October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. stephanie

She's right. i don't want joe-sixpack in the vp position. i want the most qualified.

October 1, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. Reality Check richmond virginia

uhhhhhhhh.........whatever...........is she saying Joe Six Pack is incoherent and has a lack of insight and thoughfulness? like her?

oh and no republican has any right to bag on any democrat about crazy preachers. SERIOUSLY.

October 1, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  3. jfs Memhis, Tn

Fact is........Joe 6-pac American is not the same "DUDE" that you are trying to identify with Govenor. "JOE" of today is better read and MORE involved. Frankly, many "JOE" Americans are actually "JO" Americans.Both sexes are EXTREMELY interested in the future of this country..............even more importantly......based on interviews that you have given...........it would appear that most of them are better read than you are Madame Gov.

October 1, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  4. Howard

How curious how those who derided a VERY SMART and EDUCATED and SUCCESSFUL Mitt Romney are stating that we need someone smarter than an average "Joe". Indeed, I want someone smarter than me to be the chief executive officer of the country. I'd also like to have someone with a track record of leadership, lead the country. So, as I make my decision, I'm voting for the Presidential candidate who has the abilty to get things done, John McCain. Here's something else, under democratic leadership in the house and senate in the past two years, are you better off or worse off? I urge all to seriously consider the answer to this question.

October 1, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. C.K.

...that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency? Really, Gov. there is a difference between representing the average American and being an "average American". I don't understand how someone who makes twice the income of the average Alaskan FAMILY feels like she is an average American. This is the same person who made 64K as a mayor of a town with less than 10,000 people and in her second term hired an administrator to DO MOST OF THE DAY TO DAY ACTIVITES of mayor for her. This is a person who spent 312 nights of the year at home as opposed to the govenor's mansion, six hours away from the capital. This is the person who was known for texting on her Blackberry when in meetings with legislators, if she bothered to show up at all. So she's saying the average American makes over 100K a year, and doesn't have to show up to work everyday?

I'll take the guy who sponsored the Violence Against Women Act (which protected women from domestic abuse, and date rape among other things), and made sure to not only go to work everyday, but also make the two hour commute to and from the capital to spend time with his family.

October 1, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  6. BUSH WAS CALLED "JOE SIX PACK"

And how did that work out for you America???

October 1, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  7. S.M

So I guess we're suppose to feel sympathy for Palin just because she lost 20,000?

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  8. Susan in SC

I wish I had $20,000 to loose in the stock market! What kind of account did they have that they lost more than $20,000?

I don't mind that Todd Palin worked hard and saved well, but don't call yourself average when your household income is easily $200,000 + annually, and your housing is provided by the state of Alaska. That's not average.

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  9. amy

OMG, this women is not qualified to lead this country. We have too many problems for this joke of a leader to fill in for VP and God help us all for president. The american people should demand the very best for this country and I am insulted and in disbelief that some think she is capable of this task. John McCain and the whole republican party should ashamed of themselves to even think we could accept a ticket that lacks the qualifications to lead. I can't believe this country's voters are so stupid. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!! Sarah is a joke and if they get in office it won't be funny.

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  10. No Bailout

Joe six Pack ?

She is talking about Joe Biden indirectly....what a sexist comment
    Palin is a sexist !!!

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  11. John, Austin, TX

If I don't understand what you're saying, I want it to be because you're incredibly smart, not incredibly stupid. I don't want my next door neighbor running the country. I want the guys who went to law school, who know law-making, who read a newspaper!!

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  12. Ken in NM

Hockey mom, Joe sickpack.... she is looking for some group besides right wing religious nuts to appeal to. I also agree with other posters here about losing 20K doesn't make you a Joe six pack.

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  13. ncharge

They need to keep her on a Leash..Seriously – this is getting way of hand – this lady should not be talking to anyone and mean anyone. This is so spooky. Can my 10 year run – his IQ is higher than Sarah's?

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  14. Mel in PA

I resent Palin's characterization of "normal" Americans. Nor do I think that Palin in any way represents most of us. Most of us don't have $20,000 to invest, let alone lose. We are lucky if we have a 401K at all!!

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  15. E POP

Do people really and truly understand that she will be sitting a heartbeat away from the presidency, backing up a 72-year-old guy who has a history of cancer?

Nothing drives me nuts more than listening to some of these folks who act as if we shouldn't expect Palin - and Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Joe Biden - to be well-versed on national issues, foreign policy and the social and cultural issues that have to define America.

October 1, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  16. S. Boatman

PALIN . . . YOU ARE A COUPLE BEERS SHORT OF A SIX PACK!

October 1, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  17. Nancy, Boston, MA

Personally, I don't understand what is so great about having a leader "just like us". I know I'm not capable of leading the free world. I fear someone "just like me". I want some one who is better than me. That's why you have leaders. To be greater than the rest. We had a president that was just like us, and he got us into this. I'm ready for someone a little smarter and a lot more pragmatic.

October 1, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  18. Janet - Missouri

When she left her stewardship of Wasilla, Alaska as its mayor, they had a $22 million deficit. I do not want her to be second-in-command of our nation. You think we have financial problems now? Between her record and McCain's 9 houses and 13 cars, they don't know squat about finances or economics. Go have another 6-pack and shoot a moose, Mrs. Palin.

October 1, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  19. JG

Palin's comment are extremely disingenuous. I'm sure she has lost money in the stock market. I'm sure it's troubling to her. I'm sure she believes that she relates to others who have lost money. The difference is that she has no worry whatsoever that she may lose her house, or not be able to pay for gas, or have to choose which bills to pay and which ones to not pay.
    Her unmitigated gall in presuming to *share* some common bond with those of us who actually work for a living , is beyond dishonest. Tell me Sarah Palin: do you lie awake at nite wondering how you're going to pay your bills next month, or tuition for your kids, or how you're going to pay for gas?
    In case nobody has told you....you are not like us. It's insulting when you compare yourself to those of us who actually do something for a living.
    Please. Quit. Now.

October 1, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. RAY IN NJ

It seems that McCain/Palin think it's perfectly fine to just 'steal' Obama's stances and even their sayings and adopt them as their own. Hasn't it been Biden that's laid claim to the "Joe Six Pack" label? It's just too obvious that McCain's campaign is chaotic. Of course the logical thing to do is to look at the most successfully run campaign in the history of America and follow their lead. That, my friends, would be Obama's campaign, by the way. So when "experience" wasn't paid attention to by America, they "adopted" Obama's message of "change". Simply put, McCain/Palin sit back and see what Obama's going to do, criticize him for it and when that doesn't work – say exactly the same thing as if they first came up with the idea(s). Didn't Pat Boone do the same thing with Little Richard's songs during the 50's? Folks didn't want their kids listening to "those people's" music, so they simply "adopted" the same song and put a new face on it. Guess McCain says "if it worked for Pat Boone, it can work for me!"

October 1, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  21. Jack Carlson

We need total honesty for a change folks – Palin has that. Do you want Wallstreet and WA cleaned up, or don't you want a cleaner system? She cleaned up Alaska and took care of the good ole boys who were picking the pockets of the Alaskan residents.
    The Senate has I'm sure many that scored 1600 on the SATS, however have no common sense. They are for "self" only...with exception of a handful.
    Harry Truman was a good Pres and he was as down to earth as there was, in fact he saved America. He also was not popular as there was war at that time as well.......yrs later he became a hero – Americans live in the moment. It is time for Americans to buy only what they can afford as well.
    John McCain saw the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac problem coming and in 2005 and 2007 authored bills to stop the problem we have today....listen to the facts folks !
    Jack Carlson
    Seattle WA

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  22. slurpbear

What does she mean by six pack? Does she say that all Americans are drunk and drink six packs every night? Or is this just a weekend American-thing? I don't drink beer. . .well, maybe a beer here and there, but certainly not a six pack. So since I don't know what a six pack American is and I need to ask.

Is this type of American, that Palin is one of, anything different than a tobacco-chewin' American? Or is this type of American, because I don't know, any different than an American that prefers Pabst Blue Ribbon over Budweiser, even though Budweiser is now owned by a non-American firm?

Or maybe she is saying that the average American has six-pack abs. But she doesn't look like she frequents her in-house gym very often. . .maybe her in-house tanning bed, but not the gym.

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  23. Carrie Pa

What a joke!

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  24. Isaac

She's an insult to Joe-Six Pack Americans everywhere.

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  25. THE TRUTH

I really think, she thinks this race for VP is a joke. She is trying to appeal to the rednecks and she sounds very stupid. That is right, rednecks. Mrs. Palin do not need to be in that VP position because she is not capable of holding her on. This debate will show the world how she is so out of touch with what is going on all around her. McShame should be ashame of himself picking a person like Gov. Palin to be second in command. This country is looking for great leadership in this time of crisis. This is no Joke Gov. Palin! So act as such. Get it together, or resign! That is the bottom line. We don't need 4 more years of dummies running this country again. Vote for Obama and Biden 08'

October 1, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |