October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. As the 'Paign Turns

OMG – so nice you have a 401K that can lose $20K... A good part of America doesn't. When are you releasing your financials?

September 30, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. Steve

Uhhh,Sarah, sweetie? Joe Six-Pack American doesn't have money to put in the stock market, much less lose $20,000. Joe Six-Pack American is just trying to pay the bills. You're just as out of touch with middle America as your running mate. I have to admit, you are the first candidate I've ever heard the word "geez" from, except maybe the candidate for high school pep squad captain.

Sarah, thanks to all that is good and decent in the world, you are about as far from middle America as you can get. You are nasty, sarcastic, and have proved nothing to us out here in the real country except that you can read teleprompters and speeches written by others. The happiest day of my life will be the day I see them pack you on a bus to Alaska...then you can have all the six packs you want... And I'm not a liberal. I'm a Republican who is voting for Obama, because of the abysmal showing of you and your running mate. You two should be ashamed of yourselves.

The other thing you should remember is that "liberals" are 1/2 of this country. They are not "they". They are "we". As in "We Americans". It's a difficult concept for you, but I'm sure, with a little coaching of a week or two, you'll have a vague understanding of "We The People".

September 30, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

What the heck is a "Joe six-pack American"??? (I think it must be something like a George W. Bush) This woman makes no sense whatsoever. No, Sarah, we DON'T need someone like you representing this country. We're already the laughing stock of the entire world because you're a VP nominee! We need someone like Obama, with a solid education, who knows what's going on in the world, and can bring respect and dignity back to this country.

September 30, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  4. Dave

No, Sarah, we don't like the possibility of really stupid people in high office.

September 30, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  5. Six Pack American

I don't have $20,000 to lose, let alone spend on an overpriced six pack.

FAIL.

September 30, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  6. MarioB. from Berlin for OBAMA/BIDEN

she's probably a hoe-six-pack know nothing...
    Sorry, but she's a doofus.
    In 50 hours we'll see her sink down in her debate 😉

September 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  7. Jay

I wish I had $20,000 to lose!!! What about that Palin, can you tell me about hard life, Minimum wage with a baby on the way???

September 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. Liz

I do not why everybody are pickin on Sarah. She looks and sound humanish. Yall are crazy not to vote to her. She is kind and all knowable. It are a bless to people of America – for Sarah to be Prezident. She will change – real change- and rule with values.

September 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. Wendy

I don't want a 'joe six pack', no offense to the real joe six pack.
    I think she is trying to pretend like she understands the rest of us while wearing brand name clothing every day like Cindy McCain.

she only lost $20K, while many of us lost even more in the past few weeks including jobs.

So please don't come here comparing yourself to us the real working people. I don't see my company giving me 3 months off from my regular work to travel around the country campaigning while I continue to get paid. Doesn't she have a regular job that she needs to attend to ? Maybe this goes to show that Alaska can actually thrive on its own without her as the governor.

We need an intelligent people at the white house especially after the last 8 years. Unfortunately Palin is making Bush look like an intellect at this point.

September 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. Joe Regis

America is surprised at palin lack of readiness to potentially become president of the U.S.A.

A lot of people such as myself do not see the potential here at all.
    The repubs are going down in a handbasket this year.

Obama/Biden 08/12.

September 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. anna, New York

If I were sick, I would see a doctor; if I had a tax problem, I would see an accountant; if my car were acting up, I would see a good mechanic; etc. etc., and when I vote for a president,/VP, I would vote for educated, articulate, decisive and tested leaders.....not a "Joe six pack American." Palen doesn't suit the position of VP. She may be a vivacious, beautiful, energetic soccer mom, but those are not the qualifications for this job. The Obama/Biden ticket is my choice.

September 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. Feed UP

This woman just doesn't have a way with words, I feel sorry for her and I cringe when she speaks for fear she is going to make a fool of herself again.......We don't want just a normal Joe six-pack American as a Vice President, we want someone with some common sense, knowledge of Foreign Policy's, it takes more than a Joe six pack american to do this job and possibly the President of this country if McCain can't do his job......

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. yah

Seriously have they given up? It's like they are trying to throw away the election, someone should put a muzzle on that pit bull before she says anything else.

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. Maureen / Newman, California

"Normal Joe Six Pack American"? There is nothing normal about this person. She does not reflect views of mainstream America. Maybe she would have better luck running in Iran. They are big on appointing religious fanatics as their leaders. And look what that has done for them.

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  15. Brandon

No you're a "Joe-nobody", last "Joe-six pack" we had, let us into an economical ditch...
    we need intellectual leaders, so thanks but no thanks.

Obama is the perfect blend of normalcy and intellect, please go back to Alaska now we've has enough of your nonsense Palin!

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  16. Sally

She's an outsider alright. She has NO clue what the average American is going through. How can she? She's not allowed to talk to anyone. No one knows how she stands on anything.
    New Energy? What new energy???
    Palin is a disgrace to all Women.
    Palin, Go home !!
    We don't want you !!

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. Jack Six Pack

Sorry Sarah – your no JOE Six Pack – your just a aggressive lying chick trying to make the big times!

We have seen your kind before weather it's a guy or gal and we don't agree with you, we work for a living not, scam, lie and cheat! The conservative republican party has to be the most corrupt government group to ever represent our people.

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. A Woman In California For Obama:

‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. I ask: why is she so ignorant? She has been to college (as we know) and still can't speak intelligent. Putting that aside, I can't even laugh at skits such as SNL. She ISN'T a laughing matter. If this woman is put in charge we are ALL doomed. She is only "a face in the crowd." I really think she has down syndrome. Her baby is not the one whose sick–(there is hope for him) his mother, however, is. America will you still be laughing this time next year?

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. Kaye- Jacksonville FL

Oh yeah – that's who I want a heartbeat away from McCain's presidency....a normal "joe six pack"....geez, why don't we send Larry the Cable Guy??

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  20. Janine

I honestly don't like or dislike you. I don't agree with your positions like charging victims for rape exams among other things. The top of your ticket is a flat out arrogant liar that won't even let you speak for yourself. You are being used as a puppet and it pains me to watch a woman get treated that way.

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  21. Lyndon

The last thing this country needs is another Joe-six pack anything in the White House. Here's news to you Sarah, most average Joes don't get paid to live in their house, don't get comped for trips to other places and most average Joes know more about foreign policy than you.

Geez, our country is in for a rude awakening if this lady becomes the next VP....

September 30, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  22. Cynthia - Arkansas

I am so sick of hearing about this woman. She is so embarrasing to the country. When SNL can do a skit and bring down the house with laughter, it shouldn't be because they used your own words. The Republicans have a huge problem. They really thought that women were dumb enough to vote for "any woman". Wrong! She only has a few phrases that she's been taught and they are wearing thin. I guess they thought they would try the "Joe 6 pack approach", see how that flys. They use it every election. I think there are probably a lot of people who are rethinking that beer with Bush. They never got it, and now they can't afford it.

September 30, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  23. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

Hold that thought for a minute and let me go get my knee high rubber boots, the bull in here is getting quite deep.

September 30, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  24. Don

So what do the religious right think of "Joe Six Pack"?

She drinks. McCain gambles.

Real family values there.

September 30, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  25. Former Republican for OBAMA

I AM A JOE SIX PACK MYSELF, LADY. I & MOST

AMERICANS HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH YOU.

WE HAVE YET TO FIND A SCALE LOW ENOUGH TO

MEASURE YOUR IQ. MUST ASK MCSENILE TO BORROW HIS.

September 30, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |