October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Michael

I have been watching that the whole team of CNN is absurdly after Palin trying to ridcule her.

Let me say this very clearly:

1. MaCain ticket is going to win.
    2. America is going to have a woman VP – Palin
    3. Palin is definitely going to tackle issues much better than all the old bandicoots – who have ruined this country – particularly guys like OBAMA who just sit in the Senate and do nothing except try to get their own career graph going. Palin is true / honest and for the people – she learns fast and acts fast.

God bless Palin / Macain and America.

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. Mk

James:
    Your lack of intelligence at lease tells us how Bush was able to ruin this country. People like you voted for him twice.

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  3. katie nc

palin is an idiot her interviews are disgusting, stupid she should be running for vp she is unfit

October 1, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  4. MD in GA

Given our current economic situation and no planned exit out of Iraq, we simply can't afford to have a "Joe Six Pack" kinda girl a heart beat away from the Presidency.

This isn't fun and games here. I could care less if I can see myself having a drink with the VP of this country right now.

The current President got elected being a "Joe Six Pack" kinda guy because of two things. He father was a former President of the United States and we were coming out of the 1990's peace and prosperity years. Alot of the American people thought that any old "Joe Six Pack" could manage in that situation. We now know (those of you who voted for GW) were WRONG...

We simply can't afford to have Sarah Palin or John McCain in office at this critical time in our country's history. We need serious leadership and she simply AIN'T the one...

October 1, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  5. Donna

Joe Six Pack means that sheis the everyday person and that is who she represents. People have been wanting change, someone who isn't part of the Washington crowd and when someone like Sarah comes along she is flogged by the media and people who are too stupid to realize what is really going on. You say you want change with Obam? Well if he is elected you will see change like you cannot imagine – And you won't like it.

October 1, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  6. Belle

I am kind of surprised. Edwards, who has an Affair out side of marriage, and tells his wife about it is crucified.

Yet Obama, who has down right lied about his relationships with Ayers, with Rezko, and with Wright is the king of goodness?

He has an extremely narcissistic personality, and his claim to fame in four years will be a legacy of hate. Just read through the posts of his supporters?

Newsflash: Obama is just a man. Why all the infatuation? He has switched virtually every stance he ran on, proving that he stands for nothing and everything. He in essence called himself a blank screen which everyone could project their personal desires on.

Problem with that, many of the adoring supporters will become gravely disappointed to find out Obama isn't different than any other corrupt politician...only more polished.

October 1, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. Accountant Guy

She is a total joke. News flash Palin, the average american does not have $20,000 to invest, yet alone lose. Try again, maybe you need McBush beside you to feed you the correct answers like in your second Katie Couric interview.

Obama/Biden '08

October 1, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  8. MH

Good grief. Wasn't one Joe Six Pack Cowboy from Texas for 8 years enough? Look at the mess we are in .... everywhere!

I'll take the two attorneys to lead my country any day over Gramps and his puppet.

Obama/Biden '08

October 1, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  9. Frankie S

Sarah was not insinuating age into her comment that Joe Biden was giving speeches as a congressman since she was two. It must be fun twisting a persons words to fuel your own agenda but she was just noting that hey, I will be debating a very knowlegable candidate in Joe Biden and if I can stand with this man then I have come a long way baby!

October 1, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  10. Obama, McCain, Biden--all part of the problem

How can we look to Obama, Biden and McCain when they are all part of the problem-

They were all there while this problem was developing and none of them saw it or else they saw it and it wasn't in their personal interest to do anything about it–

Sarah is right–we need a Joe six pack type looking out for us-

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  11. Jerry

I tink its great that Palin will be Veep cuz she is cool & stuff & she dont tink she is someting special just like mme so I hope she & Mcain win.

I WANT A COOL PREZ!!!!!!!

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  12. Joanne Buck

Sarah Palin is the "real deal" and she has raised the neck hairs of some in the Media who apparently are little jealous of a woman as Vice Pres. Palin's records shows one of fighting for the decent, honest and good American.
    Palin has been attacked like I"ve never seen anyone attacked – pretty cowardly in my opinion.
    Where is the talk about Biden – his misstatements about history and facts are running 5-1 against him....to me that shows unfairness and a desire to "run the show in America" by the ABC, NBC and CBS crowd; and that is dangerous for America.
    Bring back Walter Conkright...at least we have Lou Dobbs (who is not always right but is unbiased).
    Joanne Buck
    Minneapolis, Mn

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  13. Cosmos Rocks

»Sarah Palin=So LOVELY!So smart!...Oooh! So Wonderful!...Ooh!

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  14. Maggie

Furthermore, I want someone with common sense in the White House. Palin has NONE.

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  15. Richard

The "extrememe hostility" is nothing more than expecting honesty and competence from a potential president and she hasn't come close on either count.

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  16. gary

why is this story still on the ticker.cnn republican bias

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  17. Don

The amount Palin lost was modest. CNN may try to make it sound like she lost a fortune, but the truth is that she and her husband do not have a fortune.

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  18. Max

Dear Steve in NV,

Jimmy Carter will not be voted the WORST PRESIDENT IN MODERN HISTORY, as George W. Bush will be (the day he leaves office).

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  19. Baze

Geez... Like ya know, like Miss Alaska... like Geez... 5 Years to get a B.S. in journalism.... Like Geez...

Geez, what a joke she is.

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  20. nelsonmobilizesamerica.com

She is clearly not qualified to to run for VP. It has nothing to do that she is governor or AK. Just her comments alone discredit her. There will always be gaffes, but seriously, if this person came into your house and wanted to sell you insurance and answered your questions like that, would you buy from her? If you were looking for a financial planner, and she answered questions like that, would you let her touch your money? The media is not trying to trip her up. They are asking her any question they would ask any politician, male or female. Hillary took the same questions. Palin simply doesn't even know what she it talking about. I am sure she is smart, have good principals and may be closer to the average American, but she is simply not the person for the job. Hit back at this comment, I know someone will, but you need to really step back and take an unbiased look at her. I don't know how to say this, but loosing 20K is a drop in the bucket. She is young and will get it back. My parents retired and have lost money and they don't have time to get it back.

October 1, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  21. Eli

Gov. Palin remembers listening to Senator Biden's speeches when she was in the second grade, yet she could not remember or clearly state anything McCain has done to "reform" Washington in his 26 years in the Senate?!?

October 1, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  22. abc

I don't want Joe Six Pack to be the next president or vice president. I want someone with exceptional intelligence and diplomatic skills.

October 1, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  23. Laurie NJ

To Donna in ID: Palin is not "an everyday person". Unlike full time working mothers like me, she has a job where, for the past 19 months, she has "worked" in her home (and charged Alaskans for it) for nearly twelve months out of that time. I have to show up each and every day at my job. She also has a husband who's home most of the time to care for the kids (my husband also has a full time job where he has to show up each day) and extended family who also take care of the kids (our families are either deceased or out of state). I guess Hillary was right... it DOES take a village. By the way, she also has a net worth from her various businesses that is in the millions (my net worth is my $300,000 townhome and the checking account). Wake up, America. She isn't the "new" anything. She's George W. in drag! (And by the way, I graduated from ONE four year college, as opposed to her attendance at five different colleges to get one lousy degree – which distinguishes us even further).

October 1, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  24. Foreign observer

Her six pack contains only empty bottles. This is not true for the average Joe..... just look at Joe Biden.

October 1, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  25. I for Obamara

It dont matter if she smart or not I still vote for Obamara. I thing and peple know that he will give us money and that is wut we need rite now. Not a butch of peple runnin they mouth

October 1, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |