October 2nd, 2008

Bloomberg wants change to allow 3rd term

Mayor Bloomberg is asking city council to change term limits.
Mayor Bloomberg is asking city council to change term limits.

NEW YORK (CNN) - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday he is asking the city council to change the office's two-term limit allow him to run for a third term.

"If the City Council should vote to amend term limits, I plan to ask New Yorkers to look at my record of independent leadership and then decide if I've earned another term," Bloomberg said in a news conference at City Hall.

The mayor, a billionaire businessman, is credited with helping New York City recover economically after the terror attacks on September 11, 2001, which felled the twin towers of the World Trade Center and killed more than 2,700 people.

Elected for the first time just two months after the attacks, Bloomberg pumped tens of millions of dollars of his own money into that campaign, as well as his bid for re-election in 2005.

"As a businessman with expertise on Wall Street and finance and as a mayor who has balanced budgets and delivered services, I can tell you that the enormity of the challenges ahead should not be underestimated," Bloomberg said.

"I care deeply about sustaining the progress we made and finishing the job the voters elected me to do."

Bloomberg, an independent since 2007, wants city council to change the current two-term limit law and offer voters another choice.

"As always, it will be up to the people to decide, not me," he said.

In 2005, Bloomberg easily defeated his Democratic opponent, Fernando Ferrer, the former Bronx borough president, who was never able to gain any traction against the popular incumbent.

Bloomberg runs Bloomberg L.P., a global communications company that provides news and financial services to thousands of businesses worldwide.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. There are Rules for a Reason!

Term limits are set for a reason. Being a New Yorker, NYC should be able to have some FRESH options to the Mayoral job. Mike had his time, did what he could and did it well for the most part...however that shouldn't be the determining factor in completely over-riding the RULES. God help us if Guliani had a shot at a 3rd term... the pendulum swings both ways- if they change it for the good guy it could then also apply to the bad guy. Hence the reasoning of the rule regardless of circumstance.
    If he wants it that bad he can run again in 4 years... but for now, he has to abide by the rules- not adjust them to suit his own desires.

October 2, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Just ask John McCain

Hey Bloomberg.....Maybe you can get John McCain to play a game of switch-a-roo for you. He has become LESS than honorable in these last few weeks. His judgement is erratic and irresponsible and at this point he has nothing else to lose.

October 2, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Alisa

I say NO, NO, NO! I am a New Yorker, and I fully support term limits. Bloomberg VETOED a measure overturning term limits for other city politicians. How self-serving is that? If we could manage to hold an election less than 2 months after 9-11, then what makes him think that we can't elect someone else to be mayor during this so-called financial crisis. The truth is is that he hasn't had time to complete all the sweetheart deals for the fat cat developers he has planned and that's why he wants another term. He does not care for the citizens of this city, this is nothng more self-aggrandizing power grabbing move.

October 2, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Rick

I work in NYC and think Bloomberg has done a terrific job. He's been a mayor to all the people, not just Manhattan. He's done a lot to foster redevelopment in the outer boroughs and the continue to make this a safer and cleaner place to work. Nevertheless, term limits are the law and I don't think they should be changed. Too bad we can't get the same for Congress. Most of those infantile blowhards should have been gone a long time ago.

It's too bad Bloomberg isn't running for President. He's far better than the choices we have now. He's got much solid executive experience, both in governement and in the private sector – something none of the major party candidates can claim. He is also financially savvy, understands the markets, the economy and what moves them. And he won't promise something that's unaffordable simply because it sounds good (but his honesty in that regard would also probably make him unelectable vs. the crap we are being fed now).

October 2, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Ted

As a New Yorker and as a Democrat, I approve a 3rd term. Even thought it is a power grab, he has done undeniable good for my city.

October 2, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  6. PB

I see a lot of partisan attacks here on the right. I'm a proud Democrat and have been almost all my life, but a lot of the claims here are ridiculous. Bloomberg was a lifelong Democrat who essentially switched parties right before the mayor race because the eight year incumbent was a (liberal) Republican and he thought he could win much easier. And then probably realizing that his views on national security were the only thing he really had in common with the majority of the GOP, he switched to an independent in 2007. He is a social liberal, economic moderate, and foreign affairs conservative. I'd like to see you point out how in fact this makes him a typical republican. That being said, I don't support a third term either, but I will not dismiss him because of his former political party.

October 2, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. maria Mtl, Can.

Wow big EGO no doubt...

October 2, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  8. mitch

whatever happened to just following the law? go do something else! government gets too comfortable ,when new folks aren't brought in to make sure things aren't being 'hidden'.

October 2, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. abraham

the same as Bloomberg takes credit for the after 9/11 economic buildup (if yes...?)he should take full credited for the the economic crisis
    dump Bloomy

October 2, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. Steve Elliott

No way Mayor.............so you can go out and run some more vigilante attempts at your inane gun control?

You have over-stayed your welcome.

October 2, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. mary in new york

Oh the arrogance of this man – like he is the only one who can lead in a crisis. Yikes. I hope the city counsel does the end run around the voters and lets him run. Then the voters can vote him out! I don't know whether his head or his balls are bigger, but either way, he is permanently disfigured in my book. Mike, get a life!

October 2, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. LB

The two term limit was set for a reason and it should stay that way, but since I live in one of the plain states and don't know any more about this Mayor than Palin knows about the lower 48 states, I'm not qualified to discuss anything regarding New York. just as she's not qualified to run as VP.

October 2, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

Why won't any mainstream media outlet run a story about McCain talking to his Vietnamese captors!?!?

He prides himself on being such a POW war hero, but the truth is that he squeeled like a pig and honorable American soldiers died as a result! Other men were court martialed for the same offense that he did! But because he was an admiral's son (and grandson), he did not get punished.

He was called Songbird because he "sang" to his captors so readily. He even said that he broke during the convention!! This is not a secret but no one even mentions it!!!

No traitors in the White House!

O'8

October 2, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. SV

THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING

October 2, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. dittohead with forty names

Well N.Y may as well be like that little country in the middle east,lets just call him the Prime Minister Bloomberg.

October 2, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  16. indy chris

I don't like term limits. Seems to me that I should be able to vote for anyone I want. How can I vote for anyone I want if they're not allowed to run?

October 2, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. Jeff of Peoria

I was hoping he was going to run for President. That would get me to vote for a Democrat unless he went Indepenent. THEN INDEPENDENT!!!

October 2, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |