with brains, a heart, and courage. She is not an example of this. Gotta go with the O in 2008!

'Nuff Said.

9. Greg

Because every Joe-Six-Pack has a tanning bed in their house.

And no, I don't care that she used her own money...no "average" person has a tanning bed in their home regardless of HOW they paid for it.

10. Joseph

If Palin goes into the White House for any other reason than being in a tour group after November 4th, America's transition to an Idiocracy will truly be complete.

This woman is an incurious dolt. Did you hear her answer to Katie Couric on which newpapers she reads? She didn't name 1 national newspaper, I wouldn't be surpised if it is because she couldn't name one.

She obviously had no interest in national or international policy or politics before getting the phone call from John McCain, and this is the woman the right wing-nuts want to elect to power. God help us all.

11. Dutch-VA

@Ken

You're an idiot if you use to be a Clinton supporter and you're now supporting McLame. McSame's views and Hillary's are completely opposite. I guess you are a true to heart republican. Haven't you heard the line, No Way, No How, No McCain, No Palin.

12. Jeff Brown

Go away Sarah...

13. Unbelievable!

I don't want "Joe-six pack" running the country. This gets more and more frightening every day.

14. Kristi

I too was going to vote for McCain until he chose Palin as his runningmate. The total lack of judgement shown in that decision, shows we don't need him in the White House.

Joe six-pack American?? What an insult .. so now we are all 6 pack drinking Americans .. that's what we do? Good grief .. she just continues to show her ignorance. McCain needs to really get rid of her before it is too late, but unfortunately, he won't admit his mistake.

Obama 08, it seems.

15. Steve

She hasn't lost as much as McCain’s Wife. I think I could retire on her 300,000 dress. Of course those elitists obama's shop at Khols and grew up on food stamps. Just because people are smarter then you don’t mean they are elitists

16. alvino

If the economy continues under republicans, I won't be able to afford a six-pack. Nice gimmick though.

17. RA Crouch, Michigan

Six pack of what? Does Palin drink beer or is she just trying to make people think she is common folk? I is this what you say when your running mate is married to a beer heiress? I don't think her fundamentalist religion allows her to drink. Joe? Is she a transsexual? I have also been to Alaska and really believe that Alaskans are out of touch with America as a whole-they need to visit places like LA, Chicago, Miami, Boston, Dallas, Indianapolis, and Cleveland among other great American cities every year.

18. Ken in Dallas

I've met Joe Six-pack, lady (sic), and you're no Joe Six-pack!

19. Right Turn

I bet she doesn't have a brother who lives in a shack on $1 a month!!

Good to see someone who knows what family is all about.

Mac/Palin '08

20. American living in Canada

James Wilson...you can't be serious!!!! I don't want my Pres. or VP to be average....I want my leaders to be smarter than myself and I'm a pretty smart woman!!!

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  21. LB-NJ REPUBLICANS FOR MCCAIN

What's wrong with being an average American, who works, raises a familiy and runs for office? At least Palin is not one of the elitist in Washington. I for one think she's refreshing and will be good for America. It's the American Dream. But what do you guys know about working hard, you are too busy collecting your freebies!!!!

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  22. alvino

If only Lincon and Teddy Roosevelt could see their part now.

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  23. carolflowery

It's quite obvious what you all read, only these blogs

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  24. Amy

Our next president should not be a "normal Joe six-pack American." Has Palin seen the movie Idiocracy? That's where our country will be in a few years if we don't start voting for the most qualified and best educated person for the job.

We've had 8 years of "normal Joe six-pack," we can't afford 4 more!

Obama/Biden 08

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  25. Molly in MPLS

Since she put it out there, has anyone even seen her tax returns? I'm not saying they haven't, I just have heard nothing that would make her "joe six-pack" and frankly, I find the term condescending and offensive. She no more has a clue about foriegn policy or this bail out mess than she does about what the "lower 48" face on their plate. We cannot go into the back woods and shoot our dinner. We are faced with rising prices and lower return on our investment. We aren't sitting on the cusp of the highest office in the land while having no concern for the ramifications our decisions make on our families. Any woman who so willingly threw her pregnant teenage daughter under the bus of pubic opinion cares little about anyone other than her own trajectory.

And McCain? He is an old fool who wants to realize his 20 year dream of the presidency. He may have at one time been a maverick, but quit talking about your stances 2 or more years ago. Since this race started you've been to the right and getting wronger all the time.

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |