October 2nd, 2008

Bloomberg wants change to allow 3rd term

Mayor Bloomberg is asking city council to change term limits.
Mayor Bloomberg is asking city council to change term limits.

NEW YORK (CNN) - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday he is asking the city council to change the office's two-term limit allow him to run for a third term.

"If the City Council should vote to amend term limits, I plan to ask New Yorkers to look at my record of independent leadership and then decide if I've earned another term," Bloomberg said in a news conference at City Hall.

The mayor, a billionaire businessman, is credited with helping New York City recover economically after the terror attacks on September 11, 2001, which felled the twin towers of the World Trade Center and killed more than 2,700 people.

Elected for the first time just two months after the attacks, Bloomberg pumped tens of millions of dollars of his own money into that campaign, as well as his bid for re-election in 2005.

"As a businessman with expertise on Wall Street and finance and as a mayor who has balanced budgets and delivered services, I can tell you that the enormity of the challenges ahead should not be underestimated," Bloomberg said.

"I care deeply about sustaining the progress we made and finishing the job the voters elected me to do."

Bloomberg, an independent since 2007, wants city council to change the current two-term limit law and offer voters another choice.

"As always, it will be up to the people to decide, not me," he said.

In 2005, Bloomberg easily defeated his Democratic opponent, Fernando Ferrer, the former Bronx borough president, who was never able to gain any traction against the popular incumbent.

Bloomberg runs Bloomberg L.P., a global communications company that provides news and financial services to thousands of businesses worldwide.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Abby

why not? you're rick so chage the rules.

October 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Mike, I like you. Especially after you went to Florida to tell people that Obama is not going to do anything to hurt the state of Israel.

I also like the fact that there are rules. And when there are rules, we have to abide by those rules.

Push Obama and you can become Treasury Sec'y or some other high profile person in his administration.

October 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Kelby from Houston, TX

I say, allow the change. We got a mayor down here in Houston named Bill White. This guy is the bomb. He is one of the best mayors we have had. We have term limits here too. I think we should change them for the individual who proves themselves to be exceptional leaders

October 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Amber

Good, I hope he gets it. NYC needs someone as smart as Bloomberg. We all do. He'd make a good VP.

Clinton/Bloomberg 2012

October 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Stacy from Loudoun County, VA

Rudy's mad because he didn't think of this.

October 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. What Happened CNN?

First of all CNN, don't leave us hanging like this. Try to have one post open so we can blog.

Thanks,
    Loyal Blogger

October 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. C. N.

you want to know what i think. i dont think that they should add a second term. i think they should get rid of the second term and just stick to one term. eliminating the 2nd tem would enable the us to have more of a change in there lives.

October 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. Kevin,FL

He's a good mayor so why not

October 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. ENE M DIAZ

TONIGHT NATIONWIDE THE POLL SHOWS THAT ALL ELEGIBLE USA VOTERS QUESTIONED , 75%, FAVORABLY OPINION TO SARAH PALIN//////////////////////////

October 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Nicky

I don't know anything about this guy or this topic, I'm doing this because I have to. I think the term thingy should stay 2 terms. I don't think it should go up to 3. I don't know why I think this. I just do. Is this 5-7 sentences yet?

October 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. MCCRYPT "I WOULD RATHER LOSE AN ELECTION, THAN ADMIT ID LIED"!

Wish granted!

October 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. TESAP;SAVANNAH GA

I SAY GO FOR IT..............

October 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. chatmandu

No way....

October 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Kambiz Rahnavardy

I absolutely support this. He is arguably the main reason NYC is still standing on its feet, and considering the expected harsh months and years that would befall NYC's financial health and even solvency, he should be there as mayor to lead.

October 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. McCain is a Filthy Liar

Let him run. Term Limits were not part of Original Constitution for Federal Office. Why apply them to State or Municipal level?

October 2, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Robocop68

I think its good because we need the people thats already been there done that. The new people comes inand cant handle the pressure. I think that if we let someone new that has not been trained then we are heading to desater. you have to think about the future. Do we have a bright or a lame future. Well it depend on how we elect politics

October 2, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. Michael

Alexis wrote – "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Out with the old and in with the new!! If thats the case go ahead and give Clinton a third term, and OHHHHHH! My goodness BUSH having a third term!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Bush is going for a 3rd term, hes called McCain

October 2, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. CB

I agree with you, if he is anything like bush i dont think alot will get done.....
    personally not knowing anything about the debate.... but knowing what was in the past dont need to happen again. Our Economy is already messed up.

October 2, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  19. Darryl

This is totally up to the People of New York!!!!! May God continue to Bless the People of New York and all who live and strive to life there..

Darryl for Obama

October 2, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  20. Greg

He is just another bleeding heart liberal, his agenda should be stopped.

October 2, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  21. JH

Oh no. Two terms is enough. I don't think most New Yorkers would have made it through a 3rd Giulianni term. Mr. Bloomberg may be rich, but that doesn't mean he should get special treatment. He should be treated like everyone else and if everyone else cant get a third term neither should he be able to get what he wants.

October 2, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  22. Doug R.

He must think he's special. I say NO.

October 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  23. Bruce

Nope 2 terms is enough...
    In fact I would like it all positions were for one six year term, that way no relelection issues and things might get done.
    I would support this for Pres. Congress,,,,first and formost, get rid of the log jam worrying about relection.

October 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  24. Truth Hurts

Well come to Zimbabwe nor wanting to ceed power.

October 2, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |