October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Six Pack as in Beer?

I thought she was a Christian, what is she doing going around talking about alchohol???? What about the children? Honestly...

September 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  2. Mike

I think that for the sake of humanity, we need to elect Barack.
    We need someone who has the ability to work and relate not only to Americans but to diplomats around the globe. In my opinion, every American's intelligence has been insutled by the Republicans by choosing Sarah Palin as the VP candidate. Sarah Palin, in my opinion, is not qualified. I can see her coaching a soccer team but not running the Great United States of America. Please American's do what is going to bring us back to being a top notch great country again and elect Barack and Biden.

September 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Scott

Normal? Is unintelligent the new normal? This is pathetic, this woman is so out of her league its insane. Since when is Alaska the bellweather for the rest of the U.S.? The state has the highest high school dropout rate, lowest college enrollments, highest rape rates, high alcoholism and drug use, and lowest diversity. How does Sarah Know-Nothing and Alaska represent the rest of the U.S.? I am not hostile toward her because I am "liberal" I am hostile because she lies and has been caught in lies, she is unqualified, she won't speak with media which is something every official needs to do, she is not a reformer, and in no way does she represent me and many of the people I know. Wake up America.

September 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. David Peter

Hahahahah NO. You are NOT one of us, you no-nothing sellout!

September 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I'd like someone more intelligent than the average Joe to be leading the largest superpower of the world.

September 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. Lenny

What in the world is a Joe Six Pack American? I don't think I am one of those! Where does she come up with these things???

September 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  7. Eric in New Castle

Sarah Palin sould step down and go back to Alaska. She should go to that island from which you can see Russia. The island she has never been to. The island where the people have never heard of her. To visit the Mayor that has never spoken to her.

September 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. Palin is Bush with Lipstick

I don't want normal people for president or vice president. I want exceptional people. I expect them to be better than me. Is that too much to ask? Everyone on the ticket is elite in some way. Obama and McCain are elite because they're Senators, but Obama comes from a non-elite background while McCain was the son of an Admiral who got him into Annapolis.

Sarah Palin is an elite by virtue of being one of 50 governors, but she is not an exceptional person. She left Wasilla in debt even while hiring a city administrator to do most of the work for her. She lobbied to get a position on the Oil & Natural Gas Commission, found out the job required real work, then resigned saying the position was a waste of government spending. That's not a maverick, that's just lazy.

September 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  9. Canadian point of view

She's from the "outside" alright. How come we don't hear about her husbands involvement in an organization for the separation of Alaska from the U.S.
    She also has a big mouth for someone who just came on the scene. Her insults aren't about policy but are personal. She came out swinging at the convention. Then she has the nerve to cry foul when she is questioned and made fun of. All the candidates have gone through this for months and months. Why shouldn't she. She was one to insult Hilary about the very same thing. She called it whining. The public has every right to know what she is about. Not allowing that goes against democracy. There are only 34 days to make a decision. That is what Liberals are "ticked off " about. They are concerned that a radical right wing boldface liar could possibly become the president of the United States. As a Canadian, that concerns me. What affects you guys affects us too. After all we are all in this world together.

September 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  10. al in tennessee

Everybody wants to identify with "Regular Joe American' when it comes to the election. Nobody wants to walk in "Joe's shoes" when it comes to making ends meet.

Identifying with Joe or saying you are from the outside is not a qualification for any position. Give some of the voters credit for judging canidates on their positions on the issues.

Gov Palin - your lost.

September 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. Chris F.

Once again she is only answering question is the safe haven of the conservative talk show arena. She is still clueless and has no clue about how people in the "real world" live. McCain had a long list of other female candidates he can chose from with more experience and intelligence.

September 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  12. a real Alaskan

You have got to be kidding me. This is who McCain picked? I can't wait for the debates. I'd love to hear some more about Putin invading Alaska.

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  13. Ina

no no no i want a VP thats smarter than me. not you Palin

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  14. Florida Gold

I just got say that the best think Sarha Palin can do for her republican party is to take the vice-president Cheney to Alaska and teach him how to be a better shooter.

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  15. Mark H

The Vice-Presidency is not an "normal" job to say the least. It's that "Gotta-be-ready-to-step-into-the-Presidency" bullet point in the job description that I keep thinking about. If believing that the normal joe six pack is not qualified for the Vice-Presidency and therefore that Sarah Palin is not qualified for the 2nd highest office in the land makes me a bad person with "extreme hostility," I'm willing to take the hit.

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  16. ryan

A normal Joe Six-Pack doesn't even have 20k in the stock market. A normal joe six pack is living paycheck to paycheck, using their credit card to fill their gas tank. This woman has nothing in common with the common person. She lived a sheltered and pampered life tucked away in Alaska.

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  17. Rafael Solis

¡Sahara....Palin.

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  18. JBP

Joe six-pack American is not qualified to be President. I want my President to be educated – so I can relax knowing she/he is smarter than I am. I don't want to worry because I'm smarter than the leader of the country.

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. RT

Don't be fooled again America! This is the exact same picture the Republicans tried to paint the first time "W" was elected. He was the guy the average American felt they could, "Have a beer with" and look where that got us. I'm also getting sick of the Republicans trying to politicize the whole market crisis. "Ooo ya, I lost money too, so I'm expurienced on how the average Amerikin feels."

September 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. walter

she's right! we don't need any more of them book-smart intellectual's like bush in office.

mccain/palin '08!

September 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Georgia Voter

What is she talking about? It's not about her being an average or normal American. I welcome an average American who is prepared for the job. I don't just want someone because they're from outside Washington, which is about the only qualification that she's argued that has stood up for her.

September 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. Independent for Obama-Biden

You got be kidding me. "Joe six-pack". You are certifiable madame. I had some respect for you and even felt sorry for all the negativity. But now, don't take people for fools. PEOPLE PLEASE VOTE OBAMA.

September 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  23. Anonymous

wow, i didn't know normal "joe six-packs" like you have a tanning bed in their home, thanks

but seriously, please shut up already

September 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. Quentin

I can't understand why McCain picked Palin when there are many other qualified women to be VP.

If Obama picked Palin as his VP he might as well had gone back to Kansas and fly off to the Wizard of OZ....lol.....because he wouldn't get one vote

September 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  25. Jonathan Davis

The problem is that you are Joe Six-Pack. Joe Six-Pack is the guy you want to sit in your back yard and have a burger with, but I want the smartest person I can find to run the country. We just had 8 years of a doofus and I just can't get my head around the desire expressed by so many to have an even dumber doofus to replace him. Maybe she could run a "Burger King" or even the State of Alaska, but to run the world? Get Real.

September 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |