October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Baze

Oh lord, they've equipped Palin with a bunch of stupid catch phrases.

ONE NATION

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  2. Josh

Why do people want a president just like them? I want a president or VP who is more intelligent than me. They would be leading the free world, not running a PTA. It's too dangerous of a world to ask for anything less than an exceptionally smart individual.

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  3. Garp in Wisconsin

»VOTE with your BRAIN!!»VOTE McCain!!...

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  4. Julie

"Joe Sixpack" knows better, and, due to less money in his pocket, is now down to four.

Sarah Palin makes $250,000 per year, owns two homes, cars and a plane.

Time to "come on down", Sarah and get real.

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  5. Smiley from Conyers, GA

James Wilson – can you actually think for yourself? You sound like a Hannity sound bite. Do your research and gain some knowledge. Hannity is a propaganda spewing hack and you're just the bumbling idiot following him. Form your own opinions and sound bites and just maybe someone might take you seriously.

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. James Bailey

I don't think it makes me an elitist to want someone who has enough education and experience to do the job. I have a four-year college degree with a major in communications and a minor in journalism and I am in no way qualified to be president. Am I elitist for ruling myself out?

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. A FORMER STOCKBROKER

IF YOU HAVEN'T SOLD ANY STOCK, YOU HAVEN'T LOST ANY MONEY! YOUR NET WORTH HAS DECREASED, BUT THAT CHANGES CONSTANTLY!

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  8. Indiana Voter

I actually don't feel bad about having someone on the VP ticket that doesn't have a whole lot of experience. After the Democrats nominated someone for their Presidential ticket that doesn't have any experience, I figured that it was okay to bring in someone who will have to learn on the job. Besides, John McCain would be the President, not Sarah Palin. Obama would actually be the only President, who would have to learn on the job, and have no experience leading anything going in. I think all the hatred towards this woman is simply because she believes in God and is pro-life. This is what liberals do to people who don't agree with them. All you have to do is look at the comments posted here on this blog and it makes my point for me.

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  9. Diane

Does she think she is the only one? One more incident that reflects McCain/Palin are out of touch with the American people. Maybe she can eat the moose she kills or live in one of McCain's 13 houses if her mortgage falls through. GIVE US A BREA!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  10. donna smith

Sarah you have no idea what us Americans are going thru. You lost $20,000 last week. I feel real bad for you. Us Americans are living pay check to paycheck. You and John just dont get it.

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  11. Mccain is a liar

Unfortunatly for Palin and Mccain we Don't want Another Drunk President in the White House! After 8 Years of Bush being Drunk behing the will why would we want another One. Obama Biden the Sober choice in this Election

October 1, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. Shock

You may be a joe six-pack with no common sense. Why pretend that you are smart when you are not. No note cards or paper should be needed when you are speaking.

October 1, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  13. Garp=I Love Sarah Palin.

»I Love Soledad o´Brien!...I Love Suzanne Malveux!...»I LOVE Sarah Palin!...Why?!...Because i have GOOD TASTE!...McCain/Palin=The Presiential DREAM Ticket/Team,of course. Yes.

October 1, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  14. Seattle Voter

Anybody can be a VP regardless of their experience and or their background however, Americans need to think before they vote in Nov. 4. I am a woman but I will not support Sarah Palin just because we don't share the views on abortion, religion and among other things. America is in great financial crisis and we have two wars going on. I don't think she is capable to handle the second HIGHEST POSITION IN THE UNITED STATES EXECUTIVE BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT. She can't even articulate simple answers to her interviews. I was going to vote for McCain but clearly his views does not reflect what America is today. I hope for the sake of our country voters will vote for someone who can again bring trust, respect and restore credibility in the world. I do believe that OBAMA can do that. People around the world have a highest regard to OBAMA compare McCain.

October 1, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  15. Garp

»Sarah Palin=So interesting,so lovely,so smart=Next Vice-President. Yes.

October 1, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  16. constituent

How about her state pension? Is that still secure?

October 1, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  17. Realistic

Idiot in the White House: Been there, done that, and don't have to do it again.

October 1, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  18. donna

this woman is a joke, joke, joke and I am a woman. she talks about joe six pack, she was blessed by witchcraft at the church where they showed a video how come no one talks about how palin and her husband are avoiding court for troopergate palin is getting away with it if it were me or you we would be arrested she talks about stupid stuff, she insults women all over mcsame did this for politcal reasons he has no judgement, he has a bad temper, he shows contempt to obama and others very scary palin go home and take care of your newborn as other mothers would mcsame should drop out of the race

October 1, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  19. cynthia

Sarah Palin is a joke. Total airhead. Its a shame that she is the governor of Alaska. She is downright stupid!!! No other way to say it.
    OBama/Biden08

October 1, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  20. Mk

Didn't we just have "Joe Sixpack" from Texas as our president for 8 years? I don't think one would call that a huge success.

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. Rusty Miller

Fact: Palin is no less experienced than Obama, except for the harsh reality that if Obama is elected, he is not simply a "heart beat away" from the presidency, He WOULD BE, in spite of his lack of executive experience!!!!!

Fact: If voting for McCain is an act of racism (that card is played way, way, too much) and not a matter of voting for someone believed to be the better candidate based on experience and character, then voting for Obama is sexist and done simply because Obama supporters don't want a woman VP. The logic for one is just as ludicrous as the logic for the other. Get over the racist thing already and stand on something more substantial than that.

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  22. SAL

Gosh
    the GOP seems to have a deep obsession with Muslims. It's about all they can talk about on the blogs--why? Avoidance of other issues maybe? Fear of everything? What a bunch of scared fearful people. Are you afraid of WITCHDOCTORS TOO? because that seems to be Praline's faith, (SEE IT ON YOUTUBE-YIKES!!!) and you will be seeing the Kenya dude in the white house is mccain wins. Is that better than any other faith, and what all hockey moms will start to believe?

Take a religion course and get a clue–stop being SO AFRAID OF EVERYTHING.....EXCEPT VOODOO DOLLS IN THE OVAL OFFICE.

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  23. Diane

One more incident that reflects McCain/Palin are out of touch with the everyday American lives. Maybe she can eat moose meat or move into one of McCain's 13 homes should her mortgage fail – from the looks of the past week, she may be looking for a new job. How many people have lost the pensions and cannot retire because of the lack of regulations and/or corporate greed. GIVE US A BREAK!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  24. New Jersey

"Laura" wrote...
    "The only one has brain is Hillary Clinton and you know what, you voted for Obama Mucama, dont be so happy, wait until he gets there with his wife, she is the one will run this country. and you well how will be Hate, Hate, and more HATE."

My Respose...
    "Hi Laura, may have that again, but in English this time? Thank you"!

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  25. Sylvia B

CNN, when are you going to broadcast and report on the connection of the Keating Five and McCain: As the stock market recovers from its biggest single-day drop since the crash of 1987, a former federal regulator who had a front-row view of John McCain's role in the Savings and Loan scandal says he is repeating some of the same mistakes.

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |