October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Greg

And by the way Sarah, a lot of people struggle just to MAKE $20,000 per year. So the fact that you lost that much shows you are not like "average" Americans.

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  2. David

In other words, you're a moron, just like the people who support you.

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  3. john

joe six pack whis woman is a joke joke joke how can anyone vote for this ticket i don't want them running our country on her principals i dont think so. this woman is totally out of it. palin made the comment about biden being in the senate since she was in 2nd grade oh hello mcsame is an old man at 72 he could be her father what a joke this ticket is. wake up america this is very scary and for my kid' s future
    oh my gosh

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. David

I think Sarah Palin is exactly the kind of person the framers of this country had in mind as a citizen-leader. Someone who lives a life, gets involved, makes changes and has real life going on at the same time. She'll step up, serve and do her best, and then give somebody else a turn.

If the Palins have 200K in a 401K, great, that means they've saved that much and not spent it. I could have had that much set aside if I'd wanted to, and I've never brought home more than 40K.

Regarding the media and her statements, I for one am refreshed to hear somebody say real things when they're asked questions. I was wavering between Obama and McCain, but Palin has pushed me firmly over to the red.

October 1, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

Clueless airhead Palin is at it again huh? Can someone tell me who is the "average six-pack Joe" that has $20,000?

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  6. no more hanging chads

Average Joe six-pack American, huh?! Guess beer wins out over being informed by reading all those newspapers, magazines, news webites that she couldn't name for Katie Couric - after being asked three times! And Sarah has a B.A. in journalism?! YIKES!

Anyone see something really, really wrong with that? Or is it just me?

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  7. Jim

I'm ok with a Joe sixpack VP. What I'm NOT ok with is a VP that apparently has never read a newspaper and just repeats meaningless talking points.

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  8. Oh Boy!!!???

So an Archie Bunker or a Peter Griffin is what we need in the white house?

Palin, please!

Most "common" Americans don't have 20,000 dollars of investments, let alone that much to lose.

Where are the tax returns MISS TRANSPARENCY?

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  9. Margerie

Boo hoo, Miss Ping Pong can borrow the money from her daddy McShame.

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  10. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

Isn't this exactly what people said about Bush?

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  11. Ronie Petro

I take offense at Senator Paulin's comment referring to "Joe six-pack American". Is she trying to say that to be average in America a person must drink beer? What image does her statement put into the minds of all who think of average Americans? This is just another example of her inexperience, ignorance and her complete lack of identity as I'm sure this was a memorized term that someone thought would make her seem more connected to the American People. Senator Paulin: go home, it's Moose Season in Alaska!

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  12. TexicoFrom Mexico

Hey morns wake up! This country owes Obama an apology! Palin's church speaks touges and believes in Witch Hunting...book banning? Pretty sad if you ask me. Middile America needs to go to college and get educated! Maybe then they would realize that you need someone better than just "average" of of us running the country!

October 1, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  13. Sharon - NC

I, like James Carville, am absolutely mystified.

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  14. PALIN can I ask you a question? Yes, after the election.

Palin needs to realize it is going to take more than catchy phrases and dazzling one liners to get the majority vote.

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  15. chuckt1169469

Breaking New........Obama has taken Florida in the polls. Yeah I know you republicans dont go by the polls when it doesn't suit you.......but.........
    IT BURNS DON'T IT...ha ha ha ha

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. Ryan, Florida

We already have a 'Joe 6 pack' in the Whitehouse.....
    Look where that got us.

"The one thing I found during the [2006] debates was no matter how knowledgeable her opponents were on the issues, it didn't matter...She has an amazing ability to turn a 45 second answer into a folksy story... she's never been forced to know the issues."
    -Andrew Halcro, Sarah Palin opponent in 2006 Alaska Governors race.

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  17. Insane

Palin has more than 200K in her 401K and that's a bad thing? Actually makes her seem intelligent to me and if that seems rich, you're going to have one rough retirement as she is actually behind the curve in savings if that is all she has

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  18. Purple Nurple

She is a JOKE. I have tried to give her a chance...several actually, but she blew it. Name a suprem court case other the roe vs wade, she could not. Asked about where she gets her news, could not name one national news paper. I done even listening to her at this point. No way will they win. John can't even look Obama in the face like a man, atleast like a man does where I come from.
    And the straw that broke my back, she speaks like, a, like, you know, a 15 year old for heavens sake. Good lord please help this country if she gets anywhere near the the WH!

GO OBAMA BIDEN2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We are almost there my fellow Obamabots!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  19. Tom in Delaware

As a Conservative American, I cannot express my absolute glee in more resolute terms, that this one humble woman from a small town in Alaska so thoroughly upsets, disturbs, confounds, terrorizes and polarizes the Liberal Left like she does.

She's really my hero.

Keep up the good work, Sarah, you're doin' fine.

McCain/Palin '08

October 1, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  20. Ron from Baltimore

I keep wondering, why didn't they just use Sarah Palin on the _scripted_ lecture circuit, instead of throwing her up in the voting public's face like this?

Her acceptance speech was just fine, and I'm sure she was able to put some of her own words and twists in there to make it more real. She could have done this for four, even eight years. The Republicans could have given her increasingly visible and critical jobs as she moved along-whether they were in office or not. How about just running against Sen Stevens???

Why did they do this? What the heck is their game this time? What a waste of national attention, energy, and angst, at a time we need to be working on real issues. McCain, you have screwed up by listening to your own advisers, and have even unleashed them on your VP pick. Or maybe that is the way you really are; maybe you _did not_ listen to your advisers. Twit.

October 1, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  21. The COSMOS and McCain ROCKS!!!

»Sarah Palin=WONDERFUL Lady=Honest Leader=Next US Vice-President. This lovely Lady is MUCH BETTER than that IRRELEVANT man called "Joe BIN or Biden or something??!?!...McCain/Palin,08=OF COURSE.

October 1, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  22. Michael, watching from Canada

Another distraction!

The Republicans are doing anything to get away from the single-most important issue of their lifetimes......

Why don't Americans (including Republicans) ask her what she is going to do help the financial crisis?

October 1, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  23. April Garlow

Gwen Ifll has written a book with Obama as a central character,his name is even part of the title of the book. She is the person that will moderate the debate between Palin and Biden.She is scheduled to release her book at inauguration time–doesn"t it seem like she should recuse herself, otherwise, it seems like her questions will be based on her financial interest in the outcome of the election.I will always feel that a fix was on by the Presidential Campaign Committee.

October 1, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  24. Jak

I notice that a lot of the pro "Joe Six-Pack" that post here are flat out incoherent in their posts. Forget typos or misspellings, just plain old incoherent. Do we want the candidate that is favored by these lowest-common-denominator types to win? I mean, they pander to the least educated people in this country and portray intelligent and educated individuals as elitists. Is this a good thing? This sort of mentality has resulted in two wars (one justified, the other not justified) deep divisions in this country, and a decimated economy. Sorry to those out there that I'm speaking against, but it's because of you that I cannot and will not vote for John McCain. Keep waiving your flags and pointing fingers at the non-lapel pin wearing "muslim". You should all be proud of your ignorance.

October 1, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  25. ANDY DAAS

Sarah I have a message for you thanks but no thanks.

October 1, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |