October 2nd, 2008

Bloomberg wants change to allow 3rd term

Mayor Bloomberg is asking city council to change term limits.
Mayor Bloomberg is asking city council to change term limits.

NEW YORK (CNN) - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday he is asking the city council to change the office's two-term limit allow him to run for a third term.

"If the City Council should vote to amend term limits, I plan to ask New Yorkers to look at my record of independent leadership and then decide if I've earned another term," Bloomberg said in a news conference at City Hall.

The mayor, a billionaire businessman, is credited with helping New York City recover economically after the terror attacks on September 11, 2001, which felled the twin towers of the World Trade Center and killed more than 2,700 people.

Elected for the first time just two months after the attacks, Bloomberg pumped tens of millions of dollars of his own money into that campaign, as well as his bid for re-election in 2005.

"As a businessman with expertise on Wall Street and finance and as a mayor who has balanced budgets and delivered services, I can tell you that the enormity of the challenges ahead should not be underestimated," Bloomberg said.

"I care deeply about sustaining the progress we made and finishing the job the voters elected me to do."

Bloomberg, an independent since 2007, wants city council to change the current two-term limit law and offer voters another choice.

"As always, it will be up to the people to decide, not me," he said.

In 2005, Bloomberg easily defeated his Democratic opponent, Fernando Ferrer, the former Bronx borough president, who was never able to gain any traction against the popular incumbent.

Bloomberg runs Bloomberg L.P., a global communications company that provides news and financial services to thousands of businesses worldwide.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Andy

Typical Democrat posing as a Republican to get elected.

Ever wonder why Liberals have to hide their Liberalism, yet Conservatives are proud that they are Conservatives?

October 2, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  2. john

too late. Who do you think you are, Rudy? He wanted to "save" us after 9/11, and you want to do it after the Wall Street crisis. Too bad. I kow yu are qualified, but the people have spoken on this one.

October 2, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  3. A Boston

Nice!!

OBAMA 08

October 2, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  4. Rex Savage

I was worried that Bush might try that tactic – hey, he still might. If he can get 75 senators to back his kakameemee $1.000.000.000.000,00 pay-off to the tycoons on Wall Street he can surely find enough morons to change the constitution to allow him to continue to f^** up this country for four more years. Isn't he the one who got 77 senators to vote for the Iraq thingy? In the words of a famous actor "HOO – HAW".

October 2, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Chris, Washington DC

I think Mr. Bloomberg is an incredible mayor – I'm so impressed with his life story and his actions on behalf of the city he loves – more cities in this country deserve a mayor with his knowledge, service, and dedication. What better than to have a self-made business tycoon steering the course for the city's development. New York City is blossoming on many fronts under his leadership. I wish him well – and hope that if he does get a 3rd term, NYC citizens realize what a great gift it is to their city.

October 2, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Mr. Brooklynite

Normally I would be against it, but Mayor Bloomberg has done an outstanding job in this city considering the financial farce going on right now. I would vote for him AGAIN.

October 2, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Matt

Who does he think he is? Chavez pulled the same crap in Venezuela. Term Limits exist for a reason. Run for another elected office if you're so power hungry.

October 2, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Paul Robinson

No! The laws are set. New blood needs to be injected into the process, as has been the point of the constitution at all levels of government.

I'm sure Mayor Bloomberg can continue to be influential even if he's not sitting in this particular seat of power at the time.

October 2, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  9. mitch

when someone requests term limits be suspended for themselves, i find their request questionable.

October 2, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Roger Johnson

Is he suggesting there is no one like him? That he is the only one that can resolve the problems he says he wants to solve? I certainly do not think so.

October 2, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Charlotte

You people think a third term is automatic win? What is to keep someone from padding their own pockets if they can't run again? What do they have to lose?

October 2, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. @ NYC

he has my vote although I'm also in favor of term limits. tough call. whatever be said, hats off to Bloomberg for doing a terrific job in nyc.

October 2, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. Independent in NC

I agree, term limits for everyone. Especially Congress. The same people are there 20, 30 years making policy and furthering their friends' interests, and yet we wonder how our economy goes down the tubes.

October 2, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. Truth Hurts

there are many more good mayors out there give them a chance go away 2 terms are more than enough for one person

October 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. Scott NYC Independent

He's been a good Mayor – I'd consider it for him but when Gulliani wanted it I would have moved if it had happened.

October 2, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. Brad

Who is he now? Hugo Chavez? Two terms means two terms, buddy. You can't just change it because you wanna.

October 2, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. Not So Fast...

Rock on Sarah…………send that thug back to Chicago
    –baby moma
    --------------------------------
    Dear Baby Moma,

The only thugs are the Republicans, and as for sending Senator Obama back to Chicago, I agree. Send him back to pack his bags, because he's going to have a very long stay in Washington, D.C.

Watch for me in January, at the inauguration.

October 2, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. Ned, FL

New Yorkers can decide, I dont' have a dog in this hunt.

Obama/Biden 08

October 2, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Tony

NE M DIAZ!

YOU SHOULD GET A JOB WITH MCCAIN'S CAMPAIGN. YOU ARE AS DELUSIONAL AS THEY ARE.

LATEST WASHINGTON POST / ABC NEWS POLL SHOWS THAT 6 IN 10 AMERICANS HAVE AN UNFAVORABLE OPINION OF PALIN. SHE HAS FALLEN TO A 43% APPROVAL RATING SINCE BEING NAMED TO THE TICKET FROM A 59% APPROVAL RATING FROM SEVERAL WEEKS AGO.

WAKE UP HONEY!

October 2, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  20. Sharon, OH

He doesn't have to be the mayor to help the city. Has he ever thought about Governor?

Obama/Biden

October 2, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. Turning the page

Bloomberg has now proven he's another typical politician – never wanting to vacate the political stage. This is no different than dictators around the world who have had constitutions changed so they could remain in power – Putin in Russia, Mugabe in Zimbabwe, Mseveni in Uganda, Chavez in Venezuela and countless others.

I used to respect mayor Bloomberg!

October 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  22. Bacusla

This is why an education is such a necessity, to shift boundaries is the height of indiscipline – regardless of the Mayor's utility – when he terms out, he must go. This is an attempt at a bad example or precedent.

October 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  23. b

If the people of NYC "voted" for twice to keep term limits to two terms, why is he taking it upon himself to run again. This is what the VOTERS of NYC voted for!!!
    To say that he is running for a third term is not right!! Move on and give someone else a chance..

October 2, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  24. judge huck

Two is good enough, and even if you seek re-election and run against.. ah.. i don't know.. Bil Clinton, you won't have chance.

October 2, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. b_o_b

It is still in the voters hands, if the majority wants him back then he will win if not he won't. Personally, as a resident of the city, I would vote for him.

October 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |