October 1st, 2008

Palin: I'm a 'Joe-six pack American'

Gov. Palin met with fellow mothers of U.S. soldiers while campaigning in Philadelphia Sunday.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) - Sarah Palin on Tuesday called herself a “Joe-six pack American” and said that her family has lost $20,000 in the stock market because of the financial meltdown on Wall Street.

Palin made the comments in a radio interview with conservative talker Hugh Hewitt while taking a break from debate prep at John McCain’s ranch in Sedona.

“I know what Americans are going through there,” Palin said on the radio show. “And you know, even today, Todd and I are looking at what’s going on in the stock market, the relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we’re taking, probably $20,000 dollars last week in his 401K plan that was hit.

“I’m thinking, ‘Geez, the rest of America, they’re facing the exact same thing that we are. We understand what the problems are.’”

Earlier: Palin takes a dig at Biden's age?

Hewitt asked Palin her reaction to the “extreme hostility” that she has faced from liberals.

“Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

Filed under: Economy • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. Doraine Gordon

This woman is crazy! Who in their right mind would want her in the Whitehouse? After listening to her screech owl voice answering Katie Couric's questions, I am nauseous. Send her back to Alaska....Doraine in Texas

September 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. T

Mrs. Palin's extreme right wing Christian views should make us all pause. In light of the Church Age being over, evangelicals are in complete denial of this fact. She may just be a hey there but the Govenor could be extremely dangerous with her radical views.

Hopefully, McCain,72, will retire now.

September 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. Democrat Voting For McCain / Palin !

Sarah , You Remind Me Of A Young Hillary Clinton , Lots Of Grit , And Determination . I Am Very Inpressed With John McCain's Pick .

I Won't Be Voting The Democrat Ticket , I Proudly Will be Voting John McCain / Sarah Palin President & Vice President Of The United States Of America . 2008 , 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. Carlos

check your facts Mr. Hewitt, the "extreme hostility" is'nt just coming from liberals; your own people are being just as vocal with their discontent!!!!

September 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. LeisureMaster

Yes Sarah, I actually do expect the Vice President to know more about the issues than I do. Most 'normal Six-Pack Americans' I know really aren't qualified for Vice President. If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

September 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. God Bless America

GREAT!!!!! MR. STONE AGE MARRIED TO MRS. BUDWISER HAS DECIDED TO PUT MRS.6PACK MARRIED TO MR. MOM ONE HEARTBEAT AWAY FROM RUNNING THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!

REBULICAN BUSH HAS PUT AMERICA IN THE COFFIN AND THIS SICK FATHER/DAUGHTER TEAM WILL NAIL US IN FOR SURE.

AMERICANS MIGHT WANT TO THINK OF ANOTHER COUNTRY TO EVACUATE INTO BECAUSE THE MCCAIN/PALIN HURRICANE WATCH IS A CATAGORY 50!.................................NO SURVIVORS!!!!!!!!!

GOD HELP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. A Woman In California For Obama:

Another blogger asked: why is she always around white people?

Actually, she was seen around someone black. That was her witch doctor minister (from Kenya) who prayed to cast evil spirits from her. Other than that-she devotes her "new energy" to those she feels can relate to her being a woman (white women). After all, there are no black women right? (Sarcasm)

CNN why aren't you playing those clips 24/7 of her witch doctor minister the way you did of Rev. Wright? Oh that's right-double standard....

As far as votes go, I guess she feels we are unimportant and she doesn't need our votes. Guess what Sarah-you do and you will also find our just how "important" our votes are in November as we won't be voting for YOU at least those of us who are sane and don't want to get blown up.

September 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. whatever

She lost $20K of what, a $2M portfolio? She's anything but a six-pack american.

September 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Daryl from Seattle

What in the heck is a "Joe six-pack American"???? So now she's making up her own lingo?? And who ever said liberals hate her? She's just a clutz and gets called out on it all the time. Just because that's what she's known for doesn't mean somebody is out to get her. If the shoe fits...

September 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. linda from South Dakota

my ,, this lady,, umm has guts to speak for us americans,, 6-pack joe huh??? care to explain that one ms palin??? think your days are numbered here missy,,,, pretty spouty ,, you are,,,, and dont u dare think you speak for us,,, ticked off>> wellits more than that ms palin,,,, you have quite a mouth there after bein hidden for a spell,,,, cant speak to reporters and then explain when you messup,, speakin of messin up,, whats this about you sayin things that your so called partner in this has spoken differently on?? think you and mccain better get together and telleach what you are talkin about,,, better yet,, keep up the great work ms palin,,,lol

September 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Noah from Philly

"Joe Six Pack"? Wasn't that W's gimmick? That turned out well! Forget credentials or ability, she can have a beer with me! She just earned my vote.

...

September 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  12. Wes

I'm certainly no "Liberal" nor "Conservative" for that matter, I'm one of those disappearing moderate independents. I know one thing for sure, I don't want "Joe Six-Pack" a heartbeat away from being president. Why do people think someone who is less than mediocre should be Vice President? America needs and deserves better than that.

We've had the proverbial "someone you can sit down and have a beer with" in the White House for almost 8 years, now I want someone with intelligence, especially now when this country faces some of the most complex issues, situations and relationships it has ever faced. Sorry, but "Joe Six-Pack" isn't going to cut it. Go back to Alaska Palin, please!

September 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  13. JN

Seriously...does she really talk this stupid or am I imagining this?? My 7 year old son talks better than her and he has autism!!! Who uses the world geez anymore. She doesn't sound smart at all..she sounds stupid!!

September 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. Lisa

All fluff no substance. That is why this liberal from Wasilla AK feels "extreme hostility" for Sarah Palin. She is a power hungry woman with the brain of a pit bull.

p.s. you can't see Russia from any backyard in Wasilla.

September 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  15. Mike

Palin's a ditz! She loves to talk the talk doesn't she?

I'd rather have a Sears mannequin taking the oath of office than this flake...

September 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  16. Julie

Wow – I think an average jr. high school student could express themselves more clearly and logically than Palin. Let's see, she makes fun of Biden because she, like, was watching Biden when she was in, like, second grade but her running mate would be the oldest president ever; when she laughed at Biden's age she expalins that she just wants to underscore that voters have a choice between a younger, fresher face and new ideas when she and McCain represent the incumbent party that has been a disaster for the U.S (and, of course, again McCain would be the oldest president but he's like "awesome"), and now people who are supporting the would be first black president are ticked off that a "normal" American is finally represented in the ticket. So now only intellectually impaired, helicopter hunting, hockey mom pit bulls are "normal" Americans. Sorry, not the role model I want second in command of the U.S. and, NO, it's not the reason people are "ticked off."

September 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Biff

That is EXACTLY what is wrong with the Palin pick.

That is EXACTLY what is wrong with the current President.

don't you think our leaders SHOULD be extraordinary?

we're talking about leading the most powerful country in history.

I don't want my leader belching, farting, and telling moose-hunting jokes to world leaders.....

September 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  18. judy, Wisconsin

We've had a stupid Joe six pack American and their crummy party for 8 yrs. and look at the disasters–she has no clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. Susan

She thinks she's a normal American? Is she crazy?

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Since we are in this mess because of a "six pack president", how about we get a president and vice president who are informed, INTELLIGENT and have at least some measure of actual personal honor? The only difference between Sarah Palin and George Bush is lipstick, and the only difference between her and Cheney is that she shoots wildlife instead of attorneys. Since John McCain has revealed a breathtaking lack of honor in his campaign, it is not surprising that he would endanger America with a clueless choice for VP who could end up at the helm if he drops dead from an anger-induced aneurysm.
    He should have chosen Romney, who is intelligent AND a "hottie".

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

I read the interview. Another soft-ball right wing interviewer "Hugh Blew-it"

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  22. Eric in New Castle

Thursday night is going to be the worst night in history for the GOP if Sarah Palin opens her mouth. Go home Sarah. McCain can't win with Palin. Send her home, It's our only chance.

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  23. RapidRay

Couric: And when it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?

Palin: I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

Couric: What, specifically?

Palin: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.

Couric: Can you name a few?

Palin: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, "Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?" Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

Why do get the distinct feeling you'll find a stack of "Field and Stream" magazines in her bathroom?
    And for the record...based on it's population, Alaska is a microcosm of any city bigger than Toledo, Ohio dontchaknow.

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. Patricia

Sure you are like the rest of the 21st Century!!! You are against Pro-Choice, You plan shot gun weddings, you have superman's eyes...seeing Russia, and you hear senator's speak before they started airing them... Whatever, just tell the first dud to take you back to the trailer park!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  25. Bernard Murphy

Hey Sarah – not all Joe six-pack Americans are Republicans. Quite a few are "liberals". Don't you think your comments might be offensive to them? Or maybe you don't care – they are a lost cause anyway? Hmm – sounds like elitism to me...

September 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |